• This topic has 60 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • What’s the current favourite combo of Specialized tyres?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

So Hillbilly front and Slaughter on the rear?
    Need good all rounders all year round; hate changing

Tracey

I wouldn’t run a Slaughter rear all year round. If you want to fit and forget then Butcher or Eliminator on the back would be my choice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I run 2.6 Mary with slaughter grid all year round, for the same reason as Paul above, canny be arsed changing any more.

Between work, family and uni stuff, I don’t hardly have time to ride, never mind faff! 😂

You get used to relying on the front tyre a lot more, and the side knobs work really well if you lean over enough.

Tracey

You don,t get the Peak slop up North though 😉. Same as you I want to fit and forget. What size Slaughters are you on. We have a couple that wont get used, in the spares box as didn’t shift them at the bike Bonanza last weekend. If they are the right size you can have them next time we head North.
    I can always find time to ride but I hate faff

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tracey, I’m pretty sure the west of scotland gets similar slop to you ‘southerners’ (sorry, couldn’t resist! 🙂

I’m cool for spares, have another ready to go on once this ones done, hand em in to your local bike recycling place pal?

chiefgrooveguru

“Tracey, I’m pretty sure the west of scotland gets similar slop to you ‘southerners’ (sorry, couldn’t resist! 🙂”

As a seasoned mud connoisseur, I’ve found that there is more regional diversity in how wet dirt behaves than pretty much anything else in MTBing. Semi-slicks are just annoying in the wet down here in the deep south. Eliminator 2.3 rear works all year!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I ride predominantly at Woburn/Rushmere, Downs on occasion, FoD couple times a year, so for the most part I want an all year round fit and forget grippy front and nice rolling rear to replace my well used Nobby Nic’s.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m none the wiser 😂

gringo

I’d go Butcher front and Purgatory rear. Run that combo on my hardtail all year round.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

In 2.6 front and 2.3 rear @gringo ?

gringo

2.3 front and rear. Would consider the 2.6 but it wont fit in my forks

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Ta

PeteT

@paulneenan76 I’m a Rushmere / Woburn local too and I think you’ll be happy with that. I run something similar:

Hardtail – Ground Control front, Fast Trak rear. Ran 2 Fast Traks over the summer which also worked pretty well.
    FS – Butcher 2.3 up front and Slaughter or Purgatory on the back depending on weather.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Thanks Pete T. Front is sorted then; 2.6 Butcher. But on the back, I want the best compromise 2.3 tyre – cos I’m not changing a tyre based on weather – which is that? Slaughter or Purgatory?

Tracey

Butcher or Eliminator. Slaughter is like a Butcher edge and sidewall but the middle is slimmed down and different tread pattern. The Purgatory isn’t as strong as the Butcher or Eliminator. At one time our daughter was flatting on the rear with a Purgatory every race, usually between the treads as its thinner, which was quite demoralizing.
    Now competes with Butcher Butcher whatever the conditions
    The older type Purgatory Grids were alot stronger than the new Gripton Grids that are in the sale

PeteT

I’d go for the Purgatory, everyone’s different, but I haven’t found a need for something stronger myself.

I just use them for normal trail use (and a few trips to Morzine) rather than racing Enduro and I’ve had no issues. Last one was a Gripton Grid from the sale.

chiefgrooveguru

I really rate the Eliminator Grid 2.3 as a rear tyre. I haven’t used a Purgatory since I had a 26 x 2.2 Control back in 2010! Looking at the specs of that, I’m amused that my rear tyre is about 50% heavier than back then…

I don’t think the Butcher is as a good a rear tyre as the Eliminator.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Last question from me on this as if I dont buy these I never will, but, will the Butcher 2.6 fit in a non-Boost Pike?

Tracey

We have it in non Boost Pikes, Boost Revelations and Boost Lyriks All 29

chakaping
    Free Member

will the Butcher 2.6 fit in a non-Boost Pike?

Almost certainly as it actually measured 2.45in on my caliper.

Really didn’t like it though. I’d say to spend a tenner or so more on a Magic Mary 2.6 (though check that fits yr fork obvs).

RicB

will the Butcher 2.6 fit in a non-Boost Pike?

Yep- fitted in mine with plenty of room (27.5)

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What’s the current favourite combo of Specialized tyres?’ is closed to new replies.