Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont recall any of these arguement threads when the rob lee crowd were trying it with their full support crew and nutritionalists etc

Is it because they are about to finish with a tangible record that is 1 complete ride ?

Or is it just a case of phils face doesnt fit the picture to smash this record ? / has the wrong friends / is a gritty northerner

Harry_the_Spider

Right then… back to the OP.

Phil is comming up to the last check point now and is looking at a time in the region of 28 hours. That should get him in at about noon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Go phil ! Pedal! Only big ring riding left !!!!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Fantastic effort that. Good to see a proper high quality record finally being set on the route.

twinklydave

Right – what “support” has anyone given the person doing the riding? If it’s merely being in a van somewhere in the highlands incase everything goes horribly wrong then it can be considered support in any meaningful sense. <snip>

If the guy in the van are preparing meals, fixing and swapping out bikes, towing the guy along – then it’s a supported ride.

I don’t think Phil would argue about whether it was a supported attempt or not (or care, frankly!). He’s got a mate in a van who meets him every now and again to check he’s OK. The van has water/energy food in it and (horror of horrors) he had some porridge in Fort William that he didn’t make himself.

Thus his ride is meaningless, futile and puny in comparison to anyone who has ridden it using only water they’ve dredged from the ground themselves, eating only the heather and thistles they pass on the way and not making eye contact with anyone they see en route in case they get a mental boost from it 😆

(In all seriousness though, it must be classed as a “supported” attempt and I don’t think anyone worth listening to gives a flying f…)

twinklydave

Or is it just a case of phils face doesnt fit the picture to smash this record ?

I’ll have you know Phil is one of the least ugly JMC riders… 😉 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

I dont dispute that but with competition from you and jase its not a hard accolade to have 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

So, it’s merely propping him up a little in times of serious need rather than supported.

wisepranker
    Free Member

(In all seriousness though, it must be classed as a “supported” attempt and I don’t think anyone worth listening to gives a flying f…)

I agree, to the vast majority of people it’s a fantastic time for a hell of a ride.

Personally I find all this talk of rules set by a bunch of Americans the complete opposite of what mountain biking is about.

paul78
    Free Member

What a ride from Phil … outstanding effort on what is one of the hardest mtb challenges this country can offer.

Self supported or supported still a great ride.

Think people need to relax a little about what 5teve is trying to put across in terms of a level playing field for all utilising mostly rules adopted from the US scene … 5teve himself has an enviable list of completed rides and is just trying to create a database of records.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Terrahawk, along with TwinklyDave, holds the record for the Trans Cambrain Way

You might find that Mark Goldie holds that title with a time of 11 hours 44 minutes.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ragley supported riders Jason Miles and Dave Powell, of Team JMC-IT recently rode the Trans-Cambrian Way across mid-Wales in a record breaking 9 hrs 51 minutes – the previous record was 12 hrs 25 minutes, so they took over 2 and half hours off – good show!

http://www.hotlines-uk.com/News.aspx?NewsID=429

You sure about that^?

rOcKeTdOg

Just checked, WHW is 96 miles one way? And this guy has done it back too?

Holy cow, unsupported or supported in any time let alone less than 30 is amazing, what an achievement!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Well done Phil for finishing the double just half an hour ago and doing most of the ride in the rain and dark.
    28hr’s 59 mins a new record [bows]

http://twitter.yfrog.com/estc9sqij

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t see the harm in distinguishing supported vs. unsupported rides, guys attempting either are hardcore in my eyes.

Harry_the_Spider

Here’s Phil.

Job done.

Bregante

8)

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

On a dry day that would’ve been mighty impressive, but factoring in howling winds and lashing rain on top, he’s shown exceptional grit and skill… very well done 😀

rOcKeTdOg

What was the final time?

organdonor
    Free Member

28hr’s 59 mins

?

rOcKeTdOg

Awesomez

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

You sure about that^?

Yes …The time of 9h 51m was actual riding time not total time. Their total time was 12H 10m.

MrSparkle

Phil, ya big crazy fool ya! Bloody well done!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes …The time of 9h 51m was actual riding time not total time.

That’s a wee bit lame to use actual riding time instead of total time taken to complete a route.

Does the 28hrs 59mins ^ refer to actual riding time or total time?

Harry_the_Spider

Total.

cp

Wow, brilliant. Congrats, that’s awesome!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Now that is digging deep. Well done Mr. Simcock. I’m humbled.

twinklydave

You might find that Mark Goldie holds that title with a time of 11 hours 44 minutes.

He does, out time was a good 20mins longer that that. He holds the record. (We just recorded both the ‘riding’ and ‘elapsed’ time cos that’s how the original record was noted down)

Think people need to relax a little about what 5teve is trying to put across in terms of a level playing field for all utilising mostly rules adopted from the US scene … 5teve himself has an enviable list of completed rides and is just trying to create a database of records.

Steve is a legend and an inspiration, no-one could deny that – I certainly wouldn’t, I think what he’s achieved is ace. I’m just not sure clutching a list of rules in one hand, a list of rider in the other while telling people off for being ‘elitist’ is helpful!

Anyway, quibbling aside and back on track HE SMASHED IT.
    28hrs 59min
    Grinning from ear to ear for the guy 😀

budge

Bloody awesome effort that Phil. 200 miles in those conditions, in that terrain is beyond amazing and out the other side!! Dead chuffed for you. Enjoy the glow that goes with doing something that us mere mortals can only dream about doing.

You smashed it big time!

Neil-F
    Free Member

Well done mate, took me 3 days……. one way! 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Wow! Fab achievement fella. 😀

fastfarrell
    Free Member

Well done Phil, Hats off Sir 🙂

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Inspirational stuff!

13thfloormonk

Bloody hell, I felt entirely justified giving up after twelve hours of that trail in the rain, but 28!! Good job.

matt_outandabout

Superb achievement. That was not good weather yesterday and today – windy all the time and wet today…

terrahawk
    Free Member

That’s a wee bit lame to use actual riding time instead of total time taken to complete a route.

It’s text taken from a sponsor’s marketing news item and in fairness, the previous record was published by IMBA in the same way.
    I think you’re trying to pick holes in something for the sake of it really.
    Well done for digging out a news item from August 2010 though. Brings back some happy memories.

terrahawk
    Free Member

oh, yes. the actual thread topic.
    Just got back home with the Team JMC van, loaded up with all Phil’s bike clobber and whatnot. Knackered but happy to have been part of the weekend’s epic.

Feel very proud of him now. I know how hard he’s trained for this and watching him execute the ride over the last couple of days and make it look easy was a privilege.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Not trying to pick holes in anything for any purpose. Just merely pointing out that if someone was trying to claim a record based on “total moving time” that it could be easily manipulated. But, if that’s the way the record was presented initially then fair enough – just seems a strange way to do it.

Hell using that method I reckon I’d be able to beat the new record WHW X2 set over the weekend. The total ride time including stops would probably be around the 5 years mark though.

Has he any thoughts on how much less time it would be possible for him to do it in given more favourable conditions?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Has he any thoughts on how much less time it would be possible for him to do it in given more favourable conditions?

At the moment he only has thoughts on how much food he’s going to eat over the next few weeks.

vorlich
    Free Member

Doing it on a 29er is cheating 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend’ is closed to new replies.