Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend
  • druidh
    Free Member

Obviously!

Fewer rotations of the wheel and all that.

bigjim

Hell using that method I reckon I’d be able to beat the new record WHW X2 set over the weekend.

😆 a couple of flat out hours a day would do the job

glupton1976
    Free Member

bigjim – i’m thinking 50m/day with flying start.

aracer
    Free Member

Congratulations to Phil – I shall pass on the news to previous record holders!

rOcKeTdOg

Just got back home with the Team JMC van, loaded up with all Phil’s bike clobber and whatnot. Knackered but happy to have been part of the weekend’s epic.

Van? sounds like your journey home was fully supported pfft! 😉

mountainposture

Stunning, simply stunning. Well done. To Phil and his ‘supporters’

LoCo
    Free Member

Awesome, nice work Phil and crew 😀

theblackmount
    Free Member

Superb effort – esp given conditions.

garytompsett
    Free Member

Fantastic! Really well done Phil Simcock. It brings the whole sub 24hr potentials back into play for discussion (and despite what others might like to think or feel – for me it’s a really exciting part and love of the ongoing MTB story for the UK (1985-2012 onwards) – it’s a brilliant ride and a brilliant challenge that pushes the whole eqpt+person mix to the max). Supported attempts on this route are not particularly faster, as proven by Rob Lee and Rich Rothwell, who despite being great riders, bailed on the return legs and that will have been heart-wrenching, (I’m not sure if Shaggy’s (unsupported?) ride was intending to turn round at Fort Bill). I think it’s because; 1) time is lost with every meet-up with a support team (bike, mechs, apparel, food, etc) and 2) that the comfort/bail-out blanket is near, and lastly 3) you can become reliant on the support crew to the extent that when something untoward happens, it’s a cue to bail rather than tough-it-out – e.g. that at the time you feel that it would be unsafe to continue, which is a fair call, but one that you have less option to adopt if you are unsupported. What Phil (+ bike choice) has achieved here is astronomically brilliant, especially as the conditions were far from favourable, and with less daylight hours. I got the news of the attempt whilst working on http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com which coincidentally uses the WHW between Glen Nevis and Lairig Mor ruin, and had several hundred participants (run/trek) over the two daylight afternoons on this same weekend just gone. Now that would of been a mental headline….. ‘WHW Double dreams shattered by the trail blockage caused by 1,000 Coast To Coast runners on the trail – an event created by the previous WHW Double record holder!’ WRT the exclamations on level of support, I’ll save that for another posting later – perhaps further down this thread. In truth, it’s an uber-niche argument that I don’t care for. Anyone completing this kind of ride does so because they love enduarnce MTBing, and whether they have mates or sponsors in tow, so what. Just enjoy it, and then sit back and revel in what you’ve all achieved. Personally, I find it empowering, and I get a vicarious thrill off reading about it all, that pushes me on to discover new challenges too. Step up Mike Hall in 2013?
    Gary T
    p.s.I don’t know who Daisy Duke is – Kate Potter? – a brave solo attempt and well done to her too.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

As Brant just said on Twitter..I also did the WHW once, one way, over 3 days. But there and back in one go? In that time? In those conditions?

Like…WOW.

A stunning achievement.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Daisy Duke is a bloke called Ben.

Harry_the_Spider

Daisy Duke is a bloke called Ben.

Really? I’ve almost defecated with disappointment.

mr_burns
    Free Member

3) you can become reliant on the support crew to the extent that when something untoward happens, it’s a cue to bail rather than tough-it-out – e.g. that at the time you feel that it would be unsafe to continue, which is a fair call, but one that you have less option to adopt if you are unsupported.

Mark Beaumont said this exact thing about when he rode through Australia with a 60mph headwind for days in the desert. He said the parts where he really wanted to just pack up and go home were the bits that he couldn’t, because to turn back to the next safest place was just as bad as carrying on.

Superhuman effort, very well done. I would have got back in bed with that weather.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Monsterous ride, much being proud of oneself to follow I hope.

All the more impressive for being able to pick up the bike to above head height at the finish line instead of crumpling in a broken heap!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Here’s my blog update…
    http://40psi.wordpress.com/

Harry_the_Spider

Wind assisted, so it doesn’t count.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nmtstL9sm0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

😐

garytompsett
    Free Member

Ah yes: The supportive porridge pan at 0.11 ;-). My word, I’ll have to share a picture of the rucksacks that Nicola and I were carrying! Any more vids?

garytompsett
    Free Member

Jase, I’ll let Nicola know that she still has the record for this ‘hairy chested’ challenge 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

that pan was used as a makeshift cowbell at 3am in the middle of Glen Coe 😉

Phil’s planning to edit all my vids down into something cool. I just thought that the fart video was worth sharing early..!

Drac

Excellent stuff, well done.

twinklydave

Seeing as “If it’s not on Strava, it didn’t happen” here it is:

on Strava

🙂

garytompsett
    Free Member

Great data and stunning to see the whole physical ordeal expressed as a cold ‘double’ red line. Mere mortals might think it’s an error in system! Helpful for other aspirants as they can see the van-support points slightly off-route from this trace – this shows some really good prep was made. What will really bring the sub24hr debate alive is if the Conic + Balmaha roadside deviations were removed from the challenge as the Conic hill trails are in a worst state than ever, and the roadside deviations are annoying for walkers when it’s busy. Zapping up the road from Drymen/forest will make sub24hr possible. Trouble is, this then belittles Phil’s incredible achievement. My view: Keep it as it is, and let people aspire to any form/time of completions on the ‘walkers/multi-use’ WHW. If in future years, if the WHW managers create a MTB/walker/lambing conflict free version then the 24hr double change can be considered then, and actually, as record holder, perhaps Phil influences this future?

druidh
    Free Member

🙂

Like you say – you either do the WHW or you don’t and the WHW includes Conic Hill and all of those annoying little detours!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Notwithstanding all the TCW chatter (glad we got that one sorted 😉 ), what an incredible effort to do the WHW in that time, in those conditions! Not sure I’d even be brave enough to take it on. Huge congratulations to Phil!

lowey

Seriously impressive. Well done that man!

Shak47

Very impressive, happy to lose a KOM on the route to Phil.
    I noticed on Strava he actually rode the WHW North to South on the 18th of August as well, took another KOM of me then too, thats some recce in itself.
    Chapeau sir!

Harry_the_Spider

He was busy the week before too.

https://twitter.com/Spillippe/status/248101581382373376/photo/1/large

I’m starting to hate him.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Phil’s ride write-up. grab a cuppa, it’s a long un
    http://teamjmc.jmc.it/?p=3320

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Great report – but how do you turn off the constantly changing background picture on the website? I nearly had a seizure reading it!

terrahawk
    Free Member

no you didn’t.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way double – an attempt this weekend’ is closed to new replies.