Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)
  • What's it all about, all this arguing on here? Serious question.
  • dekadanse
    Free Member

Coming in at the end (bin away)…………..it’s debate innit, which ensures we keep sharp and keep thinking. Entirely non-antagonistic insofar as it’s not personal (dunno any of you, so how could it be?) but the battle of ideas does us good. Lots of us Brits are scared of full-on debate, but watch how plenty of Johnny Foreigners go at it hammer and tongs, and then end up embracing each other (or killing each other!) The great thing about a good bracing debate is that often a synthesis, a third idea, emerges out of the clash of 2 antagonistic points of view. That’s great……..and then we go off to lay/get laid. It’s all about passionately held beliefs and feelings really, and a world without passion is dull indeed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Emma82 what/where are you up to over the weekend?

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK dekadanse you’ll do if Emma is busy

emma82
    Free Member

Ohhh no, drunk posting 🙁 sorry but I do still kinda agree with myself! Mostly nursing a hangover this wknd cynical!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Me too. I deffo need to get laid more. Wanna cyber?

emma82
    Free Member

Umm no thanks, I think I’ll stick with real with the man next to me.ta for the offer though, very sweet of you. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

molgrips

must resist.. but the minutes and hours tick by… someone may have replied.. they might be misunderstanding the point.. just a quick check

emma82

Ohhh no, drunk posting sorry but I do still kinda agree with myself

[quote]I think I’ll stick with real with the man next to me[/quote]

………………..such is the lure of the STW ‘argument’. How many previous posters opened this almost as soon as they awoke. C’mon, own up 😉

emma82
    Free Member

Sad ain’t it, I have been awake since 5 though, booze doesn’t let me sleep much so am now bored stoopid

yunki
    Free Member

How many previous posters opened this almost as soon as they awoke. C’mon, own up

😳

Bimbler
    Free Member

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Symptoms (from Wikipedia)

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    * Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    * Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
    * Rarely acknowledges mistakes and/or imperfections
    * Requires excessive admiration
    * Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
    * Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    * Lacks empathy: is unwilling or unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
    * Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
    * Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitude.

Anyone fit the bill?

yunki
    Free Member

Anyone fit the bill?

me me me … I even have narcissist tattooed in old english script across my belly in the style of a puerto rican gang member!

druidh
    Free Member

reported

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How many previous posters opened this almost as soon as they awoke. C’mon, own up

Oh dear, I woke up 9 mins ago, maybe I should start leaving the laptop downstairs 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

Druidh you need to get l…

druidh
    Free Member

😆

The “reported” comment was about a spam post just before mine.

If you’d been up and logged on earlier, you’d have seen it 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

If the debating and discussion doesn’t resort to a personal level, which is still debatable in my opinion as you don’t know me, and doesn’t degenerate into name calling and insults, there isn’t or shouldn’t be a problem. That said, the insulting does tell you alot about the person posting.So,get a grip and grow some you Fidiots! 😆

Woody
    Free Member

If the debating and discussion doesn’t resort to a personal level, which is still debatable in my opinion as you don’t know me

True to an extent, but many, or even most of the replies on here have to be based solely on what the poster has written now or in the past, so you have a relatively narrow snapshot of what that individual is actually like. Eg. I have an image of a fedora’ed Don Simon sitting on his balcony, sipping a glass of orange freshly squeezed between the thighs of a local peasant girl, overlooking the yachts in a sun-kissed marina while the local fisherman go about their business in a dirty harbour just out of view. How far that is from the truth I have no idea but it’s probably one of the reasons that seeing a film after reading the book is almost always a disappointment 😉

More amusing is when previous disagreements are carried forward onto other threads, sometimes weeks and months later, usually ending with the protagonist proclaiming loudly that they are being victimised, ‘misunderstood’ and bleating they are innocent of all accusations.

Sound familiar?

scaredypants

Been away a few days

read 1st few on page 1 and last few – hasn’t turned into fun so I assume it’s the usual carping

I’m out

Karinofnine

I haven’t read it all. I love the forum, it’s a microcosm of the outside world. We are wonderful, nasty, beautiful, ugly, generous, mean, understanding, judgmental etc… in fact, human. Yeah, there are some keyboard warriors on here but so what, that’s life, same as phone warriors, car warriors and bus warriors (who never want to fight man-to-woman, why IS that?)

