Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • What killed off the hat?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve been watching some social history programs recently and was amazed to see how prevalent the hat was for both sexes. Millinery must have been a good money making career back then. When and why did folk stop buying and wearing hats? I know some people wear hats today but they are generally dicks.

bencooper
    Free Member

Hey, I wear a hat 😉

grum
    Free Member

Quite a few ironic (or are they?) flat caps worn around these parts. I know what you mean though – if you see pictures from old football matches etc almost every single man is wearing a hat.

I guess we just stopped believing in weird social conventions like it being the done thing to wear a hat.

yunki
    Free Member

toppers3933
    Free Member

Love a good hat me. Really want a bowler hat. Not brave enough though.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hobsbawn wrote somewhere about studying old photos and the way the flat cap was taken up by working men in a short time frame.

orena45

Just needs a whippet…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was wearing a fedora for a nice walk this morning. Hats are ace.

Moses

Fashion. Kennedy didn’t, and that made a difference. And cars, which kept you dry so you didn’t need one.

kayak23

This…This killed off the hat.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqInvZ9hY9Y[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

Heating in public buildings and better heaters in cars killed off the hat. Notice how old folk still wear hats, gloves and coats in their cars and don’t know how to use the heater and demister?

Clothes are lighter too, if you’ve ever worn an old wool coat you’ll have been surprised at the weight of it. Imagine wearing a vest, shirt, waistcoat, jacket and coat.

Cougar

I’ve got something like this:

… though I’m rarely brave enough to wear it, I’m never quite sure what goes with it. I’m prone to wearing a buff bandana-style when camping / hiking too.

I guess we just stopped believing in weird social conventions like it being the done thing to wear a hat.

Now we just need to extend the same idea to ties.

Harry_the_Spider

I once saw a dyslexic yorkshireman with a cat flap on his head.

chiefgrooveguru

I think LJK Setright argues that it was the popularisation of the motor car, which certainly makes sense.

z1ppy

I have a well worn green one of these (sun/rain hat):

I wear it any time I can, unfortunately it doesn’t look as good on, as it does in my head – it came from NZ, been back there and back again and been my constant companion for 10 odd years, it’s a little tatty. I also have a leather one like Cougars, but again find the idea of wearing it too embarrassing. Otherwise I wear a thinsulate bobble hat when it’s cold, it looks silly as hell, but keep my head warm.

I kind of loved caps when I was younger, but stopped wearing them for some reason, always wanted something like an Afrikakorps caps.

yunki
    Free Member

you need to start ’em young, and those understated hats you’ve displayed up there just really aren’t trying hard enough.. It’s no wonder hat-wearing has died off with lacklustre efforts like those

drlex
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    I think LJK Setright argues that it was the popularisation of the motor car, which certainly makes sense.

I’d heard that, along with JFK, Second World War, men’s shampoo / hair-dressing , etc. Probably even possible toakr a case for Rock’n’roll being responsible.

{wearing cricket cap whilst walking dog}

kayak23

What is one supposed to doff at ladies without a hat? I wear one frequently.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The car.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hats are quite good if you don’t have much hair.
    Got about a dozen flat caps in various weights, colours, fabrics. I wear them because I like them.
    Not enough hat wearing IMHO.
    Women look great in hats.

Truckers and baseball caps are an abomination on anyone over 35 unless you are a trucker, baseball player, sponsored podium placed sportsperson or American.

bigblackshed

And what’s with these large trucker caps with the flat brim, big enough to be able to tuck the ears in? Yes Gee Atherton, I’m talking to you! 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Michael Bywater wrote well about this. Men of my grandfather’s generation just wore a hat, the same way they wore trousers and a shirt. People don’t wear a hat now, they wear a hat – it’s a deliberate fashion statement.

I like my hat because it doesn’t rustle like a hood. Also gives some impact protection.

dannyh
    Free Member

Us men turning into preened nancy boys who wouldn’t want to flatten their ‘do’ with a titfer.

Taches have been semi-revived by movember, we need something similar for hats. I can’t think of any better puns that fedora-bruary, so if anyone would oblige I would be most grateful!

Now is also a good time to use the term ‘chapeau’!

yunki
    Free Member

bencooper – are you the BFG?

bencooper
    Free Member

Wide angle lens makes some things bigger.

