Home Forums Chat Forum Watches N+1…

• This topic has 9,036 replies, 413 voices, and was last updated 11 hours ago by Kato.
Viewing 40 posts - 8,961 through 9,000 (of 9,037 total)
  • Watches N+1…
    edd

New watch, a quartz snowflake.

IMG_0014

I wanted something that isn’t too big, or too flashy but which has a bit more depth (the dial and overall finishing) for me to enjoy. Think they are very overpriced at UK retail, thankfully big discounts are available on the grey market.

Nobby

Anyone here own a Farer or knowledge on them?  I’d heard the name before but saw one last night for the first time.

it looked & felt really well made, seems to have a decent movement but I was surprised at how reasonably priced it seemed to be.

This model:

Resolute II

richpips
    Free Member

@edd Liking the GS.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Finally got my first dive watch in 40 years. A Citizen ecodrive “Pepsi” style. Bargain price new and although I was worried about the size on my skinny wrist it feels great. Just need to get a shorter strap.

I used it wingfoiling in Weymouth last work and it survived multiple wipeouts.

It’s the Eco-Drive Promaster 45mm Mens Watch.

Alex

IMG_1680

@eddiebaby
    – I bought something similar on sale a few months ago. Think mine is a 40mm tho. Really like it. Very light, easy to read and defo waterproof to ”pool depth’ :)

@nobby
    – I keep seeing those on IG as well. There’s a couple I really like, but I’d never heard of them before either. This one https://farer.com/products/lander is my current fav but I’m a sucker for that dial colour.

pisco

Sounds great @eddiebaby – any pics?

Further to my request for diver recommendations, I’ve researched further:

I narrowly missed out on this Squale Matic on Ebay for a great price. In hindsight, I think it was a bit shiny and retro for what I want:

Screenshot_20240630_120251_eBay

I discovered the Damasko Sub50

Screenshot_20240630_115039_DuckDuckGo

I love the simplicity paired with unseen top quality features such as submarine steel, ceramic bearings in the bezel, and an in-house movement (rare at this price point)

Probably a bit too utilitarian and doesn’t fully press my ‘timeless design’ buttons

I’ve loved the Ball Skindiver II for years:

Screenshot_20240428_054620_DuckDuckGo

I love everything about it, but they are pricy. There are a couple on Chrono24 for £1400 which I could stretch to, but they are in China or Japan, and the VAT and duty makes it too much.

Finally, a curveball from microbrand Aera:

Screenshot_20240630_114907_DuckDuckGo

Screenshot_20240630_123715_Chrome

Just within budget, and a wonderful balance of form and function Imo. The odd angle pic is to show the continuous curves inside and out. Domed sapphire, one-piece curved dial with hand-applied lume, Selita SW200 movement (par for the course in this price range) and 904l stainless steel (same as Rolex). Two straps. Masculine but not macho, distinctive but not flashy,  simple but not boring.

Based in UK with no quibble returns if it doesn’t meet expectations.

Do you sense I’ve kind of decided?

I fully appreciate that everyone has different tastes and many will not like these, but such is the interesting world of watches!

JAG

I like the Squale.

I don’t like the Damasko.

I like the Ball.

Of all of them I prefer the Aera – nice looking ‘diver’ from a brand I’d never heard of until now :o)

sprootlet
    Free Member

I like the Aera – my favourite of the ones shown.

pisco

Yeah, the Damasko is proper German well engineered, but quite industrial looking. You can use the crown underwater!

As much as others’ opinions are not the main driver, it’s nice to hear other positive opinions. Pulling the trigger on the Aera this week

neilnevill
    Free Member

The aera is clearly a blancpain of homage.  Looks nice

cojacal

3403That is so cool!

JAG

Hmm that watch is not my idea of cool or stylish but each to their own!

well done Cav’ :o)

chipps

That’s a pretty bonkers watch to race a whole stage with… :-o

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yeah but if he leaves it home in Ongar the crooks smash they door in an nick his watches anyway.

cojacal

Cool on so many levels, but as @chipps said, not just riding a stage but sprinting with that on your wrist … utterly utterly bonkers, and so cool!

Perhaps if gravel rash messed it up it would be even more minted!

cojacal

Also, I hope Cav reads Watches N+1…

Blazin-saddles

Cav wouldn’t be much use as an RM brand ambassador if they lent it to him and he left it at home and wore a Casio instead. It’s literally photos like this that he gets paid for.

Robz
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t think Cav is paying for his Richard Milles. Pogacar is sponsored by them too I see.

Anyway, I don’t think they cost £200k at trade prices – I would love to see the RM mark up – x50 maybe? Maybe not for some of their mad sapphire case ones but anyway…

Speaking of high quality integrated sports watches I’m selling an immaculate ice blue Chris Ward 12 40mm if anyone is interested. ?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I found this languishing in a cupboard. Think it’s about 16 years old.

Nice looking watch I think.

tthew

Linked images don’t seem to be working, I can’t see Derek’s picture and one of mine in the dogs thread isn’t showing either. Shall flag it up on the sticky. Last image I can see is Cav’s RM.

Robz
    Free Member

I can see it.

tthew

Yep, I can now too. On my phone,  hmm, hang on.

But not on my work laptop. Must be our IT police blocking the host.

Yeah, nice that Derek. I shall update the issues thread.

Kryton57

I’ve had an interesting day.  Coffee in a couple of ADs trying on a Panarei Luminor then the new Aqua Terra  lack lacquer dial.

