• This topic has 184 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)
  • Washing up by hand , really that difficult? 🤔
  • the-muffin-man

@oldfart – look what you’ve started! I hope you’re happy with yourself! 🤣

J-R

obviously washed by either an inept oaf or a child on crap/no pocket money then.
    In cold water, with no detergent.

In reality, no. But I won’t pass your comments on to the current Mrs R, or our house guests.

stingmered

In your drying cupboard?

Even if I built an oversized cupboard around the combi boiler, a) it doesn’t really get that warm in there because it’s well insulated, b) there’s no way there would be enough room to dry for a busy / active family of four during the winter. No chance. We’ve got two spare bedrooms and still struggle to find the space to dry stuff. Hence the dreaded tumble-dryer. I accept it works for you which is great, but I’d be on a hiding to nothing trying implement that here. FWIW the tumble-dryer is rarely used between March and Nov because we can get stuff dry outside.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@J-R sorry, I meant micella.

oldfart

the muffinman
    Well that escalated didn’t it 😉 for perspective Mrs OF and I are both retired, only the 2 of us , kids long gone so washing up by hand isn’t a big deal . Families getting kids off to bed , getting stuff ready for the next day etc etc that’s different ,I remember that work shizz 😉 then the dishwasher is a boon but they aren’t without their own unique problems , dare I mention the eternal you aren’t stacking it properly , it’s not my turn to put it all away yadda yadda yadda 😬 that’s a whole other can of worms !

supernova

Our dishwasher broke and we didn’t bother fixing it so we could torture teenagers with washing up after every meal. Works a treat and doesn’t take any longer than loading / unloading the machine.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Works a treat and doesn’t take any longer than loading / unloading the machine.

see, I don’t get this argument – even if you ‘load’ everything straight into the sink, it’s the same process as loading a dishwasher. Then, do you not ‘unload’ your drying rack (or, towel dry your dishes)?

If so, dishwasher users are still winning in the time stakes, as they’re not actually doing the washing up..!

molgrips
    Free Member

Our kids unpack the dishwasher. I dread to think how long it’d take them to actually wash up…

supernova

Definitely quicker for me to have kitchen slaves do the washing up rather than me load / unload the dishwasher.

Also, the rule is whoever cooks doesn’t have to wash up, so it encourages them to cook instead – which is a useful life skill, unlike washing up.

funkmasterp

For me it’s the old my kitchen is tiny!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Definitely quicker for me to have kitchen slaves do the washing up rather than me load / unload the dishwasher.

Ah, quicker for you but not quicker overall 😉

one still has to take the plates from the table to the sink/dishwasher, and then from the sink/dishwasher to the cupboard.

Unless there’s some magic going on, pressing a dishwasher button simply has to be faster than doing the washing up by hand!

molgrips
    Free Member

Dishwasher isn’t faster. It takes 4 hours on eco. However, I can sit and watch telly during that time 🙂

dc1988

Unless something is really dried on then my 30 minute setting is generally good enough

slowoldman

Allegedly Confucius said a wise man spends more time eating than cooking and washing up.

I assume his wife did the cooking and washing up – unless he lived on pot noodle.

Northwind

tjagain

Obviously I’m being flippant but better designed houses means no need for tumble dryers

I want something that’s like a tumble dryer but not. A clothes mixer, maybe. I don’t need the drying but I’d quite like the softness and floofyness. Just batter the clothes in a circle like a medieval armour de-ruster and give it a little hot air

Maybe I need a dryer drum powered by a bike, or something.

TiRed

My formative years were spent telling my mother what sort of day I’d had whilst doing the dishes together. One to wash, one to dry and one to put away (usually after the other two had finished). When our dishwasher has failed the family conversation is always better.

slowoldman

I’ve spent the afternoon cooking a couple of dishes, one for today and one for the freezer, washing up by hand as I went along. A nice way to spend a few hours communing with a bottle of wine culminating in a splendid dinner to boot.

seadog101

Our DW conked out, Control panel died. Replacment parts were available, but close