Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)
  • What fast, slightly practical car?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hey!

I’ve got a MK8 Golf R on order, but there’s production issues at the moment. So, I’ve been looking around again.

Post-covid I’ll be driving about 3 hours when I go to work.

I’ve got a Hyundai i30N at the moment, which just makes the drive to work enjoyable.

Anyway, I’m after something quick, around 4 seconds 0-60. Two seats is fine. But needs a OK size boot for two collies – never far with them, just 30 minutes max.

Doesn’t need to fit bikes. Probably a max of £60k.

On the list at the moment is an AMG A45, and I’ve been looking at things like the M2, 3.0 Supra – but obviously boot space is an issue.

Anything else worth looking at? I feel like the Golf R is probably the sweet spot.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

GR Yaris, i did sell mine though, fast just got boring, bought a Mazda 2 GT, half the power twice the fun a real gem of a car, the Skyactive engines are a marvel of engineering.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Audi S3 is pretty much the same car but nicer inside/slightly less power(irl, not on paper)

Or a second hand rs3 but you are next stage with them.

thols2
    ElShalimo

A hire car… fastest cars in the world

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Golf R would probably be my choice.

But might be worth having a look at the Ford Focus RS. Or a Cupra Leon.

The BMW 128ti gets good reviews but not convinced about the looks.

My current setup is a warm hatch and a motorbike 🙂

colp

335d Touring with a stage 1 remap

holmesy
    Free Member

If it only needs to be slightly practical – at that budget Cayman offers very different driving experience to GolfR. The R felt to me like it would be too easy to go silly speeds in when I tried one.

Or a Beamer M140 or suchlike

holmesy
    Free Member

Just read the bit about needing to fit dogs….Ah.

convert

Two cars.

Dull comfortable and efficient for a 3hr commute (each way? Blimey. How often?) and 2nd hand impractical and scary for other times.

earl_brutus

£60k is one hell of a budget, and I’d never conceive spending that much on a depreciating liability, even if I had the cash it would be £20k tops on something like a 4 yr old low miles Audi S3 and the rest would go on not having to go to work when I am old.

nixie

I’d assume finance rather than purchase.

maxtorque

“Fast”, or “fast and fun”? Big difference!

Plenty of “fast” modern cars, but very few fast and fun ones…….

Frankly, i have no idea why you want a car that’ll do 4 seconds to 60? The only reason i can think of is to brang to your mates how fast your car is?

I’d much rather have a slow car that feels fast and is fun to drive!

tonyd

Not much boot space in S3 type cars. I had a 3 series tourer a few years ago, boot might be big enough for two collies but I’d go bigger. In true STW form, recommend what you’ve got, last year I got an Audi A6 All Road. Big, practical, comfortable, fast (not 4 seconds fast but fast enough for me). If 4 seconds is a real requirement then maybe look at an RS6, you could get a nice second hand one for £60k!

plus-one

Sure it’ll dip under 4sec 0-60 😉

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105072333153

timber

Used 911.
    A friend is just getting one as the Elise isn’t practical for them both going out with the dog.
    Buying it from the sale of an M140 that just wasn’t interesting enough.

Older cars may not have stats in their favour, but doesn’t make them a bad drive.

We had a 944 for a while and it was a more involving drive, well built and capable than many newer things that outperformed it on paper.

rickon
    Free Member

Dull comfortable and efficient for a 3hr commute (each way? Blimey. How often

The drive can be pretty interesting. I’ve had dull, comfortable BMWs, r ally not my thing.

Frankly, i have no idea why you want a car that’ll do 4 seconds to 60? The only reason i can think of is to brang to your mates how fast your car is?

I appreciate decent acceleration out of turns. For me there’s a big difference between 6 seconds and 4 seconds. And generally, that’s a difference between classes – e.g Honda Type R, Focus RS, i30n, GTi, and then M2, RS3, new R, etc.

