Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)
  • What's it all about, all this arguing on here? Serious question.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t you start Flashy; you’re as bad as anyone else. And you, Ernie. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is however quite fascinating that you usually side with Elf,

Have you seen his conspiracy stuff about Bush 9/11 😯

brakes
    Free Member

what you’re not listening to is that people leave this forum and get annoyed because of certain members who can’t self-regulate their inane and self-indulgent posting

It isn’t obligatory to inform everyone if you dislike a thread you know.

no, just the particularly rubbish ones
    you few think you’re in the majority because you’re the most vocal and apparent, but there are hundreds of forum members who get annoyed by it all but don’t post or stop posting because of the monopolising of threads by the few

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

FWIW… I’m really enjoying this thread. IMO it’s a pretty good thread.

That is all.

AdamW
    Free Member

TBH I only post a few things here and there. I like to help and give what info I can and pop in with the occasional (rarely!) witty comment, but know that if I were to post often then I would just be attacked. I’ve already been burned once so don’t really want to participate that much.

I doubt I am representative, but I read often yet post once a week (if that) because I know that if I post more I’ll get crushed by those who want to argue…. 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

what you’re not listening to is that people leave this forum and get annoyed because of certain members who can’t self-regulate their inane and self-indulgent posting

See, I can take that on board.

But seriously; take a step back for a moment. Read what you just posted. Have a think about it. Imagine how someone else might interpret it.

I have been trying this, and having some success, I think anyway.

Fred, you are a special person hence you get special treatment from us

That said you’ve recently become quite a model of good behaviour

😀

I must be doing something right. But fair point; it’s very difficult to imagine how your words might come across to others, without knowing them. I have tried to give more consideration to this, as this forum isn’t just for me, it’s for everyone.

Why do I care?

Well, because I think it’s worth making the effort. I know I’m not going to please everyone, and quite frankly I wouldn’t even try, as that would just be too frustrating and bloody impossible anyway. But I’d like STW to be as positive a resource for others, as it has been for me. And I know that I, as a forum member, have a responsibility towards others.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

See, I can take that on board.

No, you can’t. If you could then you wouldn’t have continued with the rest of that post. Or, in fact, continued to have posted much of your drivel with all that pathetic faux-spelling.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TBH I only post a few things here and there. I like to help and give what info I can and pop in with the occasional (rarely!) witty comment, but know that if I were to post often then I would just be attacked. I’ve already been burned once so don’t really want to participate that much.

I doubt I am representative, but I read often yet post once a week (if that) because I know that if I post more I’ll get crushed by those who want to argue….

I think this sums up why it’s important for people to respect one another. I know I’m one of the worst culprits, so things have to change, from me, at least.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Flashy; maybe you too could benefit from bit of introspection. You seem to have a fair bit of resentment in you. Not wanting to pick a fight, but that comment was designed to provoke, and you know it. Why not take a moment to ask yourself exactly why you wanted to provoke?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Oh the irony…..

You’re going to have to explain the “irony” to me Flashheart………..I am truly fascinated.

If there’s one thing which puts me off this place, then it’s the constant and endless whingeing about everything – grammar/poor english, trade unions, all other roads users, BBC weather forecasts, Piers Morgan, chavs, other people’s religious views, the X Factor, smokers, those on benefits, Tesco, fat people, MPs, celebrities, and so the list goes on ……endlessly.

brakes
    Free Member

Piers Morgan

really?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

brakes – Member

there are hundreds of forum members who get annoyed by it all but don’t post or stop posting because of the monopolising of threads by the few

Until a few minutes ago I hadn’t bothered posting on this thread despite noticing it when it first appeared, as I thought it was a pretty rubbishy thread ……where’s the problem ? I didn’t feel the need to inform everyone that I didn’t like the thread.

genghispod
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – I have previously called you a ****, for which I would now wish to apologise. I appreciate the ability to share opinions on this site, and I appreciate your ability to do so likewise.

Woody
    Free Member

Damn it, sucked back in and LOL @ ernie complaining about negative posters and then proceeding to do exactly that, post after post 😆

Flashy; maybe you too could benefit from bit of introspection. You seem to have a fair bit of resentment in you. Not wanting to pick a fight, but that comment was designed to provoke, and you know it.

Actually The Captain was spot on and do you really think that anyone believes that your response is innocent, when quite clearly it is designed to provoke another ‘nasty’ response so that you can run away with your lip quivering.

Grow up and stop pretending to be a cross between an 8 year old girl and Mother Teresa!

genghispod
    Free Member

To be honest people, this site and the variance of opinion expressed within, is possibly the most intellectually stimulating part of my daily existence. Not that that lacks variety!

It’s great and all ok knowing what you think, but I do have an interest in other people’s strongly held views. After all, in all humility I cannot be right all the time can I?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually The Captain was spot on

In your opinion. Not in mine. We are both entitled to our own opinions.

do you really think that anyone believes that your response is innocent, when quite clearly it is designed to provoke another ‘nasty’ response so that you can run away with your lip quivering.

