Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

All the clever people leaving Scotland ?

Have a look around the world Ernie_Lynch, it has been happening for many years. The pace at which it is happening is only going to increase. People have realised that the Scotland they thought the lived in and loved is a figment of their imagination and now that it has been made clear they are off to pastures new.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ernie. I think I’ve made it pretty clear the my point is about presentation and mood.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Which utopia are they going to?

And after they leave they will reduce the likelihood of a future yes vote, or do they just want live somewhere sunnier? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wonder if the impending brain drain from Scotland was considered as a potential outcome of a No vote. It may well just be my extended circle of acquaintances, but there are a lot of highly qualified people making firm plans to leave Scotland forever.

Was that the prospect of going through the whole charade again?

Why leave Scotland, we are all told what a brilliant place it was and so much better than England. In many ways, correct (awful beer aside)

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What makes you think that they are looking for Utopia? Scotland and indeed the UK at present is shit. There are plenty places on the planet that are not as shit.

brooess
    Free Member

One of my favourite cognitive biases:

Hostile media effect – The tendency to see a media report as being biased, owing to one’s own strong partisan views.

Wikipedia

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Like where? You pointy failed to name any. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

NW they may be curious but your answer will be biased based on the receivers bias [ and possibly your].

Whilst I would not get a tin foil hat out just yet it seems unlikely the years and years of research only bore fruit in the last week and they rushed the news out.

YMMV and we will never know for sure

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Having a job that allows lots of travel makes me appreciate that the UK is anything but shit. Bloody marvellous place to live and work (both sides of the border)

The lack of appreciation of how lucky we are really grated during the whole referendum process. We don’t know how lucky we are….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thm just for you to lighten the mood. The SNP leader elect sporting the greatest afro with a fringe, ever! 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

Ernie. I think I’ve made it pretty clear the my point is about presentation and mood.

So now it’s the “mood” as well as the presentation that you don’t like ?

But you’re alright about the article itself, or doesn’t that matter ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

She has had some shocking barnetts in her time hasn’t she!!

Are you sure that’s not David Sole without the head bandage? 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter. I haven’t a Scooby what oil there is and isn’t.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Having a job that allows lots of travel makes me appreciate that the UK is anything but shit. Bloody marvellous place to live and work (both sides of the border)

The lack of appreciation of how lucky we are really grated during the whole referendum process. We don’t know how lucky we are….

That all depends on how you define shit and the perspective with which you view that shit. I can confidently predict that you have benefited from living in the UK. Many people whose efforts you have benefited from have not benefited from living in the UK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Emigrate then? There’s all that lovely green grass just over….

For such a shit place, amazing how many people seem to want to come and live here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Must be time for some team bonding maybe the entire population could go and do some team games in the woods somewhere or maybe just hug a Scott day.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fwiw I don’t think the UK is shit. I do think it can be better.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Indeed THM…. To be born in England is like winning first prize in the lottery of life!

Traffic’s a bit shit though!

Trekster

teamhurtmore – Member

This 😀
    Not travelled a lot but agree with this 😆

wanmankylung
    Free Member

For such a shit place, amazing how many people seem to want to come and live here.

That’s the plan. Professional registration has been obtained, visa has been applied for and job is just about sealed. Melbourne is my destination – have more family there than what I have here. Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job. Living costs will be comparable.

As for the second part of your comment – as I said, it depends how you define shit and where you’re looking at that shit from.

aracer
    Free Member

Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job.

It’s all me, me, me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just be prepared for zero access to land for biking unless it’s a specified place, much higher health care costs, higher alcohol tax and a few other surprises like a climate change denying right of the right government that makes cmd look centrist.
    It’s not all bad but there are some great things about the UK I miss. Posted while having eggs and bacon in a great cafe in Melbourne. It’s also in the middle of a massive property boom where are you planning to buy?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s all me, me, me.

If you can’t beat them join them.

Plus it will give me the perfect opportunity or stepping stone to get to where I want to go with my career.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Just be prepared for zero access to land for biking unless it’s a specified place, much higher health care costs, higher alcohol tax and a few other surprises like a climate change denying right of the right government that makes cmd look centrist.
    It’s not all bad but there are some great things about the UK I miss. Posted while having eggs and bacon in a great cafe in Melbourne. It’s also in the middle of a massive property boom where are you planning to buy?

