Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 423 total)
  • What do you do for a living and do you enjoy it?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reliability Engineer here too, in pharma though.

Good job, good place to work, mostly good people, home before 5, and before 3 on a friday.

Quite happy.

uglybassplayer

Civil Engineer for County Council and no.

Marge
    Free Member

Tyre engineer… (actually manager of a dept now including sales activities so a lot less fun stuff these days)

HansRey

materials scientist/engineer. I gravitate towards surface engineering (e.g. coatings) and metal matrix composites. But it’s the variation that materials science permits that I really enjoy. A mix of physics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, biology, ecology and design all thrown together.

I love it, but at the moment I’m unemployed and looking for a job. I’d love to work in motorsport, aerospace, automotive or sports industries.

chiefgrooveguru

I run a small audio manufacturing business. If it wasn’t for the financial stresses it would an awesome job, as it is it’s good fun but pretty high pressure. Hopefully in future the financials will get better and I’ll get less stressed!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Completion operations engineer – realistically means i do offshore installations and liase with engineering to make sure the stuff they design can be installed offshore.

industries on its arse – id move further upsteam given the choice if it wasnt on its arse.

Sitting tight keeping head down and paying the bills/saving money waiting for the envelope to come or the industry to pick up……

yunki
    Free Member

Half the week I’m a stay at home dad, and the rest of the week I’m a painter (I hesitate to use the term artist)

I love both roles in equal measure but am pretty certain that digging holes is easier than raising kids

TheDTs
    Free Member

Signmaker. Like it. I have taken over from my Mum & Dad who started the business with my Grandfather. I’ve had a 23 year apprenticeship. It’s been great working with my parents and Grandfather, I now have my two nephews coming in for a couple of hours a week doing the tidying up. Which is where I started!

bruneep

wash cars, play snooker and sleep. generally hated by the government

like the job but not the shite that comes with it.

Drac

wash cars, play snooker and sleep. generally hated by the government

😆

spawnofyorkshire

environmental and energy manager for a university
    really enjoy it

originally trained to be outside managing wooodlands, moorlands, national parks etc. now i jockey spreadsheets and budgets

dannyh
    Free Member

Finance team manager (accounting department)of a retailer.

Detest virtually every second.

Would kill for a generous VR offer, but won’t get one.

😥

perchypanther
    Free Member

Quantity Surveyor – Hate it with a passion. When you boil it down to it’s barest essence it’s fundamentally arguing with people about money. I’ve come to realise after 20 odd years that it’s far to adversarial and confrontational to suit my character. If only I could find some other job that paid half as much I’d give it up today.

I wish i’d been a lumberjack , leaping from tree to tree through the forests of British Columbia………

matt_outandabout

I teach teachers to get outside.
    So lots of:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTmaSw]27[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTnfrM]13[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o8NA35]04[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oaQSCn]31[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTmwm5]Outdoor Learning[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTmrdR]08[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oaQSvD]43[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr

(I also do all the IT, Marketing, course writing and much faffage for them as well)

My colleagues spend their time doing things like this – all great fun and really satisfying.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTnFya]Playground Ideas[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o8PUmh]School Playground Design idea[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTntZ1]Grounds for Learning86[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTnu7q]School Playground Design Ideas[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nTnR6C]School Playground Play Ideas[/url] by Learning through Landscapes & Grounds for Learning, on Flickr

breadcrumb

Fabricator and I enjoy my job most of the time.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Freelance Technical Illustrator

Love it when i get a proper job with a proper timescale, sadly that doesn’t happen very often which leads to aspects of the work being compromised which reduces job satisfaction. Ultimately it’s a cushy number.

bruneep

never thought sand play areas were good

doris5000

I run a small audio manufacturing business.

nice. What sort of stuff do you manufacture? 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

jools182 – Member
    Civil engineering technician

I was hoping all the study would have landed me a better paid job

Something more creative would suit me better

Snap!

Except the study bit, I can only blame myself for the lack of that.

Scamper
    Free Member

Renton – yes, looking in from the outside in, many of the experienced are leaving for a variety of reasons which seem to either connected to age/changes in family circumstances or having done their bit constantly for years. The changes in the way promotion is decided doesn’t always seem right to me either, which is probably where your `licker’ comment stems from!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Most of the time I’m a self employed gardener. Love being my own boss and at the stage where I don’t have to look for work and I can say no to stuff. My other job involves working fir Bike Track People, taking a portable pump track/north shore track/jumps see saws etc to schools and public events. It can be exhausting, long days, away from home etc. It doesn’t leave me with much time for riding when I get home but I get to ride a bike at work. It’s very rewarding teaching small kids to ride a bike, showing them how to ride a pumptrack, having races against the faster ones, encouraging kids to race teachers and parents etc. The boss is a good mate and looks after us too which helps a lot. The downside is both jobs are full on at the same time of the year and for various reasons I’ve not taken much time off in the last 2 years. Hopefully next year I’ll be able to take a day off during the week if I’ve worked the weekend. Life’s good though.

cheers_drive

Design, development, and management of retail displays as an independent consultant with my own ltd business.
    It’s not what I thought I’d end up doing when I did a degree in industrial design but it’s varied and fast moving. Since doing my own thing I’ve enjoyed it more but at the end of the day I’m just creating landfill and I’m not sure how much life there is left in the industry as more and more people shop online.

BoardinBob

Work for a big American private health insurer. Job title is “Head of Underwriting: Europe, Africa & South America”

In reality that means it’s my job to keep the company profitable. On balance it’s a great job. Not without its headaches and stresses but I’m paid more than well, have a brilliant work/ life balance and work with some really good people.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Telecoms Tech for the largest independent telecoms network in the country, it’s a huge monolithic monstrosity with a vast gulf between the people in the Electronic Kremlin and the grunts on the ground. Cannot remember the last time I was technically challenged…….oh and I’ve been waiting 18 months for a new laptop so I can possibly do my job properly.

tenfoot

Trained as a QS, but working as an estimator with a large construction firm.

It’s alright, is the best I can say about it. Too late in my life to change career.

An old MD told me once, you can earn lots of money, or you can be happy in your job.

Not both!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

NHS IT geek dealing with x-ray stuff – ct and mr scanners and the like, as well as making sure imaging is available on demand
    The job’s great, the politics less so.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Gigolo. It has it’s ups and downs.

matt_outandabout

@brunnep
    Three answers:
    It doesn’t happen as much as you think.
    Janitor has a broom.
    and

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Prison Officer, detest it (is there a word better/stronger than ‘detest’?) Used to quite enjoy it but I’m wishing my life away now. The only redeeming thing is that I’m on top ££’ss for a screw, new starters are doing exactly the same for about 9K a year less.
    Can’t wait to get out of jail me!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mechanical Engineer, but presently more of an engineering team lead role with a junior mech eng, a software and electronics eng under me.
    Work for a small biotech company designing a prototype handheld dna scanner/POC device to go into production next year (I’m saving lives!)
    Working with academics, scientists and entrepreneurs after years in engineering is weird but an awful lot of fun.

mikey74
    Free Member

Architectural technician. I thought I enjoyed it and then realised I find architects/architecture pompous and pretentious, so now looking for a way out of Construction completely. However, I have no idea how or to what.

daftvader
    Free Member

postman… bloody hate it, tho hopefully tomorrow is my last day… then i will become my own boss making knives and leather goods and being a better person!

Alex

Work mostly in higher education helping people get their data in order, amongst other things. Love HE (did a lot of financial services back in the day) and really enjoy being my own one man consultancy. Feast and Famine sometime but money saved when there’s not much work on, and many bikes to ride 🙂

I worked for many years as a management consultant for one of the big 4. And I got out 2 years too late at least. Really hated it, still taught me stuff I can use now…

cheers_drive

Glich

benman
    Free Member

Design clothing and equipment for a UK outdoor brand. Plus side is interesting work, and the chance to travel to China, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. And we finish at 2pm on a Friday 🙂

We don’t get to spend loads of time in the mountains testing kit like people think we do 🙁

dantsw13

Ex RAF pilot, now a part time Long Haul Airline Pilot.

Love it mostly, plenty of time off, and get to take my bike away round the world.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Architect (or Pompus and Pretentious – thanks Mikey74!) and stay at home dad. Balancing the two is difficult but rewarding. I love Architecture but satisfaction completely depends upon the outlook of the client.

fionap

Architect (or Pompus and Pretentious – thanks Mikey74!) and stay at home dad. Balancing the two is difficult but rewarding. I love Architecture but satisfaction completely depends upon the outlook of the client.

Architect here too – thanks Mikey! I’ve worked in practices where we didn’t need technicians (all staff trained to be able to detail and produce construction information), so there. :p
    Some days are amazing, some are dull. I am lucky enough to work from home.

marcus7
    Free Member

Own an R&D company / manufacturer in semiconductors electronics…. good most of the time (when stuff actually works!).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Programmer / mathematical modeler of sorts. Leaving to become more of a contorl systems engineer. Hopfuly the change will relight my fire. I don’t enjoy it. Never liked or wanted to be desk bound.

Would like to be a frame builder or furniture maker. I do a bit of furniture atm but the quality and design is rubish. Looking into getting some oxy propane to do a bit of brazing and start making some racks. No doubt they will be pretty rubish too!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 423 total)

The topic ‘What do you do for a living and do you enjoy it?’ is closed to new replies.