Home Forums Bike Forum What 700×32 gravel-lite touring tyre please……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What 700×32 gravel-lite touring tyre please……
  • MoreCashThanDash

A mate and I are doing a 3 day trip across Wales later in the year, hostelling but carrying bike packing luggage.

It is mainly on road, but there’s some short sections on gravel tracks, apparently. Looking for some tyre recommendations in 700×32 flavour, smooth enough for tarmac, enough tread for a bit of (probably damp) not tarmac, good puncture protection without being a heavy, draggy Schwalbe Marathon – unless there’s now a version that gives the benefits of the Marathons I used to have without the downsides.

Thanks

DezB
    Free Member

Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss are serving me well for commuting partially offroad. Took em on a damp gravel ride yesterday too and they were great. Bit slippy on the wetter tracks but they only have light file tread. The Nimbus or Sawtooth have more tread.

fasthaggis

Those clement Xplor run alright for mixed stuff like that or just use a set of road touring tyres (Vittoria Randonneur)and tough it out on the gravel.

Edit. I see Decathlon are doing the 28s Cheap

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

These are holding up exceptionally well for me. No punctures (yet!) And more than fast enough on road, surprisingly capable off road as well. I have the 30s, but they come up pretty phatt!
    https://road.cc/content/review/243187-ritchey-alpine-jb-wcs-stronghold-tyre

Oh, and skinwalls, obviously.

nbt

Personally, Schwalbe marathons are my go-to tyre for that kind of riding. If you don’t want them though…

nedrapier

without being a heavy, draggy Schwalbe Marathon – unless there’s now a version that gives the benefits of the Marathons I used to have without the downsides.

The Marathon Supreme is this tyre, from what I’ve read. I was going to get a set for my bike that does this sort of riding, but I found the Rivendell Jack Brown Blue on Planet X for 60% of the price, so bought them instead. Perfectly happy with them commuting, long off/on road rides.

richardkennerley

Gravel kings? (not SK version)

jimdubleyou

I’ve got some Vittoria Hyper Voyagers for that sort of business, but planet X don’t seem to have them now.

This seems to be the replacement – https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre  but no real-world experience with them.

MoreCashThanDash

Some great options I’d never have thought of – keep them coming!

Anyone know about Panaracer Pasela tyres – seem popular in the touring world?

hardtailonly

I’ve got WTB Exposure 30c as my ‘road’ tyres on my second set of wheels, which have done a little bit of light (and dry) off road … The tread is lightly textured on the shoulders but not sure it gives any great advantage off road. They’re good enough tyres, especially as I got mine, lightly used, for £15 the pair!

If you’re after cheap, I’ve just put a set of these on the commuter …
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCONSCII/continental-sport-contact-ii-700c-wired-tyre

Listed as 32, 37 (they’re not 37, they’re 35, at least the ones PX sent me … get it sorted @brant!) and 42. Roll pretty well and a little bit more capable off road, although will get overwhelmed by anything approaching mud) But at £8/10, you can’t really argue for the kind of use you’re suggesting …

ransos
    Free Member

Anyone know about Panaracer Pasela tyres – seem popular in the touring world?

I did Lejog on a set. No punctures, coped with some fireroads, rolled well. No tread though so wouldn’t cope with mud.

CraigW
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are way lighter and nicer than regular Marathon. Not much tread, but OK on a bit of easy gravel etc. Though I’d go for 35mm if doing much off road stuff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What 700×32 gravel-lite touring tyre please……’ is closed to new replies.