Viewing 40 posts - 8,921 through 8,960 (of 8,960 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • pisco

That’s a good shout thanks @kilo

Kryton57

That Magrette is an awesome thing.  Not common over here either I suspect.

After all that talk I’ve gone from SMP to Samurai today.  Watches are funny things, I was ready to sell it in lieu for the turtle two weeks ago, but this morning I’m loving it.   I’m so guilty of fretting over “which watch” and the ones I’m leaving in the box “oh but I paid for an Omega therefore I should wear it” but I watched this and am now training myself to enjoy the watch du jour and get over myself;

Handy tips   🙂

kilo

Yes, they are not that common. I have the tenth anniversary version they mention in the blurb and it’s a nice watch. It has a glass back with fancy engraving which the black version moved away from. The black one also has quite a discreet date aperture which I quite like.

They are quite a big watch but not particularly heavy on the wrist .

Below it’s on a sailcloth strap (which I didn’t really get one with), usually it’s on an orange zulu nowadays.

IMG_7073

Kryton57

After seeing the same in YouTube I ordered a grey ribbed Nato for the Turtle.

IMG_5768

I’ve got to say, never is a strap/colour/design so suited to a watch.  It’s screams “tool”.  This slim turtle is a light watch so it works well and differentiates from my other mo’ glamorous divers nicely.

tall_martin

Can I ask, how many folk on here have dived with a watch on as opposed to a dive computer?

I did a dive course, did a 30m dive and got very very silly. It took me 5 min to write my name backward, mostly due to laughing so much.

The idea of diving past 20m behaving like I’m drunk and doing something stupid makes me wonder how many people actually get any depth under the water.

Do non professional hoby divers actually get to 100m? 200m? 300m?

Do professional divers?

Or his it like having a 150moh sports car that never goes on track in the UK. Nice, but risky/ impossible to use to full potential?

Currently I’m wearing a gshock rated to 200m. It might get into a swimming pool, It might get dived with on holiday once or twice in it’s (my ) life time.

Harry_the_Spider

The one I’m currently wearing is apparently good for 20 bar / 200m.

I may wear it in the rain, but that is about it.

Looks very rugged and “Grrr” though.

Harry_the_Spider

It’s screams “tool”.

I get that too.

Kryton57

I took an Animal watch to 6m in 2007 🙂

There was a YouTube video about this recently, on the basis “just have a think about how deep 50m underwater is” when your buying a watch.  Of course you need to remember it isn’t about depth, it’s about pressure on the watches gaskets/compressors, hence rather than depth you’ll see the rating as Bar.     Added to that, the warmth of the water / environment can expand the gaskets and reduce the resistance to pressure, hence not recommended to be wearing a watch below 20bar in a hot shower and 50bar in Steam room / hot pool.    You can hit .5 bar or 50m pretty quickly spraying a watch crown with a non pressurised garden hose for example….

Kryton57

I get that too.

😂😟

tall_martin

No steam rooms for me

No showers with watches on for me.

I don’t spray my watch with hoses.

Should the 200m water resistance be shower, hoses and steam rooms 😃

IHN

You can hit .5 bar or 50m pretty quickly spraying a watch crown with a non pressurised garden hose for example….

Thanks to our water coming out of a shared borehole and having to be pumped uphill to a neighbour, our water pressure is 5Bar…

pisco

Of course my >300m stipulation is not based on logic, but such is the way of the watch fan.

I do dive with a watch as well as a computer, just because I can. I’ve never actually been deeper than 40m.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve dived with an Orient Ray mk1, it was absolutely fine.

I’ll probably be diving with an Elliot Brown Canford later in the year, I expect that’ll also be fine despite not having screw-down crowns.

