Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • What killed off the hat?
  • yunki
    Free Member

countzero – 😆

you just carry on givin’ your mind a treat there son 😆

senorj

I also wear a hat…used to be baseball type , but I realised the error of my ways.
    I’m now too old for those. 😉
    Now I favour the “train driver” or “communist worker” stylee.
    Sun protection and baldy pate disguiser!! 😀

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Wearing hats is cool, but wearing hats in doors is just plain wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed. For a start, how do you get inside the door?

brakes
    Free Member

I only wear a hat when I’m hungover.
    a nice warm beanie to give my head a hug.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I wear a hat because I have no hair and get a cold swede. I chose the hat on purely on whichever one makes me look less of a tw@.

jamj1974

Pretty sure a lot of people wear a hat to feel “dapper” as mentioned as well as almost essential in cold or hot conditions for baldies like me. Nothing wrong with either IMHO.

maccruiskeen

I’m now too old for those.

I think the end of universal hat wearing has a lot to do with the end all sorts of universal dress for men – all the men of a certain profession or class pretty much dressing the same. Men would dress the same whether they were 17 or 70 and pretty much whether it was summer or winter and whether they were at work or on holiday. It not all that long ago that all the men arriving for work in the city would have pretty much suit, bowler hat and and umbrella and all the men arriving at the factory gates would have a flat cap. These days even in an office where you’d be expected to wear a suit and tie you’d not all be dressed the same.

That said though I expect that, short of state occasions, in a few years there won’t be many situations there won’t be many instances where blokes will wear ties, or at least be expected to.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think part of it is also that most towns now have more than one mens clothes shop, with more than one type of hat.

Cougar

for baldies like me

That’s another thing; I think it’s harder to carry off a hat with longer hair (unless you’re Slash).

Candodavid
    Free Member

Beanie, pretty much all year round, just in different weights

PePPeR

I’m another Tilley hat (a TH5 made of Hemp) wearer, I wear one nearly all the time when working outdoors, shades my eyes keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter. When I’m at work I wear a flat cap when its cold as its easier when getting in and out of the van.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    for baldies like me
    That’s another thing; I think it’s harder to carry off a hat with longer hair (unless you’re Slash).

For the record slash does not carry off a hat. He looks like a prick. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

What’s with the wearing of hats indoors? Especially beanies?

wingnuts

Don’t you mean esecially Bennie’s ?

WillH

yunki – Member
    I’m not buying any of this ‘oh my hat’s jolly practical’ guff.. you wear a hat because you believe that it makes you look dapper..

fact
    Go on then, I’ll bite… I wear a hat on a regular basis because my skin, with it’s Celtic heritage, does not get on particularly well with the UV levels here in New Zealand. I look like a twazzock while wearing it (more of a twazzock than usual, if you were being unkind) and I know it. I have one of those heads that does not and cannot ‘carry off a hat’ to nick that expression up there ^. A hat means I can get away with less sunscreen (I dislike sunscreen more than I dislike hats).

No amount of millinery could make me look dapper 🙁 .

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Always wear a hat when I’m out. Australia innit? You soon get over the “I look like a pilchard” wearing a hat when you’ve had “ohmygoodgod my head it burning” once or twice. The sun is so bright, even in winter, that just sunnies aren’t good enough as the sneaky sun finds the gaps and gets ya.

Got a selection of caps, boonies and a summer Tilley hat which makes me look like something from Brokeback mountain but does the job of keeping the sun off my head ears and neck. Yee haaar.

Hat iz happy.

yunki
    Free Member

I lay awake last night worrying about this..

I wonder, could it have been video? We are aware that there is a popular theory that video had a rather terminal effect on the radio star.
    I wonder if video may have also in some way contributed to the demise of the hat?

jamj1974

I as WillH only wear hats due to weather or for protection myself. I have a round face and hats are not kind to this at all! I would look a dick in a fedora or trilby. I also don’t dress in a way that would suit another hat. I’m either business smart/business casual or jeans, shirt jumper/jeans t-shirt. I don’t have any personal style a hat would go with.

Baseball cap outdoors in the sun, beanie or waterproof cap with ear flaps in the cold and helmet on the bike.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Hat on here every time I’m out, same as aphex, crispy sunburnt ears many years ago means I don’t mind looking like a pillock.