And what exactly is the intention of your post?

You see? It’s all about perspective, isn’t it? I see your posts as designed to antagonise, whether you meant to or not. It’s my perception that you harbour resentment towards me, and in all honesty, from your responses, I really don’t think I’m wrong in having that view. Am I meant to feel any differently? is the ‘offence’ in your responses, or in my imagination?

yunki
    Free Member

I keep wanting to post a thought or two here.. but I’m a bit fearful of getting drawn into an argument..

I’ve had to seriously reign in my argumentative side since joining this forum.. there’s some flipping rude and arrogant and sometimes even just plain nasty people that post here and that sort of thing really brings out the worst in me..

I think it’s great though because the skills of tolerance and patience that I have to master to continue to enjoy the forum must surely carry through into the rest of my life..?

I like Elfins little crusade of public self discovery that he’s on too.. when I first joined the place seemed to be very firmly in the hands of a jeering sneering set.. I really really hope that Elfs dedication to becoming a better forum member himself will help let those who peddle unpleasantness realise that a lot of folk here don’t really have much time for it.. I really think it’s the nasty little comments that cause the most aggrevation and dischord and consequent deviance from topic for a slanging match…

Poor old Teej for example gets hounded and ridiculed for having a point of view and sticking to it by folk who aren’t the remotest bit interested in the debate he’s engaged in.. they just wanna have a pop at his method of debate.. to correct him..
    why..?

And people are now having a pop at whether Elfs own bleeding thread is valid..!?

why..?

EDIT: maybe Elfs post above partly answers the question when he speaks about perspective..

Woody
    Free Member

I expressed an opinion elf, take it how you want.

BTW if you conduct one of your much vaunted self-analysis, you will see that the point which Flashheart made was entirely correct.

[quote]See, I can take that on board.[/quote]

Which you immediately followed with….. blah………….memememememe…….blah blah.. ……….memememe……..blahblah…. ….memememe…………

Get the picture now ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Woody – Member

LOL @ ernie

Well that means a lot to me……….so it’s nice to have that pointed out – thanks 8)

…….even though it was caused by a completely imaginary perception.

khani
    Free Member

When your arguing with a fool
    Make sure he isn’t doing the same thing……..wise words maybe

Woody
    Free Member

Have you been drinking ernie ? I know I have 😉

yunki
    Free Member

people surely also leave the forum because they encounter rude and condescending negative responses to perfectly reasonable posts/threads.. I would imagine it’s this reason that causes most offence..?

donsimon
    Free Member

they just wanna have a pop at his method of debate.. to correct him..
    why..?

There is a good way and a bad way, but sometimes TJ needs to be corrected. 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woody; not really, no. I’ve been very open and as honest as possible, while you’ve actually failed to answer questions I’ve asked of you, instead choosing to attack attack attack. Which in a bizarre way, actually helps me to understand the situation within myself, all the more. So, thank you, however unwitting you may have been in this process.

I will instead choose to be nourished by comments such as Yunki’s above, which are themselves very constructive and ultimately positive, I think. I’m happy that some people at least have understood the point of this thread, and have made some very valuable contributions. I genuinely appreciate that. I think only good can come of this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No Woody, I haven’t been drinking.

Why do you ask…….is because you think I’m talking nonsense ?

Do you think I wouldn’t be talking nonsense if I was sober ?

If that’s the case, thank you ……….it’s nice to know you feel that level of confidence in what I say. Although you are almost certainly wrong to do so.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yunki +1
    I think most people , in the real world, are used to debating what they dont have to do is be insulted for their views. In the real world very few people are that rude and if they are you/almost everyone just ignores them. You cannot do this on a forum so it is perhaps a release from the social constraints of civility for some to just insult and continue doing so. I would assume people prefer not to be insulted than insulted and, as yunki says, this puts people off more than the fact that people hold a differeing opinion to them.

Woody
    Free Member

So, thank you, however unwitting you may have been in this process.

Was that a witty put down (or a diluted Fred re-sufacing), or am I too being infected with a healthy dose of paranoia?

cinnamon_girl

P*E*A*C*E

Life’s too short to argue, OK?

8)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I don’t come here for an argument. If someone post something which is way of what i think, i’m interested to find out how another reasonable person can be exposed to pretty much the same evidence as me and yet come to a completely different conclusion. Of course this means exploring why they think what they think. Sometimes but not often we reach the underlying principal or axiom where we diverge. Sometimes this can be addressed other times it explains why we disagree. Though there are occasions where someone will respond to this kind of enquiry in an unnecessarily rude manner, then i get drawn into trying to make them look stupid.

Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘What's it all about, all this arguing on here? Serious question.’ is closed to new replies.