Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What would you do? – Illegal car based activities
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Bit of a weird one this…

I know someone who owns a car. They’ve not changed the registered keepers address for 2 house moves, their MOT is out of date by 6 months, and so is their insurance.

Feel like I should do someting, but saying “You need to get it sorted” has fallen on deaf ears.

Suggestions please.

Stoner
    Free Member

nick the keys and the spares and throw them away?

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s clearly not a lapse in admin. He clearly dose not take the responsibility of driving seriously. No insurance e.t.c increase the probability of hit and run in the event of an accident e.t.c

How close a friend is he? How much influence do you have? Dose he have a partner / family?

ivantate
    Free Member

Go joy riding in it? they must get pulled soon, plenty of anpr out there now.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Apply to be the registered keep of it yourself from the DVLA and wind them up that the car is now yours (after you’ve stole the keys) 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

No question if they don’t have insurance grass them in. If it’s a close mate then think along the lines of your doing them a favour.

anjs
    Free Member

Shop him and get the police to crush the car.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Shop him….think of the kids… and the baby robins!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shop him – driving with no insurance is not acceptable – he has not updated the registered keeper so as to attempt to avoid being caught for no insurance

cupra
    Free Member

Shop him – no excuse for that situation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How has (s)he managed to avoid ANPR for six months?

dooosuk
    Free Member

They’ll get caught when the tax expires as he’ll need the other docs to buy tax. If they don’t SORN, they’ll get caught and by the sounds of it they won’t SORN as all the reminders will go elsewhere.

abennell
    Free Member

Just contact the police, anpr should spot it if they go driving in it anyway, you wouldn’t like it if there was an accident.

spacemonkey

Mate or not a mate?

If the latter, then give the plod a ring.

z1ppy

shop him – driving with no insurance is not acceptable

+1 regardless of what type of “mate” he is..

joolsburger
    Free Member

Set it alight. A nice fire is always lovely.

hels
    Free Member

Get some new friends ??

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers all, he’s a pretty good mate/work colleague.

Whenever I try to bring it up, I get told it’s none of my business.

ocrider

Well, he certainly values your friendship
    Turn a blind eye from now on and when he does eventually get nicked, you can always say “I told you so…” in a seriously patronising manner. 🙄

highclimber
    Free Member

crimestoppers

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Whenever I try to bring it up, I get told it’s none of my business.

Remind him, preferably one to one with no witnesses, that it IS your business if his un-MOT’d vehicle is not road worthy and as a result injures or kills one of your loved ones.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you’ve got no tax,insurance or mot and run over a pedestrain/cyclist, the incentive is to flee the scene so you don’t get caught rather than help. This is exactly what happened to a friend a few weeks ago. Car drove off leaving them lying in the road. It was only some passers by that came to help. It was all reported to the police who confirmed the lack of tax/insurance.

Sandwich

It is your business. Shop him as it’s costing you £30 a year in premium to cover his risk.

philconsequence
    Free Member

scrape his face off with a hammer drill then beat him to death with your penis, its what a real man would do

nickhart
    Free Member

shop him.
    as he’s not insured any accident he has be it into another vehicle or into a person won’t be covered by him but by the rest of us and higher premiums. if he doesn’t care then he should.
    it is your business you’ve tried to do the friendly thing and unless you’re happy to stump up the cost of doing it for him there aint owt else you can do.
    if it’s parked in the company car park so long as it’s on public display the coppers can wander on doing a ‘spot’ check. if they’ve had a tip off it’d be hard to tell.

billysugger
    Free Member

scrape his face off with a hammer drill then beat him to death with your penis, its what a real man would do

Then shop him after you’ve set fire to his car.

Think I covered it there.

jon1973
    Free Member

if it’s parked in the company car park so long as it’s on public display the coppers can wander on doing a ‘spot’ check. if they’ve had a tip off it’d be hard to tell.

Security in the place I used to work would inform the DVLA if discs were out of date in the company car park.

bullheart
    Free Member

PM me his number plate and where you work. I’ll shop him. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a DVLA website where you can report untaxed cars without giving your name IIRC….

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

surely

Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    dangriff
    Free Member

If you don’t shop him, you’re as big a dickhead as he is.

bruneep

Why is it ok to set fire to it?

Criminal offence, wilful fire raising..you’d get cell next to each other.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Dangriff says really! There is only 1 reason why someone would leave “previous keeper only” details adn that is they are up to something dodgy, add in the no MOT and they clearly are up to something very dodgy. As already mentioned this is shooting your (and our)insurance premiums up, un insured drivers get away with murder, and the Motor Insurance Bureau stump up (hence our higher policies). No MOT .. mmm dodgy AGAIN!

What police force are you? Either crime stoppers or ring the local police and tell them you want to remain anonymous, again there will be a roads policing intelligence department who will receive this information then one day catch up out (hopefully).

If he knocks someone down as his car is fecked becuase he hasn’t had an MOT..how would you feel then?

Stop wasting your time on STW and report it.

Ps you’d be quick to get on STW and moan and bit** if you got hit by an uninsured driver with no MOT, so this is no different.

pitduck
    Free Member

it’s none of your business.

allthepies
    Free Member

So did this mate blab all this out as some kind of boast ? If it were me in his shoes I’d be keeping stumn, not broadcasting to info to all and sundry. Is he a loaf short of a picnic or something ?

higgo
    Free Member

You have to tell him you don’t want to be his friend no more.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I don’t know how people get away without insurance.

One of my landys was off the road for a bit as I was working on it. I put it back on the road one sunday, got insurance that day etc. I got 20 miles before a passing police car scanned my numberplate and picked up that I had no insurance (their system hadn’t updated that day)

How people get away with it long-term is beyond me.

Oh, and shop them, no question.

allthepies
    Free Member

How people get away with it long-term is beyond me.

Fake (cloned) plates ?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bring it up one more time, when he says it’s none of your business, ask him if he saw the ad on telly last night offering £1000 for info on un-MOT’ed and uninsured drivers (and it’s a grand for each offence apparently, and the same again for out of date owner’s info). Tell him you’ve got a holiday planned and you’re a bit skint. Take your phone out and walk away looking at it in a “Should i, shouldn’t I” sort of way

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What would you do? – Illegal car based activities’ is closed to new replies.