Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 8,704 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Yay, 1000.

Anyway, for £2k my personal opinion is the modern Hamilton’s look better if you’re having one to wear, not to collect.

w00dster

Agree with Kryton, if its a collectable or if you are ex RAF, then maybe its a decent buy. But personally for day to day watches, I’d say there is better out there for the money.
    But as you know, watches are very personal. Some people look at one of my watches and think its butt ugly, but sometimes a watch resonates with you and you have to have it!

johnners
    Free Member

I like the Khaki but you’d have to be wanting Hamilton on the dial – there really are any number of watch makers that do that “Field” look equally well for a fraction of the price.

medlow
    Free Member

I love Seiko divers. The iconic look and the they are sensible money.
    You also have lots to chose from with the limited runs and different versions/types.

Stick a nato on and they look really nice with an easy change when my mood changes (I swap different Nato’s each week)

These are my current 2 favs that I alternate between. A modified SKX007 and an uber cool limited SRPC49. The SRPC currently has a bright orange nato on and it looks the nuts.!

Wally

Seiko Diver does get most wear, but this week out comes.
    [url=https://postimages.org/]image hosting service[/url]
    Worn 24/7 Small 38.5mm Titanium. ladies wrists.

neilnevill
    Free Member

That’s nice AT wally. I do like an Omega.

I re-invigorated my rolex experiment in the last few weeks. visited 3 ADs asking about sub dates. To flat ‘no you can’t go on the list….unless you sped a lot of money on something else first.’ and one very begrudging take my details but probably binned the card as i walked out the door. a straight sub date…the LN, nothing more. wibble.

oh and I tried these

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Bought my birthday present to myself today, Fortis Flieger Pilot Chronograph.

proper pictures when it arrives.

tthew

I really fancy the white faced, orange hands version of that Omega. Maybe one day when the second hand prices have moderated a bit.

CountZero

Well, I’ve just pushed the button on an ex-shop display SKX007 from Australia for £160.
    Which ties in nicely with the £160 I was given for being the taxi service for my g/f’s sister, picking her and her daughter up from Heathrow and taking them down to Salisbury, then doing the reverse in a couple of weeks. It’ll only cost me about £50 in fuel, so I thought it’ll be my birthday pressy to myself, as I was 65 in July.
    I’ve missed three or four auctions when they’ve gone over £170, this was a buy it now, so I couldn’t resist it!
    I’ll start collecting the bits I need to customise it over time (!), the most important bit will be the upgrade hackable 6r15 movement, but there’s no rush, and I can wear it as soon as it arrives.
    I will swap the rubber strap for a heavyweight ZULU strap, though, an orange one, I think. 😁

CountZero

This is the one I’ve just bought:

phil5556

Damn this thread, I thought it was about time I bought myself a reasonable watch and I’m now ploughing slowly through the previous pages. Turns out it’s a minefield! Fancy an automatic of some description and under £250.

Found a couple of Seikos that I quite like and Tissot so far. Actually I’ve found loads, but it’s the Seikos I keep going back to. Need to go and actually look at some in the flesh I think 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

That’s not a bad price for a SKX. You could probably flog the bits you are removing and fund some of the parts needed for your mods.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As an aside, I needed an new leather strap for my moonphase Speedmaster, which is something like £300 for the omega alligator strap.

I took a punt on this ebay strap for £14.50 to see what it was like and it is really decent, not sure you would really tell the difference from looking at the outside, it is nicely finished and has the bulk of the original strap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Croco-Leather-Strap-Band-fit-OMEGA-watches-19mm-20mm-22mm-Deployment-Clasp/273827399698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=573547352501&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It has Omega printed on the inside but also ‘Genuine Leather’ so is not an attempt to closely copy the original, unlike this one which I might try next :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323878481543?ViewItem=&item=323878481543

I’ll probably have to put the original back on when it goes in for a service though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Fancy an automatic of some description and under £250.

only a little over your budget is the new timefactors precista :

https://www.timefactors.com/prs45.htm

£265 or £310 for a bracelet.

johnners
    Free Member

only a little over your budget is the new timefactors precista

A quick Google suggests that’s a mecaquartz movement so not really an “automatic of some description”.

pryally
    Free Member

I’ve got a Seiko Sumo SBDc001/SBDc031 to move on if anybody is interested? I seem to have purchased two further watches….

athgray
    Free Member

Fancy an automatic of some description and under £250.

The Spinnaker Bradner looks like a nice watch in that budget. Gets a good review from Jody at ‘Just One More Watch’ on YouTube.

I think you can also get a 20% discount code from JOMW

medlow
    Free Member

Big up the SKX massif!
    Love mine… Got a few, orginals and modified. Great watches.
    Stick a nato strap on (22mm) and they look even better in my opinion and as nato’s are quite cheap it makes the watch fresh each week when you alternate straps..

Drac

I was helping my mother move house today when I spotted this. She’d bought it in a charity shop for £1.

johnners
    Free Member

I was helping my mother move house today when I spotted this. She’d bought it in a charity shop for £1.