Dissent is healthy. Long live dissent!

donsimon
    Free Member

True to an extent, but many, or even most of the replies on here have to be based solely on what the poster has written now or in the past,

Isn’t that the point though, you build a forum persona and have to live or die by that persona, no matter whether it is like the real person or not. But you should still be able to recognise the difference your internet persona and real persona and the origin of the comments, shouldn’t you? And therefore not take the comments as personal or a personal attack.

Eg. I have an image of a fedora’ed Don Simon sitting on his balcony, sipping a glass of orange freshly squeezed between the thighs of a local peasant girl, overlooking the yachts in a sun-kissed marina while the local fisherman go about their business in a dirty harbour just out of view. How far that is from the truth I have no idea

That’s a fair description to be honest.

More amusing is when previous disagreements are carried forward onto other threads, sometimes weeks and months later, usually ending with the protagonist proclaiming loudly that they are being victimised, ‘misunderstood’ and bleating they are innocent of all accusations.

Sound familiar?

I know for some this is the case for me though, my memory isn’t good enough for that type of thing… 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve been copying and pasting Elfin’s posts and replicating the word for sometime now… just check out SafetyPin on Mumsnet.

Have you really? You best not have done, you know. Show me?

Oh, DO stop talking bollocks, dear boy…

See, when all people do is post this kind of insulting comment, I just see it as their inability to actually enter into a real intelligent discussion about anything, yet still feel compelled to make their presence felt. It’s one thing to disagree with someone, but at least explain why. This sort of unqualified comment leads to things kicking off. I mean, it’s very rude and disrespectful.

The respect thing is very important, I think. You may not like someone’s point of view, but you should still try to respect them as a person. Difficult, sometimes, especially if they seem more intent on out-clevering people than being objective.

Have to say, even on this thread, there are attempts by certain individuals to make themselves appear superior; assumptions made about the character and psyche of others, yet little introspection. I spose it’s very difficult to look in the mirror and see the truth staring back.

It’s all very interesting, this….

Woody
    Free Member

And therefore not take the comments as personal or a personal attack.

Agreed – never do

That’s a fair description to be honest.

😆 😉

Elfin wrote

Have to say, even on this thread, there are attempts by certain individuals to make themselves appear superior;

assuming your post is not tongue in cheek I’m really RAOFLMAO

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woody, why?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I assume he’s alluding to your tone Fred, which intentionally or not does often comes across as know-it-all/holier-than-thou etc.

Woody
    Free Member

Thankyou Al

To make it clear, I may as well skip a couple of posts and copy and paste what I said previously

ending with the protagonist proclaiming loudly that they are being victimised, ‘misunderstood’ and bleating they are innocent of all accusations.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok fair enough.

I do try to back myself up with facts, because getting things wrong does tend to make you look a bit silly. I always try to present what I believe is a valid and justifiable point of view. There have been many times when someone has been patently wrong, and I and others have proven this. I accept that this ‘point-scoring’ doesn’t make for good relations though.

Oh, and I’m not, in any way, claiming to be perfect here. I have been open about myself, yet I feel some people are commenting on others, without first looking at themselves. It’s also very interesting that one or two particularly vociferous individuals are conspicuous by there absence on this thread, or have simply made puerile, dismissive comments without contributing anything of real value.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But equally, Al and Woody, you both come across like that to me, in fact you’re doing so right now. 😀

I spose it’s all about perspective. No-one can really see things through another’s eyes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Odd as I read what you say as condescending , based on previous threads and unlikely to make the recipient feel anything other than insulted – you cant really have a go at someone and them moan at them for being a “victim” – whether you are right or wrong or have a point is not really the issue here. A lot of people would bite IMHO which is probably what you want?- 😯 I am doing it now as well 🙄
    Skiled arguing and reasonable points but not hard to see how someone would take umbridge at what you/ I say. Elfin is wise enough to make light of this but we have at last reached the “game” is it inevitable?

Woody
    Free Member

It’s a long way down from that pedestal you’ve built for yourself these days Elf.

That is not in any way to be perceived as bullying BTW – merely an observation of your current self-appointed status.

Apologies if that is not ‘contributing’ in your eyes but not every post has to be deep and meaningful otherwise this would be a very dull place. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

we have at last reached the “game” is it inevitable?

It could be argued that the naughty elf has been pushing for it since the first post and it has taken a long time to even get a nibble !

Junkyard
    Free Member

woody read Freud and displacement?

