Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • What killed off the hat?
  • globalti
    Free Member

People were noticeably more skinny until the nineties, look at any old newsreel from the 70s or 80s and you’ll see that on the whole people were still thin; I guess they spent more time outdoors walking. Now they say that 40% of adults are obese, largely through lack of exercise. You don’t need a hat when you spend most of the day slumped in front of the TV.

teasel
    Free Member

Teasel are you Phil Harding?? !

In a Tyler Durdenesque kind of way I suppose it’s entirely feasible…

kcal

fleece hat for “just going outside” – walk, or garden, wood splitting.

Proper rain, or summer, Ozhatz or similar leather broad brimmed hat – keeps sun off my face, off my balding pate (when it’s sunny) and rain off same if it’s tipping down (having had a bit more than a suspicious couple of moles, have to be cautious).

Oh, and the broad brimmed hat is /ideal/ for holding a form to a midgie net and still be able to function in Scotland in summer !

globalti
    Free Member

Hat joke:

Last week Prince Charles came to open a new Chamber of Commerce in Bury, Lancashire. He turned up wearing a Davy Crockett hat but nobody mentioned it.

After Charlie had cut the ribbon and done his speech, the chairman of the Chamber stood up to thank him for coming and all that, then added: “One more thing Sir; may I just ask, why are you wearing a Davy Crockett hat?”

(Prince Charles voice here:) “Well,” replied Charlie, “Last night I telephoned my father the Duke. He asked me where I was going today and I told him Bury, in Lancashire. Now I admit I am a little hard of hearing but I’ll swear he replied: “Wear the fox hat!””

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Although technically a raccoon is not vulpine but…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Hats aren’t dead, that’s a myth. They just changed a bit.

Personally, I’m a confirmed beanie hoarder. They work miles better than hoods. There’s always a hat or two of varying thickness in my car/bag/coat pocket for walking the dog / chopping wood / walking around town. I also own a small selection of ridiculous hats to make me easily identifiable on a ski slope. I wouldn’t wear these in a social situation though, I’d look like a chump.

bungle

If you want to get ahead get a hat!

br
    Free Member

Men of my grandfather’s generation just wore a hat, the same way they wore trousers and a shirt.

Of my two Grandfathers, one always wore a hat and the other never did – the one that never did was unusual for his generation. My Father never has, and he’s 80 y/o this year.

ononeorange

The best thing about cold weather is being able to wear a hat on the way to work, I feel I can re-join the human race again!

trail_rat
    Free Member

The hat is not dead …. Last nights chanel 4 news terry pratchet was on talking to jon snow wearing a —— top hat.

Legend.

CountZero

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Terry Pratchett not wearing a hat! I’ve met him several times, at book signings, and he’s always had one on.

buzz1024
    Free Member

Beanie at work, sealskin one if its raining. Just got a new leather widebrim to replace an ancient stetson that finally died. I like hats – they keeps me head warm and I don’t care if folk think I look like a dick.

CountZero

Currently following the progress of one of these across the Atlantic:

Proper fur, not synthetic. Toasty! 😀

maccruiskeen

Pictured you more in one of these CZ

to go with that nice Pendleton jacket of yours

😯

🙂

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

Another confirmed hat wearer here! I started finding my head got cold in the winter in my early 20s, and since then have had a selection of hats that make me look like a prat.

Currently favouring a Harris Tweed flat cap that I do think make me look dapper. As I’m now over 40 I think that I can carry it off.

Skull cap under the helmet for riding in cold weather, woollen breton hat (which my wife hates) for working outside / playing football etc in the winter.

I caught the end of the Terry Pratchett interview too last night, what a fantastic hat. Top fellow too, a real bugger about the Altzeimers

CountZero

Um, maccruiskeen, my Pendleton shirt, is a regular blue-grey check, wool shirt, like my check flannel shirts.
    Not unlike this one:

I don’t do bright, apart from the occasional red fleece, most of what I wear is subdued or camo.
    The Beach Boys were originally called the Pendletones, because surfers wore Pendleton wool shirts après-surf, in the cool evenings. Small pop-culture factoid, there. 😀
    That thing you posted is ghastly beyond belief, only an American could wear something like that, without irony…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not a fan of TP’s books but that topper was a thing of beauty.

maccruiskeen

That thing you posted is ghastly beyond belief,

I know, I’m only teasing. Their shirts are quite handsome. Can you imagine life in the factory where they make those jackets though. Those workers need counselling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only Hats I wear are a cycling cap (or Casquette) for riding or a baseball cap for sailing.

I say let your locks flow 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Terry Pratchett not wearing a hat! I’ve met him several times, at book signings, and he’s always had one on.

The hat is a part of his ‘persona’. Without it, he’s just another chap with a beard sauntering around Salisbury. (Or at least he used to be, haven’t seen him for a while now, sadly I suspect due to his deteriorating health.)

Likewise, if Slash were to tie his hair back, take the hat off, and wear something other than leather trews, he’d be largely anonymous. 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I would say, if anything, hats are going through a revival at the moment/ last few years. You see loads wearing flat caps out and about. I have 3 or 4, and generally don’t go out without one.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘What killed off the hat?’ is closed to new replies.