• This topic has 53 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • What’s your best , most iconic TV sporting commentary moment ?
  • kiwijohn

Jonah Lomu v England.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Some of David Coleman’s best Colemanballs:

“That’s the fastest time ever run – but it’s not as fast as the world record.”

“A truly international field, no Britons involved.”

“The Republic of China – back in the Olympic Games for the first time.”

“Don’t tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let’s just have another look at Italy’s winning goal.”

“He’s 31 this year – last year he was 30.”

“He just can’t believe what’s not happening to him.”

“In a moment we hope to see the pole vault over the satellite.”

“He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62.”

“It’s gold or nothing … and it’s nothing. He comes away with the silver medal.”

“There is Brendan Foster, by himself with 20,000 people.”

“Forest have now lost six matches without winning.”

“The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel.”

“And here’s Moses Kiptanui – the 19-year-old Kenyan who turned 20 a few weeks ago.”

“If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.”

“This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning.”

“I think there is no doubt, she’ll probably qualify for the final.”

“Nobody has ever won the title twice before. He (Roger Black) has already done that.”

“Both of the Villa scorers – Withe and Mortimer – were born in Liverpool as was the Villa manager Ron Saunders who was born in Birkenhead.”

“And the line-up for the final of the women’s 400 metres hurdles includes three Russians, two East Germans, a Pole, a Swede and a Frenchman.”

“We estimate, and this isn’t an estimation, that Greta Waltz is 80 seconds behind.”

surfer
    Free Member

“one man’s blazing speed, that has torn this field asunder” –Ron Pickering, commentating for BBC Television. Steve Ovett launched himself into fame in 1977 at the IAAF World Cup by taking victory with one of the most amazing finishing kicks ever”

njee20
    Free Member

Am I missing something, the Danny Hart video linked to has no commentary at all for me, just the ambient sound.

That is definitely my answer, I still watch it periodically, it’s truly phenomenal, as a piece of athleticism and the presentation thereof!

toofarwest

CaptainFlashheart

“Kirkpatrick to Williams.

Saw the thread title and immediately thought of this clip….

Vinte
    Free Member

Cor, Ryan Giggs, you know? Giggsy, isn’t it? Mmm? Giggsy-Wiggsy? Mmm? Oh! Ryan-y Giggsy-Wiggsy. Isn’t it? You know, marvellous.

BillMC

As a kid I was watching TV with my parents and the continuity announcer meant to say ‘and for those of you up at 11 tonight will be in for a fair share of grumble and groan’ (International Wrestling) but it came out as ‘grumble and grunt’. As cockneys, we were amused.

towzer

“Oh, he’s got him with a right hand, oh you can’t believe it… Ali’s doing his shuffle and I don’t think Foreman’s going to get up… he’s trying to beat the count… and he’s out! Oh my God, he’s won the title back at 32! He took on Foreman at his own game and he beat him at it!”

Harry H Carpenter, Rumble in the Jungle

gwaelod
    Free Member

That Danny Hart one is my all time favourite…but rugby fans of a particular vintage surely enjoyed this Butler and Moore classic.

Shave away Gavin!!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Way back when in the 70’s Tyne Tees Television had a Sunday afternoon football highlights programme called “Shoot”
    Newcastle had a centre forward called Paul Cannell ..
    Wolstenholme’s commentary went along the lines of ..In comes the cross and there’s a shot and it’s a goal f’ Cannell..”
    Another that made me titter..oooerr missus.. was I think David Coleman commentating on a European Athletics championship final in which their was a sprinter called Koch .. * and Koch’s pulling away ” made a schoolboy giggle

scuttler

Castleford v Wigan best video ever – straight to the top of my yoochoob faves

jree
    Free Member

Agreed. Heard it so many times but every time I crack up!

Houns

What makes that Castleford v Wigan clip even better? Yes that’s right*, it’s Dickie Bird commentating

*ah imagine if it was and that’s what he was really like

toby1

JOOONNNNEEEESSSS

And one with Walker claiming nothing could stop Mansell now, shortly before a tire falls off, or the car catches fire, or he runs out of fuel, you know the drill!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What’s your best , most iconic TV sporting commentary moment ?’ is closed to new replies.