Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • Way OT: The most hateful piece of software you've used?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Working with a new CMS this week that a company has no doubt just paid a fortune for… and it’s a nightmare. Built for anyone but the users, despite supposedly being bang up to date.

So, go on, what are the worst packages/platforms you’ve used?

MrSmith
    Free Member

windows.

carbon337
    Free Member

HP Openview stuff. NNMi/DDMi/Service Centre

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Windoze.

lodious
    Free Member

Lotus Notes…the worst by far.

Garry_Lager

Endnote used to be really bad (bibliography software popular in the sciences). It seems ok now but it’s basically turd-polishing as their fundamental design for managing references just isn’t that usable.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

SAP

kimbers

+1 for endnote
    hours of my life wasted…

stevomcd
    Free Member

iTunes, no question.

highclimber
    Free Member

Microsoft Word. It never fails to infuriate me.

EDIT: I just saw someone mentioned iTunes – this is on par with Word for being infuriating!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Norton antivirus and itunes, both invasive **** evil bits of software.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Avast anti-virus. Complete resoruce hog and kept killing the computer.

winston_dog
    Free Member

+1 for Lotus Notes
    Also, a very obscure package called HECSALV or POSSE, depending on where you are using it, it is absolute sh!te!

Stu_N

Lotus Notes, definitely. The email program is the least intuitive one I have used since PINE.

LittleTones
    Free Member

+1 SAP – who put together this dross?

derekrides
    Free Member

Novel.

stumpyjon

Word – keeps auto formatting stuff, MS Front page is a bit annoying, MS Project, no idea how that’s supposed to work.

ANything written without serious amounts of user input (which is unfortunately rather a lot of software).

GJP
    Free Member

System Architect – brings out the worst in my proletarian roots and language

emsz
    Free Member

itunes? really?

I’ve a cousin, she’s 8, she manages just fine. 🙄

onewheelgood

+lots SAP. So bad you can’t really believe they were serious. The fact that it is hugely successful and used by most large companies says…what?

Karl33to
    Free Member

iTunes by a country mile

PePPeR

Sounds like a pattern forming!

For me it’s SAP in a work environment and at home it’s itunes and I normally end up having to sort everyones phones out on it!

crikey
    Free Member

Itunes.

Itunes put me off buying anything Apple related, even though daughter and wife have iPods of many different sizes. Hate it with a passion.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ellipse, a maintenance management database/tool, truly clunky shite, not helped by the complete idiots that try and manage the beast that it has become. It has truly become the tail that wags the dog in my industry.

ohh and it struggles to run on windows so how it’s supposed to work on an iPad/phone as an App I don’t know.

nixie

The new cms isn’t Alterian is it? If so i feel your pain!

johnners
    Free Member

Lotus Notes – why does clicking on them make buttons depress, but nothing happen? Honourable mentions to iTunes, MS Project and especially SAP.

richmars

Close between Lotus Notes and itunes.

ourmaninthenorth

+whatever for iTunes.

If it’s really designed for the consumer Market, why make it so f—ing difficult to use. Utterly non-intuitive.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

My work is about to bring in SAP. Never used it. Is it really that bad?

Stoner
    Free Member

Lotus notes
    Siebel
    Excel 2010

fenred
    Free Member

Deffo iTunes…Hideous bit of kit!

MSP

+1 for hp openview nnm. You are just left with the impression you should be able to do so much more with it.

+1 for lostus notes, just awful.

itunes is excelent

glenh
    Free Member

Lotus notes

closely followed by

iTunes*

* with relation to iOS devices. It’s fine apart from that.

edit: oh and iPM

kudos100
    Free Member

itunes. I loath it with a passion. OSX is great, but whoever created itunes should be poked with a pointy stick. In the eye.

peteimpreza

Anything by Microsoft, utter shite.

SAP is fine if implemented well. The problem is most places can’t get around how integrated it is and therefore complicated it is to spec, design and implement.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

e1

An education MIS which is breathtakingly dire. Absolutely not fit-for-purpose; unreliable; unstable; unusable for many of its stated purposes like tracking and reporting; UI designed by chimps; labyrinthine, inflexible folder structure; data-integrity issues galore, horrendous data-duplication….

Oh, I could go on and frequently do.

It has truly become the tail that wags the dog in my industry.

+1

spooky_b329

Anything BT decides to install on their engineers’ laptops. Most stuff is buggy or bogs down the out-of-date laptops, they can’t even sort out simple things like making the cursor tab along boxes in the correct order, so you end up tabbing and then alt-tabbing back to the bits it decides to skip.

Anything that is really rubbish, they develop work-arounds that involve resetting various things and restarting the laptop, as those that created the offending software have moved on to another project.

My new laptop…to open a particular website via a link in a program, you have to open IE first, otherwise the program and IE grind to a crawl, then when you try and save the files contained on the website, you are unable to choose a location to save them. Plus I have to reset IE’s advanced settings twice a day as when I try and sign in to the corporate website, it opens three windows and an error. Apparently its a known issue with no fix…

whimbrel
    Free Member

iTunes

captain-slow
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’m the first to mention MS Access. Biggst pile of shiite ever (and I’m a certified advanced user…)

Oh, and iTunes obviously

stuey
    Free Member

SIMs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Way OT: The most hateful piece of software you've used?’ is closed to new replies.