Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What’s happened to this Stans
  • Tracey

New Stans Race sealant put in clean tyres six weeks ago from new bottle. No punchers or loss of air. Checked front and back today. Can’t smell any ammonia. It has no texture to it and looks like dirty water.
    Never had it do this before. Both tyres have the same

Poopscoop

I had exactly this in the past tracey.

I made a thread on it where lots of suggestions came up but never got to the bottom of it. In the end I went cafe latex and I’ve never had it since.

It happened on maxxis hr2 and minion dhf when I had it.

The thread is probably a year or 2 old.

As well as the “tea” coloured fluid I had the actual sealant just go into a rubber pool at the bottom of the tyre. The stans basically separated.

I have similar nail varnish but that’s not relevant.

mandog

Socks and sandals is a no no according to my misses but I’m not sure if this extends to sliders as well.

Tracey

Nothing has solidified in the tyres. 🤔

Ive put the same stuff from the same bottle back in. Will keep an eye on it.
    Wondering if we have a rogue bottle

Abigale says socks and sliders are an enduro thing. 😎

nuke

Were they new tyres? Can see that the sealant is lining the inside but I’d still expect to see the alien sealant blob.

Tracey

New tyres. Only thing I can think is the heat in North Star.

bsims
    Free Member

I relpaced an acient ground control on my general bike this week. It has been sweating a lot over the last year and a huge amount recently. the remnants of Stans in the tyre were a brown colour but didn’t look as runny as in your picture. Could it be that the ‘sealing’ parts are on/in the tyre leaving the ‘carrier’ part which has oxidised?

Tracey

Tyres are Blck Dmnd. She only uses them and the tyre is that thick it can’t weep.
    At the same time I have taken some Grid tyres of some carbon rims to sell them and the Stans is the usual brown liquid I would expect and that’s been in 18 months.

Poopscoop

What’s a mystery is where the actual sealant had gone in your tyres Tracey? Looks like my memory was wrong and the sealant in my tyres separated into the tea coloured liquid you have but I still had a rubberised deposit of the sealant too…. That was a complete pig to remove from the tyre.

Tracey

No idea but there are no blobs or any thing. That’s the bit I don’t understand.
    I’m just glad that she didn’t get any holes in them during the races.
    They are a very tough tyre though

bsims
    Free Member

Could it have been absorbed into the inside layer of the tyre?

chrisyork

We’ve not had this by my gf’s has had some of the sealant turn into balls…. like when you spin the wheel it sounds like ball bearings in a tyre ha!

Anyone else had this?

Poopscoop

Yep, that’s pretty common chris.

Tracey

We have had the small balls in other tyres with Stans in
    Don’t think it could absorb the 150ml we put in

Poopscoop

I’d anything I thin the tyre would sweat out the watery stuff and leave the thinner sealant.

I contacted stans but never heard back from them unfortunately. I’d either had this happen again previous or after that original thread and without ever getting to the bottom of this it resulted in me changing brand in the end.

Onzadog
    Free Member

New tyres? Could it be a reaction with the mould release agent that might still be on the inside of the tyres? I normal wipe new tyres down with IPA before setting up tubeless.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

I thought the race sealant didn’t last long at all? Have you considered their normal sealant?

hols2
    Free Member

I had something similar about 15 years ago using Slime. That was back when ghetto tubeless was new and I hadn’t heard about the art latex thing (which is what I use now) so I used Holt’s Tyreweld to get the tyre inflated the first time and Slime for long-term protection. I was converting regular tyres, probably IRC Mythos or similar, which had very porous sidewalls. The fibrous part of the Slime blocked up the pores in the sidewalls, but left a watery fluid in the tyre.

LAT

Has the bike been on a plane? Would it have been extremely cold in the hold? I’ve seen similar happen in my fat bike tyres over winter.

Tracey

Bike has been all over in a plane. Not had the problem before. Its always looked and performed the way we would have expected it to.
    I think its either a dodgy bottle of Stans Race or the aliens have been messing with it in California 🤔

Northwind

I’ve had that happen too, literally no idea why, I hadn’t changed anything that I can think of.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

its ****, mate.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What’s happened to this Stans’ is closed to new replies.