Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • When did the National Front or BNP start infesting this forum ?
  • hels
    Free Member

Last week we had the guy with the email about Muslims taking over Britain wrapped in a prison guard story, now the Hitler apologist (in fact not even apologising for burning 6 million jews he probably thinks that was all made up by the Israelis) infiltrating the thread about Israel/Iraq/Obama.

Much more of this and I will stop coming on here, except maybe to check who is advertising here and make sure I don’t buy their products.

Shame – this used to be fun.

hora
    Free Member

Getting too serious isnt fun either. Work is for seriousness.

hels
    Free Member

True – but I think I have been sickened by the harmful ignorance and misinformation just once too often.

If they would just perhaps sign-post it “Warning – Racist Propoganda” maybe that would be helpful ?

The I could stick to smirking at the woman using the oldest and most desparate trick in the book to attract male interest – pseudo-lesbianism…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hels – the answer is two fold IMO
    1) Set about them on the forum – let them know its unacceptable and show them for the nasty ignorant numpties they are
    2) report the posts.

Rule 4 – No posts, including links to other sites that are deemed to be of a sexual or distasteful nature, incite racial or sexist behaviour or are in any way discriminatory and/or offensive towards individuals or minority groups (That includes singlespeeders!)

Leaving is letting them win and impoverishes the forum

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Singletrackworld has always been populated by idiots – it’s part of the charm. I don’t agree with lots of what’s written on here but I just decide the poster is a moron and go on about my business. If you don’t like it, there are plenty of other forums out there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ is bang on. Don’t stand for it.

EDIT – Also, I see lots of suff I don’t like/can’t be bothered with/don’t agree with on STW. Generally I just don’t read it, and if I do read it, I don’t comment.

HTTP404
    Free Member

It’s great to debate on a forum. Unfortunately , you sometimes have to debate with the ignorant and stupid.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

……and/or offensive towards individuals…..

I find the far left almost as distasteful and offensive as the far right, but I’d never wish to censor someone’s opinions either way.

As TJ says, either challenge their beliefs in a sensible and well-thought out way or don’t read the threads. Don’t start whinging that “its not how it used to be” because aside from the higher volume of posts generated by a larger amount of users it is, and thats based on my ever-so-humble experience stretching back to the days when you didn’t have to register to post (ah, happy days) on here.

Its always been a place where random chit chat, bicycle mleh and occasionally controversial opinions are mashed together.

hora
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, there are plenty of other forums out there.

Exactly.

trailmonkey

I don’t know what the OP is on about ?????????? I can’t see any Hitler apologists on the Iran/Isreal thread. I see someone making reference to Nazi Germany’s interpretation of British foreign policy.

Have I missed something ?

surfer
    Free Member

Its always been a place where random chit chat, bicycle mleh and occasionally controversial opinions are mashed together

I agree, as someone who voices an opinion (forcefully on some subjects) this board is largely well policed and the majority of time polite.
    Lots is lost in the medium and I have no doubt that I may come across (as lots of us do) as arrogant etc however I try to always post as if I was face to face without descending into name calling *.

* Disclaimer: Doesnt apply to Rudeboy 😉

hora
    Free Member

Funny thing is, its a mountain bike forum- a member hurts himself at the weekend (some wish him well)- 28 posts. Also on this forum, a member quips about being potentially attracted to the same-sex- guess what? currently at 60posts and rising. Outstanding.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hels – I have just had a glance thru the thread – If you mean Grizzlygus posts I really don’t thnk thats what he believes in any way. A debating device only. Not quite reductio ad absurdum but similar.

surfer
    Free Member

Could the Hitler apologist be the tongue in cheek post by Coffeeking?

Edit: sorry GrizzlyGus not Coffeeking!

porterclough
    Free Member

Grizzlygus was making some sort of rhetorical point I think, though badly as he seems to have lost everyone. Not easy to follow his arguments IMHO.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

WARNING – This internet may contain nuts, as well as opinions that differ from your own.

surfer
    Free Member

I think a blind man on a galloping horse could see he was being ironic!

stuckinarut
    Free Member

I am more concerned about this:

hora – Member

Work is for seriousness.

😯 I thought it was for browsing STW until time to ride home.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’m sort of lost as to the point GG is trying to make in that thread.

Is it something along the lines of Great Britain didn’t really have much room to criticise Germany in 1939 as GB at the time had the largest empire the world had ever seen or something?

porterclough
    Free Member

sootyandjim – no, his point is that Israel’s reasons for defending itself can be made to sound similar to Germany’s reasons for WW2. He’s wrong, but that’s his position.

hels
    Free Member

I don’t know – it worries me when people don’t confront racist propaganda. “its not my problem” well when is it your problem, when they come in the night and take your neighbours away ?

Yes, I could stop using the forum, but how many people are being converted by all this ??

It is complicity by inaction if you ask me. And yes, I know you didn’t ask me, I am just using my right to exercising my right to express my opinion. Ignore me if you wish.

