Viewing 23 posts - 401 through 423 (of 423 total)
  • What do you do for a living and do you enjoy it?
  • koldun
    Free Member

I had been doing years of IT support, some better than others but i don’t think i every really enjoyed it. So i jacked it in and moved to Spain.
    Now i am doing datacentre admin, which is also quite crap but very low stress and i get to ride my bike in good weather through most of the year.

RustySpanner

Maccruiskeen, cheers for that, lots to look at
    Look forward to seeing the film.
    🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Programming of sorts. Hate it. Boating, shit pay (well very average pay) unchallenging. Could realistically do the work I do in 2-3 days a week and be a lot happier but that is not how the world works.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I make business information products for global industries. Not a teccie, but do all the customer research and initial product management to get them developed before moving onto the next thing. I like it but I always think I should be doing something more real.

mudplugga
    Free Member

Run a waste management company.
    Trucks and diggers,based on the edge of cannock chase. Ride to/from work in summer.Love it!

Hobster
    Free Member

Used to work in automated trading in the city which was interesting. Now trying to work out what to do next.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I take pictures of shiny things for money, travel a bit but not too much that it becomes a drag, see some interesting places and meet lots of people, no real boss and well paid.
    I look forward to doing what I do and don’t really think of it as ‘work’.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

IT Security and Information Governance consultancy – PCI DSS ISO27001 and lots of sophos stuff and Microsoft FIM.
    Interesting and got some really good clients

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Run my own garden maintenance business. Been going nearly 7 years and I’ve chosen to work 3 days a week, 9 months a year as of last year. Can’t complain, though i do get very bored of doing the same old tasks. I’ve a great customer base, some have been on the books from the start.

It’s very satisfying, and i know I’ll never be an employee again.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dreading work tomorrow.

redthunder
    Free Member

Artist… ex QS. Still pay RICS just incase.

MoreCashThanDash

Somafunk – my kids loved your place. And your chocolate.

breadcrumb

I’m a Shell Fabricator at M-Sport. We’re responsible for producing and repairing Ford Fiesta rally cars and Bentley GT3 race cars.

I mostly enjoy my job, even after nearly 10 years. Some days though… 👿

Denis99
    Free Member

Now retired, do you need to ask if I enjoy it?

Seriously, after 45 years of being in work, I don’t miss paid employment one bit.
    took some adjustment, but one year in, its great.

somouk
    Free Member

My job has changed somewhat since the original thread came around…

I still work in IT but now work for a global content delivery network on their Tier 3 support team. Very early days but back in to real deep techy land and loving using my brain again and having to learn stuff.

WildHunter2009

This mornings meeting was pretty doom and gloom. The bosses closing words where to ‘expect change’ which sounds like code for more cuts 🙁

luke
    Free Member

By day I’m a customer service advisor in an archery shop, basically getting paid for one of my hobbies, after two years of not having a day job, this is great.

By night I’m a pyrotechnician mainly fireworks but also dabble in the odd bit of sfx, currently pimping my way around the industry keep toying with going out on my own but need to raise the funds first.

allan23
    Free Member

Started off doing environmental lab work after doing chemistry at university and then was lured by the bright lights of IT.

Was outsourced in the early 2000s to IBM which was possibly the most soul destroying corporate bullshit experience of my life. Spent more years than I should trying to ignore the crap and get on with the job before doing what all the good people I worked with did and took redundancy.

Job has changed over the years with stupid golfists running small companies and expecting IT to be something like CSI or Tony Stark stuff off Avengers. Don’t so much problem solve as constantly try to set expectations why computers aren’t quite as good as in the movies 🙂

Working with Oracle Identity Management at the moment, good team of people, some good customers, but I am looking as corporate bullshit is rising – marketing bloke refered to the bouquet of offerings in our portfolio last week 🙁

gallowayboy

Caretaker for the National Trust; tied house on site – Shortest commute possible, woods all around, sustainable lifestyle BUT – NT has moved toward a more profit based model and cut a lot of middle management with the result that a heap of responsibilities and extra admin work has been “delegated”. And living on site means I quite often get dragged in when not working. The infrastructure is crumbling and 37.5 hrs a week remains a dream.

However, when it gets me down I just think back to my first job ever – shelling scallops in a fish factory on piecework rates.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I work for a not-for-profit bike co-op. I’m a mechanic and run the shop that funds our co-op. I love it, I feel very lucky. It’s very hard work sometimes, for not much money and we have loads of meetings (co-ops!) but I think it’s probably the best job in my city. Possibly in any city. 🙂

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Community development – difficult to practice under current governance but yep very happy.

Gunz
    Free Member

Officer in the Royal Navy which at the moment involves sitting in an office in front of a screen all day. After 20 years of being at sea I’m loving the normality of regular hours and going home in the evening (although I’ve had to learn how not to get under my Wife’s feet).

acsevens

Agricultural bank manager – I suppose if you have to be a banker, its probably one of the better types of banker you can be!

Actually really enjoy it most of the time, though it has the usual finance type drawbacks, stress, targets, compliance etc. Dealing with farmers is generally very rewarding though they know how to drive a bargain.

Viewing 23 posts - 401 through 423 (of 423 total)

The topic ‘What do you do for a living and do you enjoy it?’ is closed to new replies.