I did look at the Cayman, would be ideal, if it wasnt for the dogs. I do have Transit Sport too, so could just ditch the idea of dogs in the car – it’s just handy, as we live in a remote valley.

£60k is one hell of a budget, and I’d never conceive spending that much on a depreciating liability

Bikes, cars and guitars. I’d rather enjoy my income now, than when I’m 70 or 80 and unable to do much. My dad died the year he was due to retire, so I’m not that fussed!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Gosh another gentle brag !

If you have to ask this question then you don’t deserve a fast car !

grtdkad

There’s a bunch of cars that satisfy your criteria.
    My 4.4sec 175mph mile muncher cost much less (do you need to buy new?). I have owned the ex-Harry’s Garage XJR since last autumn. Stunning in every way … now just plain BRG – no Orange lipstick in sight!

Oh, and such is the engineering excellence in the Jaguar, on the motorway I easily return 38mpg, last time fully laden with five adults and gears in a 300 mile run to Northumberland. Not bad for a 5 litre supercharged V8. It’s barely ticking-over at 70mph

rickon
    Free Member

Gosh another gentle brag !

If you have to ask this question then you don’t deserve a fast car !

Eh?

Are you referring to me asking for suggestions of a fast car? Or that I’ve a budget of up to £60k. Both are important to know what to suggest. Loads of folk earn way more money than me, I just have no kids and no commitments!

Plus, I’m in a good position as my dad left me some money when he passed away to spend on a nice car.

rickon
    Free Member

Anyway! Back to cars.

Jaguar – that lead me to Google the F-Type. Fits the brief pretty well. I know nothing about jags though, never even sat in one!

grtdkad

Nothing like a Jaguar Rickon, I’ve had four.
    Just remember they are schizophrenic, absolutely sublime, calm and comfortable most of the time but can be (brutally) quick when you want them to be.

rickon
    Free Member

But might be worth having a look at the Ford Focus RS. Or a Cupra Leon.

The BMW 128ti gets good reviews but not convinced about the looks.

Ford stopped making the RS – too difficult to stack up with the direction on environment.

The Cupra… I want to get away from FWD, it’s engaging, but I’m fed up of torque steer and axle tramp when I’m being lazy.

boardmanfs18

If you want a car with drama, get a V8!

Mustang 550, C63 coupe, Lexus v8 coupe.

I had a C63, was always an occasion to drive, even pootling round town was fun because of the noise.

holmesy
    Free Member

If the dogs are not an absolute must have I would try test driving a Cayman, the 911 suggestion someone made also worth looking at.

Agree with the comments that fast doesn’t mean interesting – I would say the Porsche is so much more involving that many cars I’ve tried – enjoyable at 45 mph. If you looked at a Cayman the Gen2, 6 cylinder Cayman / CaymanS would be miles under your budget too so could get a nice bike too!

nickewen
    Free Member

Left field option: Tesla Model 3 Performance? Only practical point letting it down is the saloon format for your dogs. 60 in 3.1s and £10 change from your £60k which will get you a few full charges on the right tariff!

Had mine a year now and still laugh like a lunatic when I bury the throttle. Silly quick.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Was just about to suggest a Tesla! Bonkers quick.

Have a look at the Carwow channel on YouTube. Mat Watson does great reviews of fast cars and also drag races including the Tesla against a Lamborghini.

w00dster

I’ve had a fair few “fast cars”. 911 (993), TVR Chimera, AMG Mercedes C series and currently have a DB9. They’re not fun for 3 hour daily drives. I’ve always found them fun for weekends around nice country lanes. But not for sat in traffic.
    I’m in the market for a new car with similar needs, but settling for nippy and comfortable. Looking at an Audi TT or a Mini Cooper S. 0-62 in about 7 seconds, but comfortable daily drivers.

somafunk

Nothing really to offer but id discount the 3.0 supra, there’s issues with the handling regarding bump steer and traction control issues.

iamtheresurrection

Teslas are bonkers quick, but once the novelty wears off of making yourself feel sick in a straight line, you realise it’s hardly something you could call light, nimble or fun in the corners… Sports cars they are definitely not.

