Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Stans sealant turning to congealed rubber, Stans poor customer service.
  • Poopscoop

This is happened again.

Rubber puddle in tyre and a lot of oily fluid from where the sealant has separated.

Not impressed and Stans haven’t even sent me an automated email to my enquiries via email,FB and twitter.

Going to give up on stans now. Just ordered Caffelatex sealant which is also cheaper.

legend
    Free Member

I’d be looking more at the tyre than the sealant. Stans isn’t oily, and it doesn’t dry out like that either ime

oikeith

Did you use hot soapy water when seating the tyre? maybe its cross contamination?

JoB
    Free Member

that’s happened to me loads, i put it down to user error, the bike standing still long enough for a puddle to form at the bottom of the tyre and then go solid over time as air leaked in somehow

i tried Caffelatex and went back to Stans

z1ppy

How long was it in the tyre? As I’ve never seen that before, and been using the stuff for years. Just got a new bottle, so wondered how long your took to ‘change’, and will check mine after that about of time…

Poopscoop

All done by the book on all tyres, same result.

No CO2 used.

Minimal soap on rims.

Bottle shaken well before use.

Bike stored indoors at normal temps.

Happens to tyres after only a few weeks. But not left standing for more that 5 days.

Happens on different brand tyres both new and used.

shermer75
    Free Member

That is weird. All from the same bottle?

Poopscoop

2 bottles used now.

shermer75
    Free Member

>and then go solid over time as air leaked in somehow

What do you think you are using to pump the tyre up with? Lol 😉

The latex normally goes solid due to the sheering forces as the air escapes through a puncture (or the valve, obvs 😉 ) and not due to contact with the air, which it does all the time anyway

shermer75
    Free Member

>2 bottles used now

Annoying!

I have seen that before, but only after the bike had been sitting around for a looooong time. Good luck with getting a reply from Stan’s! 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stan’s is water based, odd. I’d tend to agree with Legend.

My Bronson hasn’t turned a wheel in 3 months, I’ll have a look at the sealant at the weekend.

DezB
    Free Member

Go for Juice Lubes stuff.

I removed a tyre and left it sat in my garage with a pool of JL Sealant in it. Few weeks later I picked up the tyre and the sealant was still liquid. Good stuff. Smells nicer than Stan’s too.

rickmeister

The little blobby lumps or Stanimals, big dried out sections or Stanitary pads….

Putting more than recommended in to coat the tyre wall?

Poopscoop

Pic shows it mate. Just a rubbery pool at bottom of tyre.

Putting in recommended amount for a 29er.

All done by the book.

scruff
    Free Member

When’s the new finish line stuff available?

bigjim

Never had anything remotely like that in what can’t be far off ten years using stan’s sealant. No way the oil can be coming from the sealant unless you’ve bought fake sealant.

Shackleton

This used to happen to me (separation was made worse by cold weather), but I suspect that it all mixed up again after a few revolutions. Bottles of stans separate if you leave them to sit in the cold for a while (but not into an oily layer).

Did you clean the tyres and bead thoroughly inside with isopropyl alcohol to remove the (oily) moulding compound before mounting and adding stans? Once I started doing this I never had the same issue. Although it never stopped my tyres sealing during mounting it did improve the ability of the sealant to stick to the inside of the tyre and prevent punctures being a problem.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

What tyres?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m another one who hasn’t had an issue, I changed the tyres and refreshed the Stans on my FS last night. There was still liquid Stans in there and that bike hasn’t turned a wheel since August bank holiday last year.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Brave working on the living room carpet!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve had the oily pool before, always on the same tyres and it eventually stopped. Same sealant in other tyres no trouble at all.

I’d go so far as to say it was the sealant reacting with the tyre, either something in the rubber compound or what ever they used to release the tyre from the mould, eventually it all reacted up and voila.

rOcKeTdOg

that’s why we use orangeseal at work

oikeith

could the soap your using be causing the stans to separate?

I follow the same process, but dont use soapy water and havent had this happen to me with several years of use and storing bikes the same way as you.

bigjim

It just doesn’t make sense to me, there’s just not that much solid material in stans and no oil, it’s mostly water, a small amount of little white flecks of rubber, and some finer particles which dry a bit like dust. The only solid I’ve ever had is a the little white rubber ball gremlin thing about grape size, the rest is basically milky water. When it totally dries out on me when I’ve been too lazy to top up there’s just the white flecks stuck to a thin layer of latex, or all in a little ball, and a little pool of white dust.

retro83
    Free Member

That’s really weird,  my bike has sat in my shed for months (which has been both ludicrously hot and fairly cold), but I checked it the other day and it’s not separated at all.  Wonder if there’s a bad batch, or they’ve changed the recipe?  My bottles are all from a few years back.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cut this out of a bottle of Stans a while back…

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve had similarly curdled Stans but never spotted it before it was well old ao I’d never paid it any attention.

I’ve not seen it since I stopped using Schwalbe tyres so wondered if that might have been a factor.

legend
    Free Member

Cut this out of a bottle of Stans a while back…

Brie?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Looks more like tofu to me

vincienup
    Free Member

😀

vincienup
    Free Member

On a slightly more serious thought, on the source of the possible oil, silicone mould release from the inside of the tyre?  Maybe some manufacturers leave more residue than others?

zilog6128

Why are you not going through the retailer?

fossy

Pssst.. anyone mentioned inner tubes.. heh heh

therealthing
    Free Member

nice carpets

Poopscoop

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>therealthing
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

nice carpets

</div>

Its the “hobby room” full of bike stuff and all manner of other hobbies.

Its a place where carpets go to die…

Back on topic, this has happened in 2 Maxxis, and a Conti. All cleaned with an alcohol cleaner first.

What pee’d me off is that Stans don’t even answer their emails etc. I thought that was a British company disease. Even if there had been an auto reply or something it would have been better….

cookeaa

On a slightly more serious thought, on the source of the possible oil, silicone mould release from the inside of the tyre?  Maybe some manufacturers leave more residue than others?

This was my first thought…

Edited: were they all TCS/UST/TR/2bliss or not?

molgrips
    Free Member

Been using Stan’s for a decade, with all sorts of tyres.  I’ve had permanently leaky tyres, and I’ve never seen that.  I’ve had some tyres that have been on one bike I rarely use and I’ve kept on adding Stan’s as it dries out three or four times.  Never seen anything oily, it just turns to little snotty bits of fairly hard rubber.  Never had it dry out in the bottle either.

inkster
    Free Member

Do you have underfloor heating?

I had this happen to me and put it down to the bike being left for a long time where the floor was very warm.

Poopscoop

No under floor heating.

To clarify about the “oil” ,I really mean it’s oily looking but when I touch it, its just dirty water.

Tyres are tubeless ready as someone asked.

Cheezpleez

Is your house built on the site of a plague pit? I seem to remember something similar happening in an episode of Scooby-Doo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Stans sealant turning to congealed rubber, Stans poor customer service.’ is closed to new replies.