You would hope that STW might find it a problem when they start losing advertisers, or perhaps the racist pound is as good as any other.

MrAgreeable

Hels, I find some of the threads on here pretty distasteful but I think you picked an interesting couple of examples.

In the case of the Muslim-bashing thread, the guy who started it probably wanted to drum up some support for his anti-Muslim views but almost no-one joined in and he ended up disowning the chain email he originally posted.

In the Israel/Palestine thread, I very much doubt that the guy posting the comments about Hitler is a BNP member – he seems to be trying to make a point (perhaps too subtly) that Hitler was seen as harmless and a potential ally by lots of world leaders until the extent of his activities became clear.

It’s an internet forum, and all human life is here. There doesn’t seem to be a dominant agenda, and even if individual threads can contain some views that are really objectionable there’s generally someone on hand to present a differing one and correct any nonsense that’s being spouted.

trailmonkey

or perhaps the racist pound is as good as any other.

#

I think you’ll find that if we took every racist pound out of the equation, we’d have the economy of a small African republic.

surfer
    Free Member

Hels I am not sure anyone can see the point you are making.
    I for one would not tolerate what you describe and I suspect the majority of those that frequent the site wouldn’t either.

andywhit
    Free Member

Wow, Gus has hooked a few fish with that one hasn’t he 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Infesting? Two threads I didn’t even bother to read. Perhaps there is a cbeebies forum you can join or similar.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

……..but how many people are being converted by all this ??

Although the smattering of STW users I actually know is very small compared to the overall membership and therefore my sample is low I’d hazard a guess at “very few”.

The STW users I know come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have a wide variety of views but I’m not sure (pretty sure infact) any of them are so weak-minded that they’d be convinced to change their political viewpoint based on a rant on a MTBing forum.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wow, Gus has hooked a few fish with that one hasn’t he

Ahh it’s GG is it? He’s stirring, he loves it. I’ve met him a few times and I know he likes to play Devil’s Advocate…..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

* Disclaimer: Doesnt apply to Rudeboy

I’m flattered I mean that much to you.

Want a signed picture?

Dave
    Free Member

You would hope that STW might find it a problem when they start losing advertisers, or perhaps the racist pound is as good as any other.

The forum is moderated, all you have to do is alert a moderator by pressing the

Report-Post

at the bottom of each posting.

Did you do that before you started this thread?

surfer
    Free Member

Seen the Mugshot!!!

Still not sleeping well.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh!

When you go to bed at night, when you close your eyes, I will be there; etched onto your soul…

tyger
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable, for the record, I’m not anti-Muslim nor a BNP supporter. The email was sent to me NOT written by me. I was interested to see how many others had been sent the email and whether or not there was any grounds to it’s content. It then got hi-jacked and I was enemy no 1. Read it again if you don’t believe me. In heignsight I wouldn’t have posted it and I’m genuinely sorry for any offence caused but none was meant.
    There was a link to Snopes which was posted and very helpful – I don’t think there was any links to the BNP also.
    Cheers T

hels
    Free Member

All very interesting and useful, thanks people. Will report all threads with racist content in future – does that mean they will be deleted ? (and yes I did attempt to report the thread last week to the mods but incorrectly it transpires)

Tyger – pleased to hear you aren’t a racist, but posting that stuff just spreads it further, accept that you meant well.

I think I must just have a low tolerance for this kind of thing. Perhaps it was the 20 years I spent working for the Simon Weisental Centre (joke !!)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

hels – Member

All very interesting and useful, thanks people. Will report all threads with racist content in future – does that mean they will be deleted ?

Hopefully that will depend on the context, otherwise what you’re suggesting is absurd.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Is it ok for me to have a healthy/unhealthy discussion about Nazi Germany and Hitler or is it any reference to them you object to?

Just checking

I only ask because i must have watched about 10hrs worth of You Tube and downloads over the last few weeks regarding Hitler because i found it interesting. Regardless of my beliefs, as long as it is not racist material, who are you to tell someone on the forum what is and isnt allowed to be discussed. I for one would really enjoy reading a Nazi thread.

MrAgreeable

Tyger, sorry to single you out but the way I read that thread, you posted an email which you said was from “a reliable source”, which was a tired retread of the usual all-Muslims-are-suicide-bombers scaremongering rubbish. You’ve also made comments in the past along the lines that Muslims are more favourably treated by society than Christians. You’re quite welcome to do that, of course, but you shouldn’t be surprised if people then feel you’re being anti-Muslim, and you get criticised for it.

enfht
    Free Member

Maybe the frequent marxist posts on STW are attracting unwanted attention from the “bover” boys. Different ends of the same sh*t-stick.

Queue RudeBoy response along the lines of “I pity you, you flaming nazi”

RudeBoy
    Free Member

enfht; do you want a signed pic as well?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Why does free speech* stop at racism?

*I understand the STW is not really a forum of free speech

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘When did the National Front or BNP start infesting this forum ?’ is closed to new replies.