I’ll give her £2 for it. She’ll be doubling her money, can’t say fairer than that.

bearnecessities

If that’s genuine it’s a belting charity shop purchase 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m just going to leave this link to a new range of Seiko 5s here:

Shiny precious thingses…

CountZero

This Citizen is about a third the price of that Hamilton, and is probably of similar quality…

That charity shop find – 😳
    A Breitling with those complications? That’s a very nice find!

Drac

No idea if it’s genuine or not yet but it seemed to have all the right markings.

TheFlyingOx

Was given this rather unexpectedly for my 40th:

Hublot Automatic

Trying to figure out if it’s genuine or not. Chronograph works as I think it should, and the guy who gave it me is a VERY high roller in the world of shipping, so it’s possible. He just said “I haven’t got you anything for your birthday yet. Here, have this” and took it off his wrist. Any ideas how to check?

Wally

Utube video of legit? one very similar but different.
    [ video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkom8VdCJSg[/video ]

johnners
    Free Member

Any ideas how to check?

Whip the back off* and have a look at the movement. If there’s a battery in there it’s a fake…

*Apparently it should have a skeleton back so you shouldn’t have to whip the back off. Still shouldn’t have a battery though!

Jomashop have it here for a bargain 28% off, making it a mere $11,520

Kryton57

Shiny precious thingses…

Hmm, too uniform across the range IMHO.  But, thats made my SNZF017 a classic if it wasn’t already – I’d better hang on to it. 🙂

tthew

What’s the difference in the Seiko 5 models and the Prospex divers? Seems that the form and function overlap completely, whereas the other ranges fall neatly into different categories such as dress watches, high quality, the solar range….

johnners
    Free Member

What’s the difference in the Seiko 5 models and the Prospex divers?

The 5 is a Seiko’s budget mechanical range, almost all have 7s26/7s36 movements so not hacking or hand windable, but more importantly where they’re dive watch “inspired” they’re typically only WR to 100m at best. There are dozens of 5s and they come in all sorts not just dive styles, there’s dress, field, pilot, you name it.
    Prospex is sort of Seiko’s mid-range, with a significant quality step up. Better finishing, better movements, better WR (often actually dive certified), and often with sapphire instead of Hardlex. Again though, Prospex covers all styles, not just dive.

tthew

Thanks johnners, nice summary.

Wally

The Flying OX differences I can spot are
    1) Your left 2nd dial is 20/40/60 and it should be 10/20/30.
    2) You have an extra Geneve and it should not below the Hublot.
    3) Your date dial is white and the original is black.
    4) Yours has swiss made not aligned perfectly central either side of 6 with too large a font and the original places the swiss and made perfectly central either side.
    5) That crystal edge is too crude.
    6) Cannot comment on the graphite weave pattern – your pic shows none and it should be there.

Hope this helps. ( I know a Wally who spent 1.2K on a fake (well re-dialed) watch in a bricks and mortar shop – fortunately he got money back after a nervous bank holiday weekend waiting for shop to open)

Lots of them about

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Had never opened this thread before.
    I thought I was being flashy spending £100 on a watch once!

plyphon
    Free Member

The Breitling is also fake i’m afraid – biggest tell is the lack of the 2nd pusher to start/stop the chronograph. It should have 2 pushers.

Drac

Cheers Plyphon there is actually a gap there where it looks like the pusher has fallen off, of course doesn’t mean it’s genuine.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Kryton57

Subscriber

Shiny precious thingses…

Hmm, too uniform across the range IMHO. But, thats made my SNZF017 a classic if it wasn’t already – I’d better hang on to it. 🙂

As a range I agree but there are a few nice ones in there – very tempted by the black and red.

Carbis

I’ve enjoyed following this thread and seeing the variety of watches that have come up. I’ve been fortunate over the years to have been given a Vintage Tudor Oyster (dated 1963) and Omega Seamaster Automatic (dated 1995), while I have a Quartz TAG and Garmin Forerunner for daily use. I have my eye on a couple of other watches for daily wear but I doubt I could convince my wife I need another watch….

Anyway my main reason for posting is given the expertise / knowledge on this thread, the Omega needs some TLC, so does anyone have any recommendations on where to send it other than back to Omega for a service / repair? It needs a new main spring and I’d like a new bezel as this is marked any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

johnners
    Free Member

Hmm, too uniform across the range IMHO

I might be wrong but it looks like it’s just the one case style, they’re just mixing up the type of strap and dial/bezel colours, with a couple of ion-plate looking finishes chucked in. Very Casio of them! I do like the update of the “5” logo, and it looks like they’re all 4r36 so hacking and hand winding.

Wally

carbis, Swiss Time Services in Essex.
    Swiss Time Services

I walked in off the street and it’s a professional set up in a small retail park. Not cheap, but they will do a proper job and if you are clear (or can pop in) you can keep costs down and even get the main guy to open it up and give you a ball park quote. Really nice people iMO. I understand this is where all the shops send their watches to from far and wide. So you are cutting out their cut.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 8,704 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.