Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • CountZero

The assumed black/grey Bond NATO as on my watch was actually worn with an Omega by Daniel Craig in 2 of the recent films.

That’s because the grey/black strap was the ‘definitive’ Bond colouring, before the actual colours as shown in the frame above became known, colour definition and clarity just wasn’t good enough to show more than black/grey previous to the remastered BlueRay being released.

neilnevill
    Free Member

AAAAaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!! TEMPTATION! Steinhart have a new beauty. ceramic pepsi vintage gmt in 39mm. Elabore grade movement, 710 euro

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-39-vintage-gmt-premium-blue-red-keramik.html

jeffc

This whole watch game has been getting out of hand recently – kind of spoils the fun to be honest. The nautilus has gone up in value so much so quickly that I hardly feel I can wear it. Likewise my vintage Rolex pieces. I think I’m going to have to shift into other brands to get some fun as the current market obsession for the pieces in my collection has been a bit silly. Looking forward to when the market drops and I can add some more interesting pieces but in the meantime I may try out some of the pieces listed in this thread.

neilnevill
    Free Member

well lucky you! not only have you managed to get some amazing watches at affordable prices,
    you make money on them if you sell, and if you bought any of them from an AD you have got quite a relationship and a chance (unlike the rest of us) of getting more.

somafunk

This whole watch game has been getting out of hand recently – kind of spoils the fun to be honest. The nautilus has gone up in value so much so quickly that I hardly feel I can wear it.

Looks like we have reached peak STW

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Looks like we have reached peak STW

LOL

derek_starship
    Free Member

he nautilus has gone up in value so much so quickly that I hardly feel I can wear it. Likewise my vintage Rolex pieces. I think I’m going to have to shift into other brands to get some fun as the current market obsession for the pieces in my collection has been a bit silly.

Hmmm. Currency cock waving at its worst…

I, on the other hand am more than happy with my cheap and cheerful Casio G-Shock 35th anniversary all metal.

jeffc

Funnily enough, I was just looking at this model today. Quite tempted.

jeffc

Indeed. I wouldn’t get any sympathy for such a post on the watch forums so I thought I’d try STW. I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed here.

jeffc

Hmmm. Currency cock waving at its worst…. Best, no?

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Ignore tried to link a photo. Failed

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

tthew

Nice reissue Seiko diver here. Note – no price means I probs can’t afford one. Tick-tok.

johnners
    Free Member

Nice reissue Seiko diver here. Note – no price means I probs can’t afford one.

$5400 to you sir, if you get in quick. Only 1500 on offer globally.
    $850 dollars for one the same shape and 95% of the look but without the posh polishing and with a lower calibre. Though pricing over here looks a bit stiff at £800.

Seiko US page here.

tthew

Though pricing over here looks a bit stiff at £800.

Have you seen the exchange rate recently? Sounds about right to me!

Blue bezel version of the cheaper one is nice, probably with a different strap. blue

johnners
    Free Member

It’s pretty right enough, 2.6mm thinner than the 300m one too. Still something of a lump for my taste though, and I wear an SKX779 more often than anything else!

CountZero

That Prospex reissue is basically what I’m working towards at the moment, or rather an SKX007 mod with that coin-edged bezel, with ceramic insert with full lume indices, and same style face and hands, but with 3.20 date window, date only, and a stainless Tiger shroud. Ultimately I’ll swap the 7s15 movement for a 6s15 movement, which uses a new material for balance and mainspring, which gives a 70-hour power reserve, and a slight improvement in time accuracy.
    First, though, I’ve got to get hold of an SKX007, for a reasonable price. Keeping an eye on several at the moment, let some go because the price went a tad high.
    Been fun looking through all the variations of face, hands, bezels and inserts that will fit the 007 series watches, and the combinations that can be made up.

johnners
    Free Member

Ultimately I’ll swap the 7s15 movement for a 6s15 movement

7s26 and 6r35, surely? The 6r35’s still quite new though, have you seen the bare movement available because having to cannibalise one of the new Prospex line for parts will make your SKX007 very spendy indeed! A 70 hour reserve would be amazing though, particularly for anyone who likes to swap watches on a regular basis.

Been fun looking through all the variations of face, hands, bezels and inserts that will fit the 007 series watches, and the combinations that can be made up.

I had a look after reading your post, I had no idea there was such a bewildering array of bits out there! Good luck finding a 007 at a reasonable price, though given the mods you’re considering I guess you could settle for a fairly battered non-runner.

kilo

Just collected my new Seiko, very quick delivery and well packaged by the vendor, would recommend

tdog
    Free Member

Has anyone any experience or rate Montine automatics?

johnners
    Free Member

Just collected my new Seiko

I’m more a field/divers watch sort of bloke myself but that looks very classy. What is it, 44mm? Who was the vendor

kilo

40.5mm the vendor was https://www.seiyajapan.com/
    Nice fast despatch and he has a lot of diver watches 😉

Markie
    Free Member

So, after years of hemming and hawing (?), I’m moving myself a step closer to getting a new (to me) watch. That step being selling a couple of watches. Where do you guys sell (or look to buy) watches? eBay and chrono24 are the places I’m thinking of…

CountZero

@johnners – yeah, typing slip, it’s a 6r15. I’ve looked at 007 cases, and even a rather battered one cost a bit, and you then need everything in order to build the complete watch, so I’m prepared to wait a bit and find one that isn’t silly money, and then it’s easier to mod it as an ongoing process.
    If I get lucky with a reasonably priced 007, then I’d get the movement, face and hands and get the whole lot done in one go, then get the Tiger shroud fitted afterwards.
    As you say, there’s a staggering range of bits out there for customising Seiko watches, not limitless, but certainly pretty huge.
    And they’re good, reliable watches as well, not a shabby knock-off.

tdog
    Free Member

I gotta say that I know watches are subjective but do you guys really spend c. £800 on a divers watch look?