Fudd
    Free Member

Kryton57Full Member
    I took an Animal watch to 6m in 2007 🙂

There was a YouTube video about this recently, on the basis “just have a think about how deep 50m underwater is” when your buying a watch.  Of course you need to remember it isn’t about depth, it’s about pressure on the watches gaskets/compressors, hence rather than depth you’ll see the rating as Bar.     Added to that, the warmth of the water / environment can expand the gaskets and reduce the resistance to pressure, hence not recommended to be wearing a watch below 20bar in a hot shower and 50bar in Steam room / hot pool.    You can hit .5 bar or 50m pretty quickly spraying a watch crown with a non pressurised garden hose for example….

0.5 bar = 5m, and you need to move at 32mph to generate an extra 1 bar of dynamic pressure underwater.

As for heat expanding the gaskets, that’ll increase the water resistance, not compromise it.

There’s a lot of hearsay that gets given as fact when this discussion pops up, not helped by the manufacturers covering their arses by telling you things like 30m is only splash proof and shouldn’t be worn in a pool. These two articles should hopefully answer all questions and clear up any myths –

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tale-of-two-isos-what-water-resistance-ratings-really-mean

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seven-dive-watch-myths-deep-sixed

Kryton57

Thanks for that fudd, counters my marketed bro science 🫤 and is an excellent read.

isnt it the crown o-ring that expands to leave a gap in the tube though?   I get the case L gaskets wouldn’t.

Fudd
    Free Member

isnt it the crown o-ring that expands to leave a gap in the tube though?

It’s tight around the outside of the tube but it’s also tight against the inside of the crown and has nowhere to go, so if it does expand then it’s only going to fill the gap even tighter.

Going from extreme heat to extreme cold could in theory pose a problem as then the gasket shrinks and it could let in water between the crown and gasket, but the gasket is already in compression from both sides so in all likelihood it’s never going to shrink enough to become a concern.

Murray

I took an Animal watch to 6m in 2007

I took a Swatch about that deep in 1990, it didn’t end well

JAG

Thanks Fudd, very interesting articles 👍🏻

pantsman
    Free Member

Thought I would share you all some of my (mostly) vintage Japanese Casio collection so far.  The oldest one dating back to 1976.  Some of these are very rare to find still in good condition and highly sought after

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pantsman – your collection is by no means pants. Very impressive.

Any chance of some more detailed pic’s perhaps one row at a time.

And tell which is the rarest and what’s your favourite and why.

alpineharry
    Free Member

What kind of price would you expect to pay for a second hand Tudor BB58? Preferably on something other than a steel bracelet. Getting married in September so we’re looking at gifts for eachother.

Alternatively, where would your money go for something of that value? BB58 is my benchmark as I keep coming back to it / comparing everything against it.

edhornby

(ex) diver here, in practice no one dives with a watch anymore because the manual depth gauges just aren’t that accurate and the time limits are easily missed on just a watch if you are experiencing nitrogen narcosis (when it’s mild it’s easy to not realise you are addled and that’s when errors occur). Proper dive computers are just so much better because they do a calculation of the dive time and depth to give you how long you have at depth and what decompression stops you need to do.

You could take a watch as a backup but it’s not a scenario that I’d be concerned about tbh. Best place for your watch is in the bag with your dry clothes

cookeaa

No steam rooms for me

Really? What’s the point of buying a water resistant watch if you don’t trust the water resistance?

Even my least ‘waterproof’ watch can come with the bottom of our local pool, a splash in the shower and a hosing…

Are people actually that precious over their desk divers?

w00dster

@alpineharry I was offered £1750 for my BB58 in a part ex deal. Most seem to seek for about £2100 to £2300 second hand.

Mine is 5 years old. I think it’s just a touch dated now. I’d keep thinking about your options. I have quite a few watches, difficult to say what else to look at really. I always default to my favourites, so a Speedmaster, Seamaster (black rubber white face) or a Heuer Autavia (the Chrono on black leather)

w00dster

@cookeaa nope. I have a few and I’m more than happy to wear mine for pretty much anything I’m doing. Shower, swimming, beach, cleaning bikes etc. I’ve always presumed that my divers are genuinely rated to 200 or 300 metres that they would be fine in the pool, shower or splashing about in the sea.

