Home Forums Chat Forum What PVR to replace Sky+ HD box

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What PVR to replace Sky+ HD box
  • peteimpreza

Going to ditch Sky soon but want to line up a replacement PVR before the deed is done.

Priorities are a good EPG and slick pause/live TV function.

Recording will be used but we will try to transition to catch up services.

So Freesat or Freeview?

Which box?

zilog6128

Have you spoken to Sky re. quitting yet? Following advice on another thread, I quit for a month, then the good offers came in, managed to chat to them & negotiate an even better one. Ended up paying just over £6 per month for TV package with box sets which I was happy with!

Main motivator was that I’d considered ditching them but had come to the conclusion that all other PVR boxes would seem crap by comparison! Sky do let you use “their” box with full pause/rewind at a cost of £10/month, slightly piss-takey though.

Drac

I use my TVs in built one, serves its purpose well. I’ve plugged in an external hard drive for recording but don’t really use it.

peteimpreza

I don’t want to give Sky anymore of my cash.

somouk
    Free Member

I used Freesat as the signal was generally better i felt for the HD stuff.

I had a Humax box and they seem to be the default people recommend. Just keep your warranty card and make sure you register it for the extra warranty as their hard disks are known to fail.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Have you spoken to Sky re. quitting yet?
    Main motivator was that I’d considered ditching them but had come to the conclusion that all other PVR boxes would seem crap by comparison! Sky do let you use “their” box with full pause/rewind at a cost of £10/month, slightly piss-takey though.

I came to Sky having had an original TiVo and then Humax DTT and then Satellite boxes. Sky remains better than the Humax box (though their latest Freesat box https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1100s/ is meant to be good, though even that’s about 5 years old now I think).

When I cancelled Sky offered me a deal on Broadband and to keep my sky+ functionality for free. (then they offered a deal on a TV package and I took that).

timmys

For Freeview it seems to be generally acknowledged that PVR’s peaked at the Humax HDR-FOX T2 and it’s been down hill since then, eg.;
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-humax-freeview-pvr-recommendation.2135775/

I have one and have found it great, especially with the custom firmware which allows you to do funky stuff such as remote scheduling of recording.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The newest Humax https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/fvp-5000t/ looks pretty wizzy – includes remote recording

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What PVR to replace Sky+ HD box’ is closed to new replies.