That’s why I also use it for the page 3 shots…

psling
    Free Member

I take my hat off to you Ben, those are the longest legs I have ever seen 8)

In colder weather I regularly wear a cap or beanie, in wet weather a broad-rimmed hat, in warmer weather a sun hat or baseball cap. I am well over 35 I’m afraid but that probably gives me an air of function over fashion even though I have a good head of hair.

I would agree that enclosed vehicles and better working & living conditions have reduced the need for hats over the years.

cinnamon_girl

Is it OK to admit that since the beginning of Autumn I’ve been humming and hawing about buying a fedora? Didn’t take the plunge but will confess to wearing a big hat this year and not a stuff was given about the tuttage.

Hats are great! 8)

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve got a hat a bit like Z1ppy’s but it’s just a cheapo Peter Storm one. I look like a bit of a nob when wearing it, but it’s really comfortable and awesome for sun protection. It’s also good in the rain despite just being a sun hat. It’s old and tatty now and my wife doesn’t like it (I’ve had to retrieve it from the bin once already). Quite tempted to replace it with a Tilley but keep balking at the price.

mintimperial

ironic (or are they?) flat caps

My flat cap isn’t ironic. Keeps the rain off me specs, hides receding hairline, keeps head warm, perfect.

Also I was wearing big square NHS glasses for years before it became fashionable. Now I look like I’m trying too hard to be Hipster Dad, when I’m actually just wearing my normal middle-aged dork stuff. Damn kids.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tilly hat. It’s the lightweight nylon one, brilliant piece of kit for hill walking.

Keeps the sun off in the summer and keeps you dry even when its pissing down. Does look a little daft but I don’t really car.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not buying any of this ‘oh my hat’s jolly practical’ guff.. you wear a hat because you believe that it makes you look dapper..

fact

samuri
    Free Member

I often wear a baseball type cap when it’s raining because it keeps the rain off my glasses. It’s strictly utilitarian but people instantly assume it’s a fashion statement or I’m attempting to recapture my youth.

I do wear a hat at other times, mainly when I’m cycling because this is the only cool item of cycle clothing ever.

flip
    Free Member

I wear a beanie from November to March and really only take it off for bed, sometimes not.

And yesterday for indoor climbing.

zippykona

I never wear a hat indoors and always remove it when going through a door.
    Don’t know why ,just habit I guess.

mattsccm
    Free Member

WW2 and to some extent the continuing national service. After years unwillingly wearing uniform that included a hat, the ability to go bare headed was taken up by many. Hats were worn more and more by only the elderly.
    Fashion has brought them back slightly i.e. the baseball cap but that’s not been to the extent that wearing them was pre war.
    In certain circles hats have remained more common i.e. the shooting world where a hat serves the purpose of disguising the face to some extent and its use has been carried on when the gun is in its case.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Nothing to add but where is that Ben?

bencooper
    Free Member

The guncotton section at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Bishopton.

Royal Ordnance Factory Bishopton

fourbanger
    Free Member

Like it!

CountZero

I know some people wear hats today but they are generally dicks.

Sweeping generalisation there, n’est pas? 🙄

yunki – Member
    I’m not buying any of this ‘oh my hat’s jolly practical’ guff.. you wear a hat because you believe that it makes you look dapper..

fact bollocks

I’ve worn hats for years, used to be baseball hats, now six-panel duckbill cloth caps, because they stop the top of my head getting sunburned, keep the rain off my glasses, and shade my eyes when it’s sunny. I have two Tilly hats as well, a wax-cotton one for when it’s pissing down, and a Canadian Winter one, for when it’s cold and snowy, because it has ear-and-forehead flaps to keep those bits warm. I also wear various beanies when it’s cold, because I hate having cold ears.
    I’ve got a lovely felt fedora as well, and I’ve just ordered a Russian Federal Army officers Ushanka, those typical Russian wool/furry hats with the ear flaps, which I think will be very welcome, very soon.
    The only time anyone wears a hat to look ‘dapper’, is when they wear a topper with a morning suit for the races or a swanky wedding.
    Anyone who imagines otherwise is a dick.

cyve
    Free Member

Hoods restrict hearing and vision.
    Hats are far better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘What killed off the hat?’ is closed to new replies.