Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

How can it be an original idea if what i’m refering to is what people in the UK have done in the past?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Everyone wants a better fairer society

Sorry but that is utter pish.

George you do know about Australian politics don’t you?! If you don’t like UK politics then you are really going to struggle with aussie politics.

Jim – the difference is I’ll be a lot better off financially and the persecutory policies that the current UK parties pursue will not have the same adverse effect on my quality of life.

One thing that has amazed me about people packing up and shipping out of Scotland is the speed at which they have started going. The first people I know of left permanently today – 7 of them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member
    The first people I know of left permanently today – 7 of them.

shitebags the lot of them! 😆

palookah
    Free Member

One thing that has amazed me about people packing up and shipping out of Scotland is the speed at which they have started going. The first people I know of left permanently today – 7 of them.

Amazing indeed how quickly people discard their political and nationalistic ideals after a narrow defeat.

Just as well you didn’t get your own way.

imnotverygood

George you do know about Australian politics don’t you?! If you don’t like UK politics then you are really going to struggle with aussie politics.

Jim – the difference is I’ll be a lot better off financially

Forgive me if I have misremembered this, but I thought I recalled someone suggesting that No voters were likely to be more materialistic and short-sighted than those voting Yes?

seosamh77
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member
    Jim – the difference is I’ll be a lot better off financially

Forgive me if I have misremembered this, but I thought I recalled someone suggesting that No voters were likely to be more materialistic and short-sighted than those voting Yes?well really that’s you just selectively reading to try and prove your own bias.

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey. Still arguing about Scotland are we? 😯

Scotland will just have to try again I am afraid which will not be easy the next time round.

My prediction is Scotland will only achieve independence with the last monarchy/King (1st President of UK) that is the current Prince (future King/1st President) George of Cambridge.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Forgive me if I have misremembered this, but I thought I recalled someone suggesting that No voters were likely to be more materialistic and short-sighted than those voting Yes?

I thought I lived in a country full of forward thinking individuals who liked the idea of working for the greater good. Turns out I was wrong. It’s amazing the extent to which new information changes your opinion.

palookah
    Free Member

I thought I lived in a country full of forward thinking individuals who liked the idea of working for the greater good. Turns out I was wrong. It’s amazing the extent to which new information changes your opinion.

Truly the flounce to end them all.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member

you just need to move in different circles.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Truly the flounce to end them all.

It’s not a flounce, more of a sashay.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

and they managed to organise that in 7 days, your friends live “light”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

selectively reading to try and prove your own bias.

Dear Kettle, etc.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

They are wise men, they predicted the future reasonably accurately and made contingency plans.

seosamh77
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

mmmm Why I don’t know, but it wiffs of bovine excrement tbh.

athgray
    Free Member

wanmankylung. I thought I lived in a country full of forward thinking individuals who liked the idea of working for the greater good.

wanmankylung the difference is I’ll be a lot better off financially and the persecutory policies that the current UK parties pursue will not have the same adverse effect on my quality of life.

Is that the greater good of your wallet?

That’s the plan. Professional registration has been obtained, visa has been applied for and job is just about sealed. Melbourne is my destination – have more family there than what I have here. Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job. Living costs will be comparable.

As for the second part of your comment – as I said, it depends how you define shit and where you’re looking at that shit from.

Don’t know if you have been to Melbourne, but good luck. It was my favourite city in Australia.
    Don’t assume the grass is always greener. Don’t know how things are now however I was there 10 years ago when John Howard was in charge. The place felt quite conservative. Plenty of tough views on immigration. Casual racism and sexism was quite common. Met plenty of people struggling financially when I worked there. Also saw protests by people not wanting Australia to go to war in Iraq. Did not work though. Basically I felt that people were wrestling with much the same problems as over here.

Perhaps if you think things are s**t here, look into the stolen generations. In the same decade that Margaret Thatcher came to power, the Australian government was still taking aboriginal children from their parents and giving them to white couples.

I am not having a dig at Australia, just saying that governments around the globe have grubby histories and policies. Scotland is no different.

imnotverygood

A friend of mine emigrated to Melbourne. Describes Australia as being like Essex. On a continental scale. (Apologies to those of you living to the NE of London)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The first people I know of left permanently today – 7 of them.