I am off as I believe this was serious attempt to discuss why we argue rather than have one.
    Woody seems intent on the later whilst blaming others for this.
    Interesting

timdrayton
    Free Member

elfin

completely unrelated to this thread, but i keep trying to reply to your email from weeks ago but my pc dies hangs every time, very odd but sorry i probly seemed rude by not getting back to you!

but anyway i am thinking of floggin that cannondale either frame forks and a few bits or full bike, let me know if you fancy a crimbo cannondale!

timdrayton@live.co.uk

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tim; yeah, could be interest…. 😀

It’s a long way down from that pedestal you’ve built for yourself these days Elf.

That is not in any way to be perceived as bullying BTW – merely an observation of your current self-appointed status.

I wasn’t aware that I was on any sort of pedestal. I certainly din’t build one myself. Sure, I admit I work on my ‘persona’, but that’s just for a laugh more than a front to hide any insecurity. I make no pretence that I’m insecure and in need of near-constant reassurance. 🙂

I am interested in your observations, though. In my recent attempts to address my ‘behaviour’, I discovered it was essential to take a step back and try to be more objective, which is hopefully what I’m doing here. I know I’m not the only one, so I thought it might be something others could consider too, in order to hopefully get along a bit better.

Recently, someone ranted that they wished SimonFBarnes’ family all got cancer and died, because Simon had expressed a conflicting point of view on a topic than they had. I was really quite shocked that someone could react so angrily, and with so much hate, toward someone who merely expressed a different opinion. The other day, someone made veiled threats of violence towards my self. In the past, I’ve had really nasty emails sent to me, which is why I don’t include an email addy in my profile.

No, I want to be able to use the forum as a positive resource. If, thorough my own actions, I make the experience less positive for others, then perhaps I need to address my own behaviour.

Woody; I find it interesting that you seem to be quite critical of me, yet haven’t expressed why you feel compelled to comment as strongly as you are doing. I would be interested to find out if you, and indeed others, harbour resentment towards myself or others on here.

Cos I’m like, picking up some negative vibes, maaan….

Woody
    Free Member

No, haven’t read Freud and displacement but I do understand the principal. It is however quite fascinating that you usually side with Elf, and despite the fact that your initial response to mine was critical of him, you are willing to accuse me of wanting an argument 🙄

I am off as I believe this was serious attempt to discuss why we argue rather than have one

I never did I’m afraid but on the off chance that it is, I shall bow out too.

BTW Junkyard, just so you know, my original post was not aimed at ‘others’ (or you) and the person who I thought would pick up on it, did.

timdrayton
    Free Member

ok then mate send us a mail or give us a call on 07846 690368

brakes
    Free Member

maybe the usual suspects should have their own forum for all this self-indulgence and gluttonous soul-searching
    nothing good will come of this thread

tazzymtb

nothing good seems to come from many of the threads anymore unless it folks being helpful about technical bike questions. It doesn’t matter what the topic is or how chilled out it starts it’s usually a bun fight and egofest within a page. There do seem to be some righteous warriors who will covert everyone to their way of thinking or die trying.

It’s doing my brain no good and it’s just not fun anymore.

😥

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nonsense. Several people have responded to the contrary. Your input has been nothing but negative anyway, and I can’t recall you making any positive contributions anywhere else. I’m actually trying to look for ways where folk can help make the forum a nicer place, yet all you can do is show resentment.

I think certain people are envious of the attention others get on here, and post spiteful negative comments, just to gain a reaction. To me, that’s worse than arguing.

The point of this thread was for people to examine their own contribution, and see if they could possibly moderate their own behaviour for the greater good.

FWIW; this forum is a much better place than when I joined a few years ago, when all sorts of casual prejudice and narrow-mindedness was commonplace. I think that’s the result of all sorts of individuals challenging bigotry and selfishness. And also maybe some people being forced to look at their own behaviour.

I’ve responded to previous criticism, and have tried to change my approach to this forum. I have no problem in admitting I’m flawed.

It’s up to others to decide if they could do similar. If people make an effort, things can be a bit better.

Or, you can just sit and criticise and be negative. But don’t blame others because you’re not having such a good time…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

brakes – Member

tazzymtb – Member

It’s doing my brain no good and it’s just not fun anymore.

Well how about if some people stop posting pointless negative stuff which contributes nothing ?

It isn’t obligatory to inform everyone if you dislike a thread you know.

Some people appear unable to resist complaining about anything and everything.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some people appear unable to resist complaining about anything and everything.

Oh the irony…..

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘What's it all about, all this arguing on here? Serious question.’ is closed to new replies.