There is more to life than biking. Plenty other sports that I enjoy doing. Me and my family will be getting private healthcare as a benefit of my job. I don’t drink much alcohol. I like a bit of climate change denying action. I have looked at property prices, compared to Edinburgh there are pretty cheap for what we’d be looking to live in. I’m not seeing many drawbacks to be honest. Besides it’s better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Absolutely, just think your being optimistic on some stuff, private medical rarely pays for everything don’t forget the nice hidden taxes like stamp duty on houses and cars. My living costs are probably comparable but I live in tassie which is significantly cheaper for housing. Just wait for the school fees.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

As I said earlier I have more family in Melbourne than I do in Scotland. They have given me all the information I need. School fees wont be an issue. Probably will rent a house rather than buy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not seeing many drawbacks to be honest.

You’re not broken hearted about leaving Scotland then. And you claim this attitude is typical of many Yes supporters ?

So much for the claims made on here that voting Yes was a selfless act and that selfish people were voting No.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wish you all the best with your move but of course if you wanted really green grass you should have chosen New Zealand. (this is a weak weather joke).

Trekster

wanmankylung – Member

That’s the plan. Professional registration has been obtained, visa has been applied for and job is just about sealed. Melbourne is my destination – have more family there than what I have here. Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job. Living costs will be comparable.

As for the second part of your comment – as I said, it depends how you define shit and where you’re looking at that shit from.

Due a re visit next year to my wife’s ex colleague who emigrated to Canada when their Scot Gov dept went t**s up a few years ago. On the first visit I/we didn’t see anything that was an improvement on life in Scotland 💡

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    So much for the claims made on here that voting Yes was a selfless act and that selfish people were voting No.

I’ve always stated Scotland has its fair share of bastards, and that day 1 was just day 1 in a battle! 😉

Point of an is to me was a smaller fairer battleground!

aracer
    Free Member

Point of an is to me was a smaller fairer battleground!

Well according to the last few posts it seems you’re going to get that with a No vote.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve also always said if people want to leave, good luck. Just creates openings for others, no one is irreplaceable! 😉

piemonster

wanmankylung – Member

If you can’t beat them join them.

I’d rather you didn’t tbh. At least not for a couple of years, right now both Scotland and the rUK needs the momentum created by Yes to drive forward the desire for change as much as us possible. Upping sticks and emigrating will only help yourself. It won’t help the poor, it’ll just help the rich to reinforce their position. I know your angry, but right now running away will not improve the lot of those struggling.

piemonster

Well not know for certain of course, but there was always going to be some movement of people regardless of the result

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-700-000-could-leave-if-yes-1-3490006

duckman

The moon could also have a chewy caramel middle,about as likely as 700,000 people leaving here. But since it posts a negative view of the impact of a yes vote,it is obviously factual and correct as far as this thread is concerned. One good thing about the fact that this will rumble on is that maybe,just maybe,THM won’t move up here.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

since it posts a negative view of the impact of a yes vote

The person who brought up the alleged imminent “brain drain” is a committed Yes supporter.

wanmankylung – Member

I wonder if the impending brain drain from Scotland was considered as a potential outcome of a No vote. It may well just be my extended circle of acquaintances, but there are a lot of highly qualified people making firm plans to leave Scotland forever.

Posting ‘a negative view of the impact of the no vote’ appears to be the motive.

WildHunter2009

For the guys moving to Australia, hopefully you have read about the politics here…. Before you slag the UK system off completely maybe google Palmer United, Jacqui Lambie etc. Its a great country Australia, but a lot of people have very rose tinted spectacles about life down under.

Melbournes great though, enjoy!

piemonster

The moon could also have a chewy caramel middle,about as likely as 700,000 people leaving here. But since it posts a negative view of the impact of a yes vote,it is obviously factual and correct as far as this thread is concerned. One good thing about the fact that this will rumble on is that maybe,just maybe,THM won’t move up here.

Never claimed it to be factually accurate. As with the estimates of 200,000 leaving in the event of a No vote. You don’t really know until your actually in that situation where a move is imminent.

Which is why I used the term “some movement” and “we’ll not know for certain”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And senator Ricky “shit flicking” muir great pair of political heavyweights.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never claimed it to be factually accurate.

While the headline to the article might be misleading the actual article makes it clear that “would think about leaving” was what the survey found.

A imagine most people in most countries have at some stage thought about leaving, most however don’t, obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.