With a 6.75 wrist I was surprised how good the 44mm Luminor looked on wrist therefore kicking the 40mm off the desire list, but it’s a statement for sure like BAM! I’m wearing a Panerai don’t you know.

Then after asking it turned out the new AT still boxed and sealed had arrived an hour ago, so I was the first to try it.   What a stunning watch for sure, but it felt a bit “normal” emotionally compared to the Panerai.  The AT can be worn in many more scenarios and is a classy watch, but the Pan really is a statement.

Both put a GS Snowflake at the very back of my mind.

It’s nice to dream / aspire and it was an enjoyable experience. :)

neilnevill
    Free Member

<hr />

Pam, not pan.   I understand it’s an acronym (panerai ‘something’ model)  not a misspelled shortening.

Kryton57

That one was an autocorrect.  I’m aware of the Pam thing.

Blazin-saddles

Don’t you lot start again.  I’ve been obsessed with a PAM00112 for a while now and had just about forgotten about it, now I find myself looking at pictures again.  Good job they’ve been discontinued and not so easy to find a nice one.

Kryton57

Would it help if I know where there are two in a second hand AD? ?

Blazin-saddles

Only if they’re less than £3k and mint/unpolished ;-)

burko73

@pisco

I bought a Longines Legend Diver a few yrs back, based on their 60’s supercompressor. I really like it, it’s a bit different and less in your face than many other divers and I now have it on a NATO strap.

Most ridiculous sized box though… one here in your budget…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225975644370?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749371&toolid=20006&_ul=GB&customid=GB_281_225975644370.138022800130~1869344525733-g_EAIaIQobChMI9NemnJmShwMVA5VQBh3HVwb6EAQYBCABEgJHzPD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9NemnJmShwMVA5VQBh3HVwb6EAQYBCABEgJHzPD_BwE

Blazin-saddles

Looks like I’m about to test Christopher Wards 60 month warranty again.

The C60 Elite has got something wrong with the hand winding mechanism, clicking instead of winding.  The movement has felt pretty stiff for a while now, so been dying for a while I think.

It’s been back to them before when it was 3 months old and wasn’t seen again for 6 months.  This time I’m 6 months short of it being out of warranty, so kinda glad it’s broken now!  Let hope it’s back quicker this time.  I was thinking about moving it on anyway, so at least it will have a fresh service ready for the sale.

To be continued…

pisco

Thanks @burko73 but I’m sorted now! The Aera D1 diver arrived yesterday and I’m very happy; the build quality, materials and finish are all superb. Thankfully I have had no reaction to the high nickle content in the 904l steel, and it has not dropped or gained any perceptible time in 24 hours. So it looks like it’s a keeper! Shame the picture uploader is out of action.

oomidamon

Can ayone recommend a battery replacement service? I have a quartz TAG Heuer Senna and a Tissot T-Touch which both need a new battery.

johnnystorm

“Pogue” inspired Seiko Speedtimer has caught my eye…

The new Seiko Prospex Speedtimer Pogue tributes the brand’s legendary space chronograph

Pogue inspired Speedtimer

Kryton57

That’s a tough one for me.  It’s not really a Pogue, it’s a speed timer with a
    Pogue coloured dial, it’s got the usual cheap bracelet and the only thing to justify £800 in any way is the Sapphire – you can get better for cheaper but YMMV.  It’s very lazy of Seiko, small seconds are a bit of trend currently so to have remade the original Pogue dial probably would have then flying off the shelves.

It’s like the new Tissot TdF.  I quite like it, it’s the right size for a change (for me) but ultimately it’s a £400 quartz PR100 with a yellow Chrono hand.

johnnystorm

Oh yeah, very much “inspired” rather than “reissue”.

Good job they aren’t asking £800. ;-)

Kryton57

A PSA from anyone in London over the weekend, I have an invite from Watcho in Richmond which I can’t use to attend their “Grand Seiko” day on Saturday 13th between 10am-7pm, with goodies drinks, exclusives and offers.   If anyone wants it PM me with your email address and I’ll send it on for you to enjoy some watches and Seiko execs from Japan.

Kato

@Blazin-saddles

sounds like the reverser has stripped teeth.  My Visodate has the same problem but I’ve not sent it off to be repaired yet.  Anything based on a 2824 like the Selilta in the CW will eventually do this if you hand wind them.  It’s a notorious issue with the 2824 design.  Not hand wound my Atoll because of it, I spin it up like it’s an old Seiko haha

Harry_the_Spider

Bah. The date on my 22 year old Seamaster automatic has stopped advancing. Thoughts anyone?

nicko74

Kryton57Full Member
    A PSA from anyone in London over the weekend, I have an invite from Watcho in Richmond which I can’t use to attend their “Grand Seiko” day on Saturday 13th between 10am-7pm, with goodies drinks, exclusives and offers.   If anyone wants it PM me with your email address and I’ll send it on for you to enjoy some watches and Seiko execs from Japan.

That’d be right up my street… if I didn’t live in Ireland!

Talk of the new Aqua Terra further up, I saw a couple of reviews of them over the weekend; it’s an interesting move from Omega – and an “interesting” price they’re trying to charge for them! I’m a big AT fan, particularly as the bracelets have evolved into more robust and reliable ones; but the plain black lacquer just looks a bit… plain. It doesn’t have the appeal of, say, a Rolex Explorer I (which it’s clearly pitched against), and the quality of the movement really doesn’t make up for that

Viewing 40 posts - 8,961 through 9,000 (of 9,037 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.