I’ve just sold a Golf R. Again. Great car, nice and (comparatively) light but it’s arguably too good and in use totally uninspiring to drive. Mine was a 7.5, and although I like the look of the 8 the touchscreen and capacitive buttons in my wife’s ID3 would almost certainly make me stay away. Plus, some of the plastics in the new one really are a bit cheap.

Worse than that though, are the Golf’s noisy top links/bushes which start at around six months old and never go away. I don’t think they changed in the 8. They drove me crazy, but some owners say they never hear them (they must never drive without music).

For your criteria, if I was buying tomorrow, I’d stick on a blindfold/disguise and buy a Civic Type R. It’s still by far the best ‘normal’ car I’ve driven. Realise it’s not sub 5 seconds 0-60 but I’m not really interested in drag races, more how it drives once moving.

rickon
    Free Member

always found them fun for weekends around nice country lanes. But not for sat in traffic.

I live in a remote place, and the drive to work is fairly country lane’ish. So generally interesting rather than sat in motorway traffic.

you looked at a Cayman the Gen2, 6 cylinder Cayman / CaymanS would be miles under your budget too so could get a nice bike too!

I’ve been through the Cayman builder a few times – as soon as you add a couple of options it gets pretty expensive!

The other part of the brief is it has to be a new car. I just like the convenience of warranty, being able to spec exactly what I want, and knowing it’s not been redlined every drive.

rickon
    Free Member

For your criteria, if I was buying tomorrow, I’d stick on a blindfold/disguise and buy a Civic Type R. It’s still by far the best ‘normal’ car I’ve driven.

I was pretty close to putting down a deposit on one. But .. It’s quite petty, but they sound awful. Like a vacuum cleaner. Driving for me is an experience, and how the car sounds is a part of that for me.

And.. that 3 pipe exhaust. I like the facelifted front end, but the back end looks like it should be on a 600hp car.

howarthp

I’m picking up an M340i estate in just over a week. It’s taken about 5 weeks from spec to delivery. It seems to tick a lot of your boxes.

iamtheresurrection

I was pretty close to putting down a deposit on one. But .. It’s quite petty, but they sound awful.

I don’t think they sound that bad inside the car, certainly more interesting a noise than the noise from my Golf, IMO. I had a 340i (F21 not G21^) for a year or so. That had a lovely, lovely noise and tonnes of lovely torque and handled pretty well – but again you wouldn’t call it fun to drive. At all.

I’m car-less as of last week and cycle most commutes/school runs but pretty sure I’m going to go on the list for a Yaris GR, and buy a used JCW 3 door in the meantime. I reckon about 200-250 bhp in a small light car is my sweet spot.

Daffy

Fast and slightly practical? if SH is an option – 911 or BMW M6. If it has to be new…could you get Model S Long range for that?

I certainly wouldn’t be dropping real money on a new ICE car these days.

somafunk

Gr Yaris with full miltek exhaust for shits n’ giggles and a shitbox estate of your choosing for dog duties (rs4?), should leave plenty of change for track days and servicing.

Not what you wanted but ive had a passenger seat run through the galloway hills in a GR Yaris and it was an absolute grin inducing loon of a car at semi sensible speeds.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Mazda MX-5 will be fun and you probably won’t care you’re not going any faster.

Have you ever considered a motorbike? Much speed for little cash!

rockandrollmark

Delivery mileage pre-reg Alfa Stelvio Quadfoglio. Bang on budget, 0-60 in 4.0 and you could get dogs AND bikes in the back.

Plus it’s available now.

And it’s red. We all know red ones go faster.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102259454250

julians
    Free Member

If it has to be new and you don’t need to get dogs in, then either a bmw m2, alfa giulia quadrifoglio, or that gr yaris.

Are there any deals to be had on that minging looking new BMW m3 or m4 yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘What fast, slightly practical car?’ is closed to new replies.