Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where to buy 3M 2228 rubber mastic tape? (for preventing chain damage)
  • scant
    Free Member

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1551-rubber-mastic-tape-scotch-2228-50mm-x-303m-1-roll.aspx

apparently this stuff is ideal at preventing chain slap damage. does anyone know a non business person can actually buy this stuff please?

andyl
    Free Member

try viking tapes

edit: or just order from that website?

– ahh just saw the pop up. Get someone to order it for you?

greeble
    Free Member

failing that try this
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-19mm-x-10m/61749

wrapped around the chain stays on both the DH bike and Xc bike and have lasted for 18+ months

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Old inner tube? Cheap/free and works a treat.

andyl
    Free Member

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ix=aca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=scotch+2228#q=scotch+2228&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=SbyzT7-4C4bE8gPz2O0S&ved=0CIQBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d3cb4836b258fc0f&biw=1639&bih=800&ix=aca

Expensive! I’d just go with some self amalgamating tape or try and find a black version of the silicone self amalgamating. Or just get a velco neoprene one that looks better.

munkyboy
    Free Member

I bought frame wrap of a chap on eBay (noels eyebrows) don’t know if it is genuine frame wrap but it worked really well for me, although you can just use electrical tape for a less professional look

greeble
    Free Member

I bought frame wrap of a chap on eBay (noels eyebrows) don’t know if it is genuine frame wrap but it worked really well for me, although you can just use electrical tape for a less professional look

thats the same stuff as I linked you to on the screwfix site but a few £ cheaper.
    I bought simialr tape from B&Q and is no where near as good as the screwfix stuff

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was about to say I got soemthing similar from B&Q (in the electrical isle next to zip ties, tape and scotchblocks). The only fault with it is it’s not been resiliant to heel rub, but then again neither was my frame so £5 on tape each winter isn’t too bad.

greeble
    Free Member

hense what I said that screwfix is better. been using it 18months and its fine

scant
    Free Member

thanks guys 🙂

reading the blurb, does the self amalgamating type only adhere to itself? its a slightly weird shape surface, so not sure if I can just spiral wrap the tape, really needs to be applied in strips

greeble
    Free Member

it does only adhere to itself.
    What frame are you wrapping it to?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My heels make a right mess of frames though, they’ll mess up a new frame in 1 ride, and i’ve written bikes off wearing through the chaisntays! I was quite impressed by 6 months! I’ll give the other stuff a go next winter though and see how it fares.

steezysix
    Free Member

My heels make a right mess of frames though, they’ll mess up a new frame in 1 ride

You’re not wearing cowboy boots with spurs are you?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re not wearing cowboy boots with spurs are you?

haha, no, but my feet don’t point anywhere near foreward

greeble
    Free Member

haha, no, but my feet don’t point anywhere near foreward

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Even cheaper and better it the center tread/bead of a road tire

Mugboo

I buy it from Biketart but as a dedicated cheapskate i’ll be visiting Screwfix next time!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy 3M 2228 rubber mastic tape? (for preventing chain damage)’ is closed to new replies.