Nick

I look like a pillock regardless, and I’d rather look like a pillock without a sunburnt bonce.

neilthewheel

I did enjoy the Steeleye Span, thx.
    Ed Stewpot though – what a dick. With or without a hat.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not a hat wearer here except for practical reasons i.e. thinning hair.

But I have to be honest that I think flat caps on anyone under 60 just look ridiculous. Certainly a 20 year old just looks daft wearing one!

mogrim

In summer I wear a hat a lot, central Spain is not ideal when you’re fair skinned… and a wooly hat is pretty essential for winter mornings, too.

epicyclo

People used to wear hats because they used to spend much longer outdoors on their daily business.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have a huge black cowboy hat, bought it in yellowstone 10 years ago and wore it in the american sun but back home its tucked up in its box in the garage, damned shame. bring back the hat !

BigDummy
    Free Member

Usually wear a cap under my helmet on the bike
    Usually wear a flat cap when it’s cold
    Often wear a Tilley hat when it’s hot
    Always pack a fleece beanie just in case
    Have a top hat that doesn’t get much use
    Don’t much care for my trilby, it’s too Cheltenham Festival for the rest of my wardrobe.

teasel
    Free Member

My bald bonce is protected from the sun by this sweat-stained workhorse…

Come winter, though, I prefer a hoody. Maybe it was the rise of the hoody that heralded the decline of the hat.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

After having a couple of dodgy looking moles removed a few years ago I now have a range of hats for the summer. Better safe than sorry.

Walking the dog on the beach in the winter has also taught me the value of a decent hat for the winter. Nobody likes a cold head 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

if it’s A) cold, i need a hat.

if it’s B) hot, i need a hat.

if it’s C) sunny, i need a hat.

if it’s D) rainy, i need a hat.

if it looks like it might be A/B/C/D in the next few hours, i’ll take a hat just in case.

i have lots of hats.

flat caps are surprisingly versatile, so i have one of those too, nothing ironic about it.

I have plenty of hats, because I am a dapper gent.

I also quite like wearing ties, although regretfully I’m not old enough to carry off a cravat.

Everywhere I go people stop and stare in awe…

globalti
    Free Member

I keep a cap folded in a compartment of my laptop bag for when I’m in Africa and find myself out in the sun. Just walking from the car to the office can be unpleasant and a few years ago I had a solar keratosis removed; the consultant warned me to keep my head covered up.

RustySpanner

I used to wear a trilby quite a lot when I was a kid. 😀
    I thought it made me look liike one of The Clash: Hat, donkey jacket, black trews, DM’s, silk scarf.

In reallity I just looked like a spotty wazzock in his dad’s old hat.

Since starting to go bald, I wear a flat cap in the winter.
    A natty green waterproof number from Failsworth Hats.
    Who come from Failsworth.
    Keeps me warm and dry – proper woolly hats make me too hot.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

It used to be illegal in this country for working class people not to wear a hat. People were also banned from wearing any fabrics considered ‘above their position in life’.

Maybe the beginning of the end for the hat in Britain was when they stopped fining working class people for not wearing one, so then the move towards choice became available.

I am guessing social pressure was also quite heavily applied between then and more recent times. I can still remember discussions between women about the social repercussions/criticisms of not wearing a hat to weddings.

yunki
    Free Member

They still have similar sartorial discussions on here from time to time

pictonroad

Slash does NOT look like a dick.

*flounces.

CountZero

ahwiles – Member
    if it’s A) cold, i need a hat.

if it’s B) hot, i need a hat.

if it’s C) sunny, i need a hat.

if it’s D) rainy, i need a hat.

if it looks like it might be A/B/C/D in the next few hours, i’ll take a hat just in case.

i have lots of hats.

flat caps are surprisingly versatile, so i have one of those too, nothing ironic about it.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.
    My personal favourite, that actually looks ok, and is really comfy to wear, is one of these:

Lots of people wearing this style of cloth cap now, traditional, but a modern spin on it.
    Mine cost me £6, from a stall at our local folk festival.
    Next time it comes around, I’m buying a couple more, in different colours.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Beanies. Ideally woolly ones, but synth ones are OK too

ourmaninthenorth

I have yet to find a hat which doesn’t enhance me looking like a twazzock. Maybe I need to find an old-fashioned milliner and try on enough too find the one that will work.

Though, TBH, at 5’7″, nothing too wide brimmed or I’ll look like a ginger gangster….

Cowman

Teasel are you Phil Harding?? !

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘What killed off the hat?’ is closed to new replies.