• This topic has 53 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What’s your best , most iconic TV sporting commentary moment ?
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

For me off the top of my head it has to be Kenneth Wolstenholme’s ” They think it’s all over, it is now ” just because of the sheer scale of the achievement for England to win the world cup on their home turf . Although “How does he sit down with balls that big ” by Rob Warner runs it close .

isitafox
    Free Member

Kammy missing the red card at Portsmouth was absolute gold and still leaves me in tears when I watch it

baddddad
    Free Member
    sheck

‘Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is, you know… OH, I SAY! Brilliant! That… is… Schoolboys’ Own stuff!’

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Kirkpatrick to Williams. This is great stuff! Phil Bennett covering. Chased by Alistair Scown. Brilliant! Oh, that’s brilliant! John Williams, Bryan Williams. Pullin. John Dawes. Great dummy! To David, Tom David, the halfway line. Brilliant by Quinnell! This is Gareth Edwards! A dramatic start… what a score!”

andygreener

2012 Champions League Semi Final. Chels Barca.
    And the final as well fir that matter.

csb

Aggers at the cricket world cup final and the bbc commenyatros when jenny jones won snowboard olympic bronze

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Peter Aliss can be very dry with his humour . I remember somebody missed a tiny put to win a big tournament and he said , dry as you like ” probably not the best moment to ask him for his autograph “

csb

I have no idea what a commenyatro is but it sounds cool and snowboardey

donald
    Free Member

theotherjonv

David Platt swivels as the ball comes over his shoulder, the ball floats past Jean-Michel Pfaff’s outstretched hand,

“and England have done it! In the last minute of extra time!”

For the moment, where I was, the people I was with possibly the single best 3 seconds of my life. Still tingles now.

I’m too young to know the 1966 one for real, but of course that is iconic. I don’t know if you’ve heard the retelling where he said he wasn’t even really trying to score, he said he was just knackered, couldn’t run any further and thought that the harder he hit it, the further over the bar it would go and the longer it would take to get back……

matt_outandabout

🤪

DezB
    Free Member

Harry Carpenter losing all semblance of impartiality : “Get in there FRANK!”
    Bruno v Tyson 1989

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Can I say two?

Remember the Olympics a good while ago, when one of the GB rowing teams (eights I think) won the gold medal – they had an ex-cox commentating and his voice just got higher and higher as it looked like they were going to clinch gold.

And nobody mentioned Phil Liggett on the 1987 La Plagne stage of the TdF when Stephen Roche chased down Pedro Delgado

Its Stephen Roche! (2:05 in)

jree
    Free Member

Wide to West. Eddie Hemmings. Unreal.

shinton
    Free Member

TV? I always feel that radio gives that extra edge e.g. Ian Robertson as a Scotsman describing Jonny Wilkonson’s drop goal to win the world cup, and I’m Welsh. The Rob Andrew “Yes, Yes” is the icing on the cake.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Two for me, Beckham banging that one in against Greece, but super saturday just eclipses every sporting moment I’ve ever had, my two kids watching mo, jess and Greg take 3 golds was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Today they both strive to win…

easily
    Free Member

“Good God Almighty! Good God Almighty! That’s killed him. As God is my witness, he’s broken in half!”

athgray
    Free Member

Kammy missing the red card at Portsmouth was absolute gold and still leaves me in tears when I watch it

This x1000. It’s pure comedy gold. “What…. a red card Geoff….. I must have missed that???. Whist turning back and forth.

“What has happened Chris Kamara?”

“I dont know Geoff.. I dont know?????”

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

“And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.”

jimdubleyou

holdsteady

tomhoward

Murray Walker giving a lengthy explanation of how a driver said he had been struggling with the car, blaming it on a turbo or something…

James Hunt, in response: ‘ and all I can say to that is bullshit’

James Hunt swears during live BBC broadcast of 1989 Monaco Grand Prix from formula1

mrb123
    Free Member

Phil and Paul when Armstrong rode through the field.

BBC commentary (John Lloyd?) as Murray wins Wimbledon.

Steve Cram has done some great work on the athletics, one of Mo’s gold medals and a couple of Bolt’s greatest runs sprint to mind.

twonks

kayak23

Came here to say Danny Hart, Champery but Moab got there 👍

STAY ON YOUR BIKE DANNY!

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I’ve never seen that Danny Hart video – that’s amazing!!

When he did that whip near the end – that was just awesome.

“How does he sit on that bike…..” 😂

shermer75
    Free Member

That Danny Hart video is incredible!

brant
    Free Member

Pagey (particularly) and Warner commentating on the Danny Hart run at Champery is just amazing.

What’s sad and interesting is that as far as I know Pagey hasn’t done any commentating since and Rob has cleaned his act up a lot, so clearly it crossed a line that someone was unhappy with.

Klunk
    Free Member

not really a commentary but…

Didn’t quite get his leg over

sorry jimdubleyou my browser doesn’t always format utube vids correctly so you don’t see whats been posted sometimes

pondo

“I’ve got to stop now as there’s a lump in my throat.”

scuttler

Was gonna put Liggett ‘that’s Stephen Roche’ but beaten to it. Good call. Loving the perennial Danny Hart at Champery.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Some great one’s above 🙂

“The batman’s Holding – the bowler’s Willey” – Brilliant!!

“Willey bowled Dilley, caught Lilley”

“For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is next to the brown”

Scapegoat

mefty
    Free Member

From the doyen of commentators, Barry Davies:

Where are the Germans? Frankly, who cares?

A rare bit of partiality during the Seoul Olympics

EDIT: The batman’s Holding – the bowler’s Willey – sadly a myth, I am great fun at cocktail parties

johndrummer
    Free Member

Clarke! One – Nil!

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s sad and interesting is that as far as I know Pagey hasn’t done any commentating since

Apparently he does World Champs for the BBC some years.

But we’re all watching it on Red Bull obvs.

He talks about it in a podcast from earlier this year, Downtime one probably. Well worth a listen, some great stories.

chakaping
    Free Member

‘Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is, you know… OH, I SAY! Brilliant! That… is… Schoolboys’ Own stuff!’

Hard to top this, for those of us of a certain age anyway.

What a team that was.

cookeaa

trailwagger
    Free Member

Hahahaha, that Castleford v Wigan is class !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What’s your best , most iconic TV sporting commentary moment ?’ is closed to new replies.