Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone got a Mk 2 MX-5 and £10k handy?
  • CountZero

Then one of these looks like it could be a lot of fun to build…
    https://monochrome-watches.com/an-alfa-romeo-158-alfetta-grand-prix-car-based-on-a-mazda-mx5/

Beautiful looking car, too. Given the available cash, space, and someone with the appropriate skills to help, I’d have one, what with Castle Combe circuit only five miles away.

grahamt1980

That is awesome.

a11y

Oh wow. I would.

nstpaul

Cool as F, but actually closer to £20k plus donor car. I would love it though, would be like a much cooler less practical Caterham!

LAT

i wonder if you can combine this with a Monster Miata V8 conversion?

dirkpitt74

Wonder if you could make it road legal?

dirkpitt74

Although for less money you could build this:
    MK Indy RX-5
    And with the OMEX ECU upgrade you can get 160bhp out of the 1.8 – so looking at around 300bhp/ton.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“replica”

MrOvershoot

Well I’ve an early 2001 MX5 1.8s…………..

But seeing as I have just bought a 2014 981 Boxster S I don’t have 10k + spare 😉

CountZero

“replica”

And? Your point is, caller?

cynic-al
    Free Member

@Countzero my point is that that word is missing, seems odd to me. It is obvious what it is, but I’m not a fan of the creeping change of language in this way.

No doubt many will disagree or not care.

theotherjonv

Eh?

First 2 paragraphs of the linked article.

<b>Yes, you’ve read that correctly, and I’m sure you are just as baffled (and perhaps intrigued) as I was first reading this; an Alfa Romeo Tipo 158 “Alfetta” based on a Mazda MX5. Sounds extremely unlikely, but there’s no other way around it. A Mazda MX5 can be turned into an Alfa Romeo 158 replica.

Long-time petrolhead and master-mechanic Ant Anstead of ‘Wheeler Dealers’ is the man behind this baffling project. He built an Alfa Romeo 158 replica by himself, pretty much from scratch, and now offers a kit that uses donor parts from the fabled Japanese roadster. This begs for answers to a whole range of questions!</b>

seems crystal clear that it’s a replica? And ctrl-f says that replica is in the article five times?

I’m not a petrol head but that is brilliant. Someone do it, please!

kerley
    Free Member

I watched a few of the episodes of Ant building it, did look nice. He has also bought the Radford coachbuilding brand with Jenson Button and will be bringing out one off and limited run cars.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looks good but no chance

A beautiful looking thing with a 4 cyclinder Mazda engine 🤮

nickjb
    Free Member

I suspect the 1.8 will be plenty of power (how does it compare to the original Alfa, it was only a 1.5?) but if you want more you can fit a 3l jag v6 to an mx5 so that’ll probably go in this too.

nickc

Eeurgh, kit cars.  how these aren’t illegal by now baffles me, and I’ve built a couple.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suspect the 1.8 will be plenty of power (how does it compare to the original Alfa, it was only a 1.5?)

About 250-400+hp. I’d be looking at a Honda engine myself.

kerley
    Free Member

Eeurgh, kit cars. how these aren’t illegal by now baffles me, and I’ve built a couple.

Good point. With all the safety regulations on cars (a good thing) it does seem strange that you can build up what could only be considered a deathtrap in a crash. But then you can ride a motorbike and that is even worse I suppose.

I did actually drive a kit car as my only car for 3 years but have to say never really felt safe (especially when driving along next to a 38 tonne lorry on the motorway!)

retro83
    Free Member

nickc

Eeurgh, kit cars. how these aren’t illegal by now baffles me, and I’ve built a couple.

I haven’t made one but i read that the approval process has been made a lot more stringent.

Not sure this has any intentions of being uk road legal anyway (no wheel covers, lights etc)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Mk 2 MX-5 and £10k handy?’ is closed to new replies.