So that is exactly a week after the referendum then. When are you going ?

athgray
    Free Member

Does this forward thinking include a tolerance of a population with wide ranging views on national identity, and a variety of thoughts on the best path for their country?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does this forward thinking include a tolerance of a population with wide ranging views on national identity, and a variety of thoughts on the best path for their country?

Obviously not, which is why he’s going to live in a country where everyone will agree with him.

He’s leaving quite soon I think.

bigjim

Jim – the difference is I’ll be a lot better off financially and the persecutory policies that the current UK parties pursue will not have the same adverse effect on my quality of life.

I’m not convinced based on my experience, very high taxation and many things like staple foods over there are much more expensive than here, though fuel is I think still cheaper than ehre, though it’s been nearly 5 years since I lived there. Melbourne is nice and the most european feeling city. I wouldn’t burn your bridges anyway, it’s an awesome place for an adventure but I was glad to come back here.

aracer
    Free Member

This new information being that people are actually prepared to leave the country just to get a 150% increase in pay (and sod the rest)?

konabunny
    Free Member

I think we should probably stop piling on the guy who looks like he’s having a difficult personal moment and depersonalize it.

A friend of mine emigrated to Melbourne. Describes Australia as being like Essex. On a continental scale. (Apologies to those of you living to the NE of London)

your friend is stupid, then. that’s as stupid as saying all of the UK is like Essex. maybe he lives in the Essex of Melbourne and doesn’t get out his/her social circle much. I don’t know.

piemonster

Perhaps if you think things are s**t here, look into the stolen generations. In the same decade that Margaret Thatcher came to power, the Australian government was still taking aboriginal children from their parents and giving them to white couples.

I seem to remember watching a documentary, within the last year. That documented the continued maltreatment of the Aboriginal population. I’m sure a google for Aboriginal rights Movement Australia would shed som light. Bit hazy in my memory to be honest, so can’t vouch too much on its veracity.

I seem to only be remembering the opinions of aboriginal activists to be fair.

piemonster

Too late to edit, I think it was tied into land rights and the mineral wealth driven boom.

konabunny
    Free Member

oh, it’s a total bit of a mess, make life expectancy in Wilcannia is something like 36. it’s an absurd atrocity.

bencooper
    Free Member

So like the East End of Glasgow, then?

bearGrease

So like the East End of Glasgow, then?

Not really. Male life expectancy in Wilcannia is roughly half of that in the East End of Glasgow. Always good to check the facts.

bencooper
    Free Member

Always good to check the facts.

Well, no, not really, since I wasn’t making a serious point.

bigjim

bencooper has no time for facts, bearGrease!

bencooper
    Free Member

Not when I’m making a comparison for comic effect, no.

aracer
    Free Member

You probably need more smileys on this forum, ben – not everybody realises that you are never serious.

hels
    Free Member

Well I say good luck to you George – rather than sitting about moaning and wailing you are doing something positive about your situation. It is a very brave move to change countries and I hope it is better for you and your family. The weather is certainly better, and the wine.

All this chat reminds me of a quote from former Kiwi PM Rob Muldoon on the brain drain to Australia. Something about every Kiwi who leaves for Australia raising the average IQ of both countries.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m hearing there’s a new name for ‘the 45’ getting touted about, independent scots for independent scotland. or ISIS if you like! 😆

piemonster

The pedant in me wants to correct people on facebook from ‘the 45’ to the ‘the 37.8’ ish.

I’m liking the Banksy cheeky modifications.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m hearing there’s a new name for ‘the 45’ getting touted about, independent scots for independent scotland. or ISIS if you like!

Is “inward investment” a euphemism for air strikes, do you think?

Going by the number of beards at the Green meeting last night there might be something in this.

bencooper
    Free Member

The pedant in me wants to correct people on facebook from ‘the 45’ to the ‘the 37.8’ ish.

We could call ourselves “The Crazy 37.8” in a Kill Bill style.

piemonster

Liked

nemesis
    Free Member

1000!

Or 378 in Scottish currency.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.