Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • molgrips
    Free Member

its about spending most of your life watching a govt you didn’t elect do things you don’t approve of, and then seizing a chance to change things.

So should every region of the UK who didn’t vote Tory split too?

footflaps

We don’t care.

🙂

Freester

Fair play to Salmond for maneuvering this into a win / win situation.

Yes – he will somehow get to keep the currency despite what is said
    No – he get’s everything he wants anyway.

I loathe the guy but hats off to him for achieving his aims.

maccruiskeen

I’m busy trying to work out what to call my consultancy firm which will be milking helping the scots with independence for several decades….hoping for the cash cow that is a yes…

I’ve been thinking the same thing – a fricking bonaza anyone with a suit and nice template for writing reports. Other than that if you’re livelihood in anyway depends on the public sector and the big institutions doing stuff then your ribs are going to be showing for the next few years.

I wrote a feasibility study once, possibly one of the most desperately dull things I’ve ever done for money.

And thats possibly as aspect to the ballot not everyone is thinking about – all the things an independent scotland could be will only come with time and consensus and the voter-faith and dedication to hang in for several parliaments, accept the mistakes and misadventures at will come from trying to change and reconfigure and consolidate all the mechanics of operating a country and keep voting for and pay for a country thats still over the horizon somewhere (and that many may never live to see. Until then, or without that, scotland won’t be ‘independent’ it would only be separate.

its about spending most of your life watching a govt you didn’t elect do things you don’t approve of, and then seizing a chance to change things.

The reality of democracy is between the periods where the gov you didn’t elect does things you don’t approve of are periods of a gov you did elect also doing things you don’t approve of. I can’t summarise all the things I approve of by putting an X in a box every 4 years.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m not really fussed either way, but really don’t understand the sneering petulance from the English.

mudshark
    Free Member

Salmond’s approach to things doesn’t help.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not really fussed either way, but really don’t understand the sneering petulance from the English.

We still don’t care.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

what, all of them?

davieg
    Free Member

Well you can and you should.

You also should have voted for proportional representation a few years ago, albeit it was the weaker Alternative Vote system offered. The Lib Dems should have pushed harder for STV when selling their souls.

You still might not get what you voted for, but you will have a fairer reflection of seats and representation.

And one last thing, Labour need Scottish MP’s, but they do not need them to win in the UK. It is the mythical middle England where power is won or lost.

I do not find that acceptable, but many of the posts on here and in the main referendum thread appear to be very happy with this state of affairs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well you can and you should.

So rather than one country you’d rather have a patchwork of tiny independent states across the island?

You’re an idiot, I’m afraid.

many of the posts on here and in the main referendum thread appear to be very happy with this state of affairs.

I don’t think so – seems pretty unanimous that we need significant change. No voters (and me) just think this isn’t the right change to make.

MrSmith
    Free Member

What? they didn’t win 🙁 can they have a recount or change the way the votes are counted? the poor wee jobbies.

nemesis
    Free Member

I believe I’m a net contributor to the economy, society, culture and basically everything. Can I declare independence?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

exited about what we will do with all our spare cash now we don’t have to support them

You’ve not been paying attention really, have you? back of the class boy!

konabunny
    Free Member

To the point I would even support France fervently over Scotland in all competitions sporting.

and what’s more the team you’re supporting might actually win something!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

That’s just Woppit 😉

And don’t assume that every non-Scot in the UK is English. It’s Union of two kingdoms, a province and a principality.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and Yorkshire.

davieg
    Free Member

You’re an idiot, I’m afraid.

You’re afraid I am an idiot? Cheers, I’m flattered. I actually agreed with your previous post regarding a federal UK, and was implying that in my post. At least a split with the present system anyhow.

You advocate that change is necessary, but if Scotland accepts the status quo, where will this catalyst for change come from? I can’t see greater devolution being a vote winner in the shires when all parties will be fighting tooth and nail against UKIP.

mudshark
    Free Member

Shame the Scots have the balls to go for their own currency

ransos
    Free Member

I am still somewhat surprised that Cameron has made such an effort in the No campaign.

He doesn’t want to go down in history as the man who lost the union. I have to admit, Salmond has played a blinder – securing far more of the vote than the SNP’s share, and at worst he gets a whole load of freebies for Scotland.

The tories have just one MP for the whole country – not something you could say about Wales for example.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s Union of two kingdoms, a province and a principality.

Well, as a Welshman I dispute that 🙂

pedroball
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

Rockape63
    Free Member

It should speak volumes to you that most some Scots accept that its going to be tough, but want to do this anyway

FTFY

project
    Free Member

We’re desperate for this, can’t you see?

so are a lot of people with unreal targets that they know deep down they will never achieve , just by using the 4 words ” let common sence prevail” before they say anything.

konabunny
    Free Member

And don’t assume that every non-Scot in the UK is English. It’s Union of two kingdoms, a province and a principality.

no, it’s not. the union is between England and Scotland. Wales and Ireland (well, the bit that is still held on to) were acquired the old fashioned way.

MrSmith
    Free Member

For all the chirping people should remember how they do this sort of thing in over so called civilised countries.
    Not seen any snipers in Glasgow, Salmond under house arrest or tanks in Northumbria ‘training’

andyl
    Free Member

First win to the No camp: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29263022

No: 19,036
    Yes: 16,350

Wondering if I should stay up all night to watch them come on. I would never do that for a general election but I am more concerned about this one.

Wondering if I should stay up all night

No point.

It’s 1.01 on betfair.

andyl
    Free Member

think i’m the only one here but I have a test running so have to stay up.

Another no, this time from Orkney and a bigger no at 67%.

Going to be a while before the big areas declare though.

andyl
    Free Member

ah no, there is other life around. Funnily enough (your username) my test involves some carbon fibre…

At this time in the morning?. I hope it involves beer as well.

andyl
    Free Member

already had half a bottle of wine. I am tempted by a beer but test just finished and I have to be up at 8 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ach aye the NO

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Waiting for Dave and Alex to say their pieces on Today.

The new thing: “English Votes For English Laws”.

Just to balance out the news until the election.

anagallis_arvensis

Pleased and disappointed at the same time. Hope it triggers something better for all of us.

maccruiskeen

Well it looks like it wasn’t as so 50:50 as it seemed it was going to be. I have to say though, out and about it actually looked and felt like Polling Day yesterday. Here in my sleepy ayrshire village the old folk had put their sunday best on to go and vote. Regardless of what the outcome is and whether you think the result was favourable, I hope people can continue to manage to give this much of a **** in future elections.

enfht
    Free Member

Mel Gibson has just released a statement, “Braveheart was only meant to be a bit of fun and should never have been taken seriously. Sorry ’bout that guys”.

That’s nice of him I think.

CHB

Good result. Hope it brings more powers to the regions, including God’s Own Country 🙂

jimmy

I hope people can continue to manage to give this much of a **** in future elections.

This

legend
    Free Member

America now realises we have oil, “freedom” could be arriving any minute!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.