They just to me at least scream nasty and pointless unless I guess you have intention of diving.

🧐

CountZero

@tdog – it’s not a ‘look’, as you put it, those watches are designed and made for swimming and diving, and most of the ones discussed are around £250-350.
    People buy them and like them because they’re well built, and, unlike some ultra high-end watches with multiple complications, very clear and easy to read quickly in the dark, a point that has been made multiple times.
    Which is why I like them, and why I really couldn’t give a shit for your opinion.
    For anyone looking for something similar to the Seiko watches, Citizen have just announced a new range of affordable automatic dive watches, just to enrage tdog:

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/07/30/citizen-promaster-automatic-diver-fugu-ny009-watches/

johnners
    Free Member

40.5mm the vendor was https://www.seiyajapan.com/

That’s a great size for a more “classic” style, I blame the angle for my poor guess! Also, sir has a rather slender wrist…

do you guys really spend c. £800 on a divers watch look?

Well, I don’t really have the money for that kind of outlay so I wouldn’t, and if I had £800 knocking about to spend on a watch I’d probably get more pleasure from a couple of £400 pieces rather than a single more expensive one, unless it was something I was particularly taken with. If you really accept that watches are subjective then surely you could stretch to other people not finding the diver’s watch look “nasty and pointless”?

tdog
    Free Member

It was also a genuine question so excuse me whilst your attack on me goes un noticed like your wig blowing out of view just that of tumbleweed.

tdog
    Free Member

I get the fact that some divers watches are well built even at same “time” look real cheap tacky pos to look at.

But yeah each to their own-that’s for sure!

tthew

Oh, and this thread, was all so nice and friendly. 😞

Kryton57

Well let’s keep it that way. Tdog has form across the forum, so don’t feed it.

The SNZF017 I bought and posted a page or so back was £157. Regardless of what others think I like it, and it can’t be all bad because I’ve had an average of one a week comments as to how good looking it is.  We all have our own opinion and taste.

Fudd
    Free Member

I’ve looked at 007 cases, and even a rather battered one cost a bit, and you then need everything in order to build the complete watch, so I’m prepared to wait a bit and find one that isn’t silly money, and then it’s easier to mod it as an ongoing process.
    If I get lucky with a reasonably priced 007, then I’d get the movement, face and hands and get the whole lot done in one go, then get the Tiger shroud fitted afterwards.
    As you say, there’s a staggering range of bits out there for customising Seiko watches, not limitless, but certainly pretty huge.
    And they’re good, reliable watches as well, not a shabby knock-off.

Sounds expensive. £100-£150 for a s/h SKX, a new movement and crown/stem to suit, different dial, hands and insert, sapphire glass and then £150 getting the case machined and you’re well into genuine Tuna money. The TST mod is great if you want an auto movement in a 300m style Tuna case which was why I bought a s/h TST’d 6309 case a few years ago, but even though mine was built with as many genuine parts as possible (SBBN007 dial, SKX hands and insert) I couldn’t get past it trying to be something it wasn’t so soon sold it at what would have been a 50% loss had I paid retail and bought the real thing in the shape of an SBBN015.

If you’re not bothered about the cost and just want to build something unique then by all means go for it as the options are virtually limitless. I have an SKX that owes me over £350 so I’m not averse to a Seiko mod but machining the case and fitting a Tuna style shroud is a mod too far imho.

tdog
    Free Member

We all have our own opinion and taste

Exactly! Wow you cottoned on quickly to my query over divers watches.

I did look back at countzeros watch and although liked the face colour just a huge grin came all over me.

CountZero

If you’re not bothered about the cost and just want to build something unique then by all means go for it as the options are virtually limitless. I have an SKX that owes me over £350 so I’m not averse to a Seiko mod but machining the case and fitting a Tuna style shroud is a mod too far imho.

Well, that’s exactly the point, to arrive at something that has features that a genuine Tuna wouldn’t have, and probably for less outlay, but meanwhile I can wear the watch as it develops.

I did look back at countzeros watch and although liked the face colour just a huge grin came all over me.

Yeah? Which one would that be, ‘cos I think I’ve posted up at least three, and IIRC, very early on, I posted a photo with five or six different watches of mine, so please, feel free to enlighten us, as only two are actual dive watches…

neilnevill
    Free Member

i tried on a blue Pelagos yesterday and ooooo, that is nice. I like it much more thn the blue new SMP i tried on last week, i was really disappointed in that.

tthew

@CountZero, don’t acknowledge tdog, it’ll just derail the thread onto bickering.

Wally

Hamilton 6B – what do you think?
    In a shop window near me.1967.

tthew

Nice, someone put some photos of a similar one on page 2 or 3 which was their dad’s old service watch. Simple, clear design. How much are they asking?

Wally

2K, which is why it’s staying in window. Lovely though.

johnners
    Free Member

Hamilton 6B – what do you think?

They’re a classic, fairly simple dial and nice proportions if bit small for a pilot’s watch by current standards. All in all though not really anything particularly special. I’ve seen some (IMO) ridiculous money being asked for them, was there a price on it?

Edit – 2k? I rest my case! I must say they look very easy to fake…

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.