Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • What Short Travel FS Bike and Why?
  • Oblongbob

Finally got out on my Izzo uncaged for a proper ride at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Felt fast and taught but supple and really efficient on the climbs. Lockout was really useful for road sections and smooth climbs. Descending was really confident though a little less relaxing on the steeps than on my S150. Think it’s spot on for 90% of the trails near me. I put a dhf on the front in place of the rekon race it came with, as the trails were mostly muddy open Scottish hillside which added a bit of weight and drag but the bike still felt fast. Rekon worked remarkably well on the rear. Will swap the dhf out when things get a bit drier or I’m riding on less sloppy trails – maybe pop a forekaster on. Anyway, I can recommend considering the Izzo.

Daffy

Thanks everyone.  You all pretty much confirmed what my head was saying over my heart/brand bias.

I now have my first Transition.  Pics to follow once I’ve got it built to a happy spec.

chakaping
    Free Member

the Ripley (2022) is £2.5k at Merlin which would clear me out and I imagine I’d have to pay some kind of CycleScheme charge, based on Google.

Is it a better bike than the Vitus Rapide FS CRS?

One’s an XC race bike and the other’s a heavy-ish, fun trail bike.

Which of those suits your riding best? That’ll be the better bike for you.

solamanda
    Free Member

I was looking for a similar bike last year and was set on the Spur, but the price/value seemed very poor for a complete build. I ended up with a Stumpjumper (xc) build with nice components (Fox 34 Grip 2, full XT, DT240/crest wheels, One up 240mm dropper) for the same price and in the real world my larger (S5) build is 27lbs and has the huge advantage of the swat box.  To me, it feels as spritely as a friends Spur.

superfli
    Free Member

Absolutely love riding my Spur! So glad I built it when I did. Really tough to get hold of them. I kept a tally of the costs, which I will share.

piccy first:

Spur

I built it nice and light as I wanted this for epic all day rides and big distances. But I just cant help riding it on the local steeps! I just stick a different front wheel on with Assegai and it performs brilliantly. Not great on the fast, repeated hits though.

It weighs 25.7lb

Race Face sixc carbon bars £60
    Kore stem spares
    Dtswiss 240exp rear hub £275 bike discount
    Sapim dlight spokes spokes from Ryan £30
    Sapim dlight spokes from Ryan £30
    Dtswiss xr391 rims 32 Round things rolling £85
    Dtswiss xr391 28 bikester. £75
    Truvativ descendant carbon dub crank £134 pinkbike
    Xt shifter high on bikes £56
    Xt rear mech £70
    Xt cassette Merlin £150
    SID Forks £675 pinkbike
    KS Lev carbon Dropper post £160 pinkbike.
    Formula cura brakes ebay £225
    Dtswiss Front hub R2 bike £115
    BB £20 Ben D
    Saddle £48.50 Ben D
    Slx 12 Chain Westbrook cycles £30
    Chainring unite components £40
    Frame £1780
    Headset hope £70

Built over 1st lockdown when it was tough to get parts

bossworld
    Free Member

Chakaping – something as lightweight as possible that’ll still be usable for the odd 20 mile round commute (seeing as it’s C2W) but could take light trails. That’s why the XC element appealed.

I’m not fearless and I don’t have many spare weekends so the odds of me becoming a full trail rider at the minute are limited.

I wanted FS as I’ve got a gravel bike for roads and canal paths, and it seems my era of weight penalty bouncy FS bikes that made climbing a chore, died off along with 26″ wheels. So I don’t feel bound to a HT as i would have done in the past.

I’ve not bought myself an MTB in 11 years so this thread has been really useful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like the Vitus would be great for you then.

bossworld
    Free Member

Aye, I just don’t know why there doesn’t seem to be anything comparable at that price point. Just have to wait until they take CycleScheme vouchers again I guess

Onzadog
    Free Member

Now the choice has been made and this has become a Transition Spur thread, what sizes at what heights and ape index, on what terrain are people riding them?

I feel very “between sizes” about the Spur and there doesn’t look to be a demo your any time soon.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

I am 5ft 9 with short legs and a longer body have a large Spur.

I took it out this morning after riding my winter hack for 2 months (on one whippet) and was reminded just how fun and capable it is.

mboy
    Free Member

Define “short”… Also, what purpose…?

If for racing XC, then a Vitus/Carbonda and a light build…

For proper trail riding, money no object…? Then either the Spur, or the latest Evil Following I guess.

A mix of both… Well bugger me if Cube haven’t just knocked it out of the park with their latest Stereo One22!!!

Daffy

I’m 5’11 and also with a large Spur and it’s the smallest feeling large bike I’ve ever owned,

bigrich

I’ve got a spark 910, and its a lot of fun. fast along, up and down.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Tallboy at 120mm. Absolutely brilliant for owt.

weeksy

Obviously feeling a bit biased, but i was really surprised how the lads Privateer 141 rode… With the slack head angle it felt far ‘more’ than the 141 of travel… I’m not sure if it counts as ‘short’ with that travel as i think it’s 150 on then front end. But it was really nice.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ogvYNE]2023-02-12_07-49-13[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

butterbean
    Free Member

I mean, there has been some stretch to some peoples suggestions on here, but a mid travel bike that weighs as much as most enduro bikes, probably isn’t the one for the short travel crowd 😂

weeksy

I mean, there has been some stretch to some peoples suggestions on here, but a mid travel bike that weighs as much as most enduro bikes, probably isn’t the one for the short travel crowd

I guess it depends on what you class as short travel and long travel to an extent. It also depends on what it’s being used for. I’d class my previous Trek Fuel EX9.8 as short travel too… but that was also 140mm out of the box. So mid-travel to some i guess but it was also on the more XC based geometry as well…

stevedoc
    Free Member

Tallboy .. climbs like a hardtail and comes down like a much bigger bike . Id be more than hapy taking mine to the Alps .. fantastic bike

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.