• This topic has 154 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by DougD.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • What dark rum for sipping?
  • lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

+1 on the Wood’s Old Navy, I don’t pick up on the yacht varnish notes though..

Ok it’s not a dark rum but I rarely pass up a chance to big up Angostura, lovley stuff. Not sweet, not sharp, just nice

rickon
    Free Member

See, I got bought some Angostura for Xmas, and wasn’t a fan. Too light, too sweet, too close to whisky for me. I prefer it darker, like the difference between a lager and a porter.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary Rum

Smooth as a very smooth smooth thing that slips down well.

DrP

I’m sure you noted my typo in my post…. I meant Plantation XO 20th birthday…. not 30th!!

RE pink pigeon… it WAS in Aldi for £20 a bottle before Xmas!!

Gutted i missed out on that!

DrP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just remember another I had recently that was rather excellent,

Penny Blue XO

rickon
    Free Member

Mount Gay XO grand reserve on order!

40mpg

I had a bit of a rum incident at the pub on Thursday night. A lesson – don’t just pick the pretty labels.

I pointed to some Old J to the young barlad and he duly poured it neat with ice (how I usually enjoy rum). Thought it was a bit burny going down – quite made my eyes water. I asked the bar manager about it and she promptly took my glass and added two thirds coke. Turns out it’s 75.5% proof. They’re not allowed to serve it neat or in doubles. Poor barlad got a telling off!

Anyway it was bloody lovely with a drop of coke. Although I didn’t have another . And I did have indigestion the next day 😐

40mpg

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^Old J tiki fire,  ends in tears if drunk as a shot

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1You can’t beat Zacapa

23 year old Guatemalan rum, simply lovely.

rickon
    Free Member

Well, got some Mount Gay XO, it’s nice… But not what I was after, pretty bright and light.

My friend bought me some Diplomatic Rerserve… Oh my god, it’s lovely. Tastes like Christmas pudding in a glass. Best warm.

bennn
    Free Member

Ordered some Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva on Sunday, waiting for it to arrive now ..

dmck16
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me… Anyone had Doorly’s XO before? <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Received a bottle as a gift.</span>

Thinking ahead for my evening off tomorrow – should I buy in a mixer, or will this be a good enough sipper?

matt10214
    Free Member

Not really dark but I tried a bottle of Ron Barcelo Imperial over Xmas and was really suprised.

It was a present and i’m more of a Bourbon drinker. I found it nice for sipping neat with no ice.

drlex
    Free Member

Thread necro

I noticed M&S are discontinuing a few of their premium dark rums, and with a few £5 off £35 spend coupons, supplemental groceries and a patient fellow on the checkout, I picked up three decent bottles at a good (I think) reduction.

Shelf edge price, and Amazon price for comparison:

Hechicera £30.40 (£42.99)

Don Papa £25.60 (£32.95)

El Dorado 12 y.o. £28.80 (£34.94)

Set for Autumnal sipping.

onandon
    Free Member

Don papa. Rum from the Philippines.

magic stuff

40mpg

I’m still working my way through the ever changing selection at a local pub, but this one went down well on last Thursdays beach ride

Stoner
    Free Member

40mpg – interesting, was eyeing that in Morrisons yesterday as currently down to £18 for 75cl I think.

My favoured Mount Gay black barrel is on sale at amazon for £22 as well.

donks
    Free Member

Bought a bottle of Havana Club for £16 in mozzas today. It’s not bad . Still prefer its older brother the Havana 7 which is darkish and only £22 quid so it’s my go to supermarket plonk.

A couple of months ago tescos had Appleton estates 12 yr for £25 so a couple of those went to the till… very nice

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

I was going to ask why the OP described Kraken as ‘chavvy’. But I looked it up for myself.

I definitely prefer my spirits with a bit of heritage and classic (or no) marketing!

seadog101

Despite my seafaring connection I’m not much of a rum fan.

However, having travelled through Guyana regularly of late I am somewhat hooked on the locally produced El Dorado, especially the 15 and 21 year old stuff. A very sippable choice.

Even out in Guyana it aint a cheap drink.

40mpg

Which should I go for next week? Might try the Havana no7 perhaps

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If that’s the English Harbour 10, get on it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Looks good, what’s the pub?

tmb467
    Free Member

El Dorado 12, 15 and 21 yr old. All lovely

don Papa is just overloaded with vanilla. Nice taste but not really a rum.

Had one on Saturday night – Ron de Jeremy Hardcore spiced. Tasted like cinammon lozenges and apart from the name was quite a hit!  “Went down well” as my wife said

epicyclo

mikewsmith

It’s not a lottery i would play..

Spot the “not a Queenslander”

(Sipping on a Bundy as I wrote that 🙂 )

frogstomp

russianbob : Barti Ddu. Without doubt the best rum I have tasted. Awesome.

A friend recently got me a Barti Ddu sampler.. it was indeed awesome! I think a full size sampler will definitely be on the cards!

scoob67
    Free Member

Another shout for Dark Matter.

poolman
    Free Member

Floor de caña here, tbh i cannot tell the difference between 5, 7, 10, 12 years so just buy what you can afford.  Love it..lots of ice

coconut
    Free Member

Mount Gay Black Barrel….. ummmm,,,  🙂

Kryton57

My favoured Mount Gay black barrel is on sale at amazon for £22 as well.

And still is, thanks.

duckman

Diplimatico  reserva or plantation get my vote. Appletons  for cheap cooking rum.

mau00149
    Free Member

worth checking out https://www.beachcraftspirits.co.uk which is a relatively new craft rum distillery in Northern Scotland that are just getting themselves established. Had a few sampling sessions and can confirm they are very good.

jam-bo

Turns out it’s 75.5% proof. They’re not allowed to serve it neat or in doubles. Poor barlad got a telling off!

i know it was six months ago but I have to take issue with this. Proof percentages are on a 200% scale, 75.5% proof is 37.75% by volume. No stronger than most spirits and certainly no restriction on selling neat…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

If y’all like Diplomatico Reserva, you’re gonna love Santa Teresa Solera.

Pricey but gorgeous in the extreme.

frogstomp

Kraken (70cl) currently £17.50 on Amazon, plus £5 back on next purchase of selected alcohol.

Kryton57

Thanks. Good reason to try Kraken…

jeffl

Why did no one tell me about Beach Craft Spirits? I was passing through Nairn back in August, could have tried a nip. Default favourite is Mount Gax XO.

duffle
    Free Member

@40mpg bottom left of your picture…..is that Skullduggery? If so first time I’ve seen it outside my house!!! Do like it but it is quite young but nice!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.