Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What’s the current Chainstay Protector of choice these days?
  • ThePinkster

Hopefully my new full susser should finally arrive in the next couple of weeks so i’ll be looking for a new chainstay protector, preferably something that’ll look good rather than just a wrap of inner tube.

To make matters worse, the chainstays are pretty chunky so a standard neoprene protector may well not fit, so what else may do the job?

I’ve got a couple of big pieces of helicopter tape which I’m tempted to use but not sure how hard-wearing it would be to stick there, so looking for other suggestions as well.

Cheers

vincienup
    Free Member

Amalgamating tape for me.

nedrapier

I’d go for Heli tape if I had some. It’s made to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades against impact from small objects, so I’m sure it’ll be good for some light thwapping from your chain.

monkeyboyjc

+1 for Amalgamating tape, I just do a once over with oth tape over the top as It looks a little neater.

nedrapier

Gorilla tape for me, take the wheel out, tear off a strip, lay on top so it’s only touching the very top of the chainstay, then you can cut round the curve of the chainstay each side, so you haven’t got bunching and stretching.

fossy

3m helicopter tape if it’s not got something already there. Popped a layer over the ‘existing’ clear tape on one bike, and a ‘fresh layer on another’.

The 3m stuff is a little thicker. I have the 5cm wide stuff, so covers the outer edge, top, and part of the inner edge of the drive side chain stay.

jonathonoates
    Free Member

Renthal do neoprene in a couple of sizes. Perhaps that might fit?

Northwind

Mastic tape for me

paule
    Free Member

Strips of road bar tape where there could be an impact, then wrap over with insulation tape for me.

simondbarnes

Old inner tube for me. Works well, cheap.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gorilla tape does the job nicely

ThePinkster

Cheers for the link.

Think I’ll try the helicopter tape first as some of you seem to think it might work (yes, I know…) but might investigate the other options depending on how it goes.

Poopscoop

I’ve got the clear gorilla tape and the 3m stuff. Just as an fyi, the 3m is much thicker. More faff to fit though.

For convenient I used gorilla on the Winter bike and used 2 to 3 layers on the parts of the bike dependant on the protection required.

It might take the paint off, mind. However I’m going to use a fair amount of heat when I need to remove it and I reckon it’ll come off ok.

stevied
    Free Member

3M 2228 for me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Assuming it’s a proper new bike (rather than new to you), surely it comes already protected?

I cant remember the last time I had to fashion together some sort of chain stay protector. Every bike for years has come with something integrated (some better than others!) Most have pretty comprehensive coverage now.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

3M 2228 for me also. Cheap and easy to fit, but the biggest bonus is if it gets damaged it peels off easily and doesn’t damage the paint/lacquer underneath.

ThePinkster

Yep it’s a new new bike, not just new to me, but I’ve always managed to damage the drive-side chainstay on previous new bikes, partly heal rub, partly chainslap so want to avoid it as much as possible.

Interested in your definition of ‘cheap’ for the 2228 tape as all I can find looks quite expensive to me, compared with  other similar options such as amalgam tape.

emac65
    Free Member

Old innertube

geex
    Free Member

don’t say I’m not good to you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132631078830?chn=ps

That’s enough to do 10 chainstays.
    it’s pretty handy for other stuff too.

self amalgamating tape (as with any thin tape wrapped around the chainstays) doesn’t last repeated chain slap.

Marshguard sell 1m of 3M 2228 for £15
    https://marshguard.com/product/slapper-tape/

#CyclistTax

😉

ThePinkster

Cheers geex, that makes more sense if it does that much, explanation much appreciated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

2228 tape here as well. Worth noting that the adhesive doesn’t go all the way to the edges so I decided to trim it down a little to stop muck getting under and lifting it.

Must have done a decent job as a friend of mine with the same brand of frame said to me, “nice to see they’ve finally made a proper chainstay protector for those”, so it’s possible to get a really neat looking job if that’s important to you.

ThePinkster

Cheers for that, Definitely want a neat job.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What’s the current Chainstay Protector of choice these days?’ is closed to new replies.