I have two watches over 20 years old, both still going strong.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wow – this is horrible and expensive…

https://williamwoodwatches.com/collections/dunkirk

ElShalimo

Despite the tagline it’s really not their finest hour

Kato

Toned the Atoll down a bit with the bracelet.  Smaller clasp and single side screws now so loads better than the last CW bracelet I had to size!!

w00dster

I think I prefer the Atol on the Blue Rubber…..but I’m not a fan of bracelet straps so what do I know!

Getting very close to deciding on what Seamaster I want. Tried this on yesterday……but as I was leaving the shop I noticed a Sedna Gold Aqua Tera and that might fit the brief better. The watch is to be worn with a suit, so possibly think the Seamaster is a bit too relaxed.

73076255-19a8-414b-9673-f23de07a6b7c

neilnevill
    Free Member

Seamaster is capable smart. The sedna gold stuff is very attractive but think carefully, it’s too much for many.

Kryton57

I’d wear the SMP on a bracelet with a suit, but not a rubber strap.  Personally I’d buy with a rubber strap and buy a good quality and tapered aftermarket bracelet.

And I wouldn’t go gold or rose gold, a bit too crass.

tall_martin

No steam rooms for me

Really? What’s the point of buying a water resistant watch if you don’t trust the water resistance?

Even my least ‘waterproof’ watch can come with the bottom of our local pool, a splash in the shower and a hosing…

Are people actually that precious over their desk divers?

I did go for a swim in a very warm pool with a diver watch on this week 😃

I’m not particulah precious about it. Falling off a climbing wall and dragging it down some grip tape in the the first week of ownership put paid the the pristine look.

I hate steam rooms and saunas. I’m sweaty enough with out getting hot for no good reason.

I take my watches off at night and shower in the morning before putting them on. Having a watch with a hole in the plastic front for a year made me careful.

I don’t generally hose myself down. If it’s that muddy on the trails I’ll have a waterproof jacket on.

One of my watches wasn’t waterproof in the 1970’s when it was made.

One is a Chinese eBay special. Is it waterproof, I don’t care to find out!

Both the g shocks and Seiko have 200m water depth ratings, but I changed the batteries and capacitors.

I bought a “waterproof” phone, got it wet and it died. I had an argument with a shop assistant about it being a warranty jobs- with an enormous photo of someone jumping in a pool with the same phone directly behind me.

edhornby

Also to answer the question about depth, most divers don’t do anything more than 30m or so. I once did 50m with just air to breathe and narcosis was strong and that’s with preparation dives so I knew what I was doing. Anything more than that needs a mixture of air and helium and it gets very expensive and dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. Doing 100m is a very rare occurrence.

That Omega with the 300m rating? (Nice watch btw) There’s probably about 20 or so divers who have ever done that kind of depth – regardless of whether standard scuba or rebreather

derek_starship
    Free Member

Surely only saturation divers “need” a 300 m watch?

Bullet

I’m saturated just sitting in the bath… IGMC

Blazin-saddles

dunno about depth, but SMP300 certified falling off a paddle board proof…

Kryton57

I’ve had my first foray into “expensive” leather straps. I think I’ve luckily chosen the colour, taper and fit perfectly:

IMG_5801

I feel it’s really elevates the overall watch looking much more expensive than it really is and giving more presence to the actual head of the watch.  Taper is 20 down to 16.  It’s quite bizarre how a relatively small set of changes have such an impact.

ElShalimo

I think I’ve luckily chosen the colour, taper and fit perfectly:

Tomorrow is another day….😆

Ewan
    Free Member

@pantsman – your two briefcases look great. Not sure if I love the cases more than the watches!

gifferkev

Just received my Seeker British sky today and yes, it matches the current over cast sky pretty well.

does seem to look brighter in the pic than on the arm though

PXL_20240628_162444153

Viewing 40 posts - 8,921 through 8,960 (of 8,960 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.