Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

My mate Phil is having a crack at this at the weekend, following months of training and planning. He’s going for a quick time.
    I’m going up with him to drive the van a bit/take photos/send tweets/ride my bike a bit/shout motivational slogans at him at 2am.

details here (including a Spot Tracker link)
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/teams-and-riders/q/date/2012/09/14/phil-is-doing-the-double

wwaswas

you’re desparate for someone else to buy that bike so you don’t have to 😉

Good luck to him with the ride – a really good challenge.

druidh
    Free Member

Good luck to him. Weather doesn’t look too great though 🙁

I take it this will have to go down as a “supported” ride 🙄

terrahawk
    Free Member

I take it this will have to go down as a “supported” ride

not really. the van is a safety measure. I’ll only be riding my bike to go and hide in a ditch with a camera. He won’t be drafting me or anything like that.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh I know. It’s just that there was a thread on here recently, started by someone claiming to hold the records database, suggesting that even all you are doing was somehow deemed as “support” because the rider had an emergency bale-out/safety option (not a stance I agree with btw).

terrahawk
    Free Member

wow I wish I could be awesome enough to get into the hallowed records database 😉

druidh
    Free Member

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 Good Phil!

Re. ‘supported’ it’s got to be people riding with you and support van supplying food/drink, shirley?

paul78
    Free Member

Good luck Phil … this is a tough challenge rode it in one direction on way to east coast and was happy I didn’t have to make the turn at Fort William and ride back.

I think the rules people are having a go at weren’t made by Steve but adopted from the US guys … in those regards it would be considered ‘supported’ argument being your approach differs to one with slightly less regard for personal safety if you know you have a lift close by… anyway doesn’t detract from the enormous task ahead.

shaggy

The Spot link on the On-one site doesn’t work for me. The correct one is here.

terrahawk
    Free Member

cheers Shaggy.

terrahawk
    Free Member

On-One site now updated with the correct Spot URL.

surfer
    Free Member

Daisy Duke is doing it this weekend also. Starting at 7am, unsupported

Hope he doesnt mind me mentioning it on here 8)

Good luck!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Daisy Duke is doing it this weekend also

the double?

surfer
    Free Member

Yep

terrahawk
    Free Member

cooool

surfer
    Free Member

He is my hero!!! swoon…..

Harry_the_Spider
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Ben from our club (could be daisy duke on here) is doing the double this weekend aswell-after doing one way a couple of weeks ago!
    Seems all the rage :0)

matt_outandabout

Spot tracker is not updating…?

Windy day here, cloud lowering, best of luck to them both..

matt_outandabout

My bad, tracker is working…

Harry_the_Spider

Phil is nearly off the nasty bit by Loch Lomond and is ahead of schedule.

Terrahawk is offering support by being sat in a pub miles away eating tatties and mince.

RustySpanner

Good luck everyone.

I’ll be offering support by sniffling manfully into a hanky, checking the feed and feeling sorry for myself.

Harry_the_Spider

Heading into Fort Bill soon. Quick McPoo with Lies in Maccy D’s (yeah, ‘course I’ll buy something) then turn around and head for home.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

goo on lads

Harry_the_Spider

Couple of miles from half way. No idea what the conditions are like or how long until the turn.

Previous record was 41 hours (I could be wrong, I’d had a drink when this was explained). He has been going for just over 11.

Target is 26 hours.

Terrahawk has seen him a couple of times and got some photos. Hopefully he can post a few on here once he has finished his own 10 hour training ride. They are not doing this together, Jason is just within an hour or so with the van should it all go “Kates Up”.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I hope he does it, because that route needs a proper high standard record set on it.

Harry_the_Spider

Through Fort William in about 12h 30m.

matt_outandabout

By ‘eck lad.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Doing an awesome job in some horrendous conditions… just seen him passing and flashed my lights in salute!!

aracer
    Free Member

Previous record was 41 hours (I could be wrong, I’d had a drink when this was explained).

Has been done in 38
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/west-highland-way-double-1

Bregante

Seriously impressive

Harry_the_Spider

Back at Loch Lomond in 22 and a bit hours.

Weather – Rubbish
    Phil – Knackered but still going strong

BTW Phil won Strathpuffer solo this year, so he knows what he is doing. Impressive stuff.

birney29
    Free Member

If he is at Loch Lomond already, he must be on course to smash the record.

Harry_the_Spider

Whilst Phil suffers Jason is tweeting pictures of his own epic task. http://twitter.yfrog.com/mm9s9vmj

Harry_the_Spider

Text update from Phil to Jason. He is out of the Loch Lomond bounder field. Back of the ride broken. One big climb left.

Jason is about to tackle his second breakfast.

5teve
    Free Member

wow I wish I could be awesome enough to get into the hallowed records database

Why don’t you gents just step up and give self-supported riding a go instead of just being elitist and belittling about it. Put a few times down on here:
    http://www.bikepacking.net/ultra-records/

You don’t own these big (by UK standards) rides, and are far from the only ones out there riding them.

Harry_the_Spider

Eh?

Terrahawk, along with TwinklyDave, holds the record for the Trans Cambrain Way and The Way of The Roses.

http://imba.org.uk/where-to-ride/trans-cambrian-way/

http://wayoftheroses.info/news/story/ragley_riders_break_the_way_of_the_roses_record

twinklydave

Why don’t you gents just step up and give self-supported riding a go instead of just being elitist and belittling about it.

OR we could all just stop being finicky about giving ‘riding a bike for a long period of time’ so many rules, regulations and excuses to behave in a ‘elitist’ way.

Jeez, it reminds of of the whole ‘solo vs “super” solo’ 24hr racing silliness that nearly started a while back.

You don’t own these big (by UK standards) rides

Eh?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Right – what “support” has anyone given the person doing the riding? If it’s merely being in a van somewhere in the highlands incase everything goes horribly wrong then it can be considered support in any meaningful sense. For many stretches of the WHW there is no road access and no mobile phone signal and the bits where there is both are so bloody easy to ride that nobody will ever have a problem on them.

If the guy in the van are preparing meals, fixing and swapping out bikes, towing the guy along – then it’s a supported ride. Anything else is just nonsense.

Did the stupid interpretation of unsupported come from across the pond per chance? If so that might explain the pure knuckleheadedness of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend’ is closed to new replies.