Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • What is it with Australia?
  • SaxonRider

I was listening to Radio 4 last night, and they were talking about some provision that will allow police authorities to recruit chiefs ‘…from America, and Australia, and other places with a similar legal system to ours…’

To be honest, as a Canadian expat, I felt a bit put out by this. I mean, Canada shares exactly the same legal system as the UK, has exactly the same parliamentary system as the UK, and it didn’t get a look-in.

But of course, this seems to happen quite often. People talk about Australia (and to a lesser extent New Zealand) in terms of sports, and holidays all the time. Heck, even events in Austrialian politics get reported here. But Canada? Very little.

Come to think of it, in coverage of one of the recent world university rankings, in which Canada had three universities in the top 50, an article mentioned the position of UK, US, and Australian universities.

There are numerous examples, from entertainment to politics to sport, I can think of that exemplify what feels like a neglect (or just plain ignorance) of Canada, and I am wondering why people think this is.

Or am I just imagining it?

hels
    Free Member

With that size of chip on your shoulder, I suggest you move to Scotland, you will fit right in.

SaxonRider

How exactly did you read that into my question? 🙄

gonefishin
    Free Member

It’s not really any different to people who can’t or don’t differentiate between England and the United Kingdom and then get shirty when someone points it out to them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tim Tam, anyone?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is it not a made up place then? Like Narnia?

soulwood
    Free Member

I reckon it’s the French issue that puts us off, share with the French! That’s just not colonial cricket what!

hels
    Free Member

No Mr stabiliser, that’s Tasmania.

jekkyl

so you’re sore because Australia ignores Canada?
    maybe get out more?

martinhutch

They mentioned America. Why do they have to mention individual states?

bokonon
    Free Member

I think it is the perception that less people move there from the UK (or dream about doing so…), therefore there is less demand for information about it from people back home – Australia is viewed as having more UK expats there, and as such, the news is interested in reporting about what is going on somewhere where some people feel they have a connection. I have no idea if that is actually the case – but I don’t think that news reporting etc. is done on the basis of factual assessment, perception is much stronger on that sort of thing anyway – and self reinforcing.

There is also that big bit that is quite French, and many English people have a bizarre thing about the French – which is perhaps related to the above perception that less people head there or want to head there.

SaxonRider

Actually Jekkyl, I think Australians and Canadians recognise each other and get along just fine. I’m just curious as to whether my perception of Australia as a more ‘favoured’ English-speaking country than Canada is correct, and what its origins are. Like a shared sports tradition (rugby and cricket, for example, as opposed to ice hockey and lacrosse), or something else.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Is it not a made up place then? Like Narnia?

Are you sure it isn’t made up? you never hear about it in the news or anything. All I really know is it’s someplace near South Park and that you get to it through a wardrobe.

whether my perception of Australia as a more ‘favoured’ English-speaking country than Canada is correct

I reckon its a climate thing. Australia is PERCIEVED to be warm and sunny and full of easy going blokes, whereas Canda is cold and full of French.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No that’s TamsinArchernia,

Canada is a real place like coronation street.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No that’s TamsinArchernia, (thanks Hels – geogrpahy ninja)

Canada is a real place like coronation street.

wwaswas

I heard this the other day;

“Australia – Canada in a thong”

No idea if it’s true but it made me laugh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And it’s seperated by a small fence only from nutsville.

uggski

The new Governor of the Bank of England is Canadian so you do get a look in. That’s a pretty influential position IMHO.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And besides we like our colonials noisy and repellant, thats why we sent them there.

mogrim

I reckon it’s the sports: we’re crap at ice hockey, and the Canadians know nothing about rugby, cricket or football.

And the weird and poisonous animals.

Klunk
    Free Member

can you get time off work for “colony envy” ?

plyphon
    Free Member

What’s it all aboot, eh?

lemonysam
    Free Member

vs.

midlifecrashes

I used to think colonic irrigation was watering the outback…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So what are you after, more Canada news, or less Australia news?

SaxonRider

mrmonkfinger – Member

So what are you after, more Canada news, or less Australia news?

A little bit of both, really probably.

swavis

I like Canada, the trails there really made me feel alive!

zippykona

I think Australia has a very definite identity whereas Canada is some place near America with snow.

brakes
    Free Member

I think it’s because Australia is better connected to the UK:
    – greater numbers of immigrants/ migrants
    – similar sports being played – rugby, cricket
    – Neighbours and Home & Away

ads678

I reckon it’s the sports: we’re crap at ice hockey, and the Canadians know nothing about rugby, cricket or football.

This

You need to be better at, at least two of those sports before we recognise you. Do it quick cos I love Canada, although I’ve never been to the French bit!!

SaxonRider

@zippykona

See, that’s sort of what I am trying to understand. Obviously Canadians don’t see themselves that way, but if we’re comparing, then Australian has none of the characteristics that I think make Canada more interesting.

For example:

1. We’re bilingual
    2. We have cool sports
    3. We are a hardy bunch that live in snow for a good part of the year
    4. We have a strong intellectual tradition
    5. The tension that comes from living beside America, also makes for interesting contrasts
    6. We have an interesting history and a Native people that introduce a whole ‘appreciation for the earth’ dimension to our culture

Now, I know that Australia has some comparable features; but with twice the population, and a more diverse migration profile, I would think Canada might be seen as more interesting than it seems to be.

Pigface
    Free Member

They are quite similar, interesting bit on the sides with a huge void in the middle 😉 Both get insanely hot and then one gets stupid cold.

I prefer Canada

wwaswas

I think most Brits are confused about Canada.

There seems to be a small French nation embedded inside it. No one really understands why.

Australia seems to mostly be people with cockney accents talking with clenched teeth to keep the flies out and far easier to grasp as a government/judicial system.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

No confusion here.

Canada = bears, Australia = crocs.

Simple.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

For example:

1. We’re bilingual – Yeaah but FRENCH
    2. We have cool sports No you don’t
    3. We are a hardy bunch that live in snow for a good part of the year – only cos you have to
    4. We have a strong intellectual tradition – Do you talk to girls ever, that’s not leaping out at me as a chat up line
    5. The tension that comes from living beside America, also makes for interesting contrasts – see above
    6. We have an interesting history and a Native people that introduce a whole ‘appreciation for the earth’ dimension to our culture – yoghurt weaving, boring francophiles with a mild neighbour dispute. Sounds like one huge housing estte from undistinguished berkshire has been transplanted to north america

Hoist by your own petard

(just taking the P, would actually quite like to go to canada –

zokes
    Free Member

Maybe because your government even manages to make Abbot look like a hand wringing lefty?

ericemel
    Free Member

Doesn’t Canada get covered when referring to America in the the same way Scotland does with England?

fasthaggis

If someone gave me a ticket to Australia I would trade it in for a ticket to Canada,or give it away.

If I went to New Zealand ,I would not plan to visit Australia just cause I was down that way.

I would go back to Canada in a heartbeat

I don’t know why I am not attracted to Aus as a place to visit,maybe I is just weird 😉

ThePinkster

I think that it’s 2 fold –

1) Canada is right next to the good ol’ USofA which shouts loudly about everything it does, likes to tell everyone who will or won’t listen how great they are and think they own the world.

2) Australia likes to shout loudly about to anyone who will or won’t listen how great they are and think they own the Southern hemisphere.

In both cases Canada is seen as being meek & mild, not attracting any attention and just getting on with it, so no-one notices it.

Although this did seem to work in it’s favour in the current global financial situation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘What is it with Australia?’ is closed to new replies.