Home Forums Chat Forum What do people use instead of Picasa for local photo management?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What do people use instead of Picasa for local photo management?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Seems I’m a bit out of date and having just wiped and rebuilt the laptop I went to install Picasa only to find it doesn’t exist anymore and they’ve replaced it with Google Photos. But, as far as I can see, that wants me to upload all my images to the cloud which I don’t want to do. I just want to give them a quick tweak before saving them on my NAS drive.

So, whats free to use and nice and simple like Picasa was? Any recommendations?

Cheers!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Microsoft’s offering probably does that on import though I havn’t checked

Cougar

You can still get hold of Picasa, just not from Google.  It’s on third-party download sites.

Potdog
    Free Member

Yeah, never sure which ones I can trust. Looked at Cnet, but they have removed it.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Try FastStone Image Viewer.

redthunder
    Free Member

39 was the last version.

Freester

I still use Picasa. I’ve got an exe if you want it.

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers @redthunder

footflaps

Shame they’ve discontinued it, I use it all the time for sorting through 10s Gbs of sports photos to work out which ones I want to use.

footflaps

Mac OSX version is available here to download…

https://filehippo.com/mac/download_picasa_for_mac

cp

It’s such a shame they stopped developing Picasa as a desktop application – it was brilliant. Could easily have tied in with Google photos.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Built into Windows 10, the Photos app. Has albums support, edit tools, video editing, presents photos in a timeline. If the photos are in your OneDrive folder they get synced to the cloud also, but you don’t have to do that.

NAS, I just use Window’s built in File History. Turn that on, pick folders to keep history and point the backup destination to the NAS, and job done. With File History enabled, you can bring up properties in any folder or file and see the history, restore or roll back etc.

If you want the NAS to be more than just a backup, i.e. a hosted gallery thing, then there might be apps for it depending what the NAS is. If it’s just a basic networked hard disc, then probably not. Synology NAS though, for example, have a photo app and stuff to sync from PC. Though I just use OneDrive now as albums created in Windows get synced to that and can be easily shared without need to expose my NAS to hackers.

brassneck

Photos on W10 is pretty good. That’s now my ‘home’ library viewer.

I sync iPhone photos (99.99% of my output) to iCloud using iCloud Photo Library  and pull them down to the PC (jjst runs in the background, idly, all the time)

I also sync to Google Photos, as over 4G its pretty quick to keep both up to date with lower quality pics (still plenty good enough for home photos), so might as well have another free copy backed up – photos are about the only thing I’d care about on my PC if it got lost in a fire (well, music too, but I have that sync’d to iCLoud Drive .. and a freebie Apple Music sub has made me wonder whether I need it all anyway).

scuttler

I kept the Picasa exe as others have referenced as it’s unbeatable as way of organising photos. Of course Google killed it cos they want your shit on their devices or their computers so it can be monetized(tm).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/26/google_pixel_2_xl_what_it_means_now/?page=4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What do people use instead of Picasa for local photo management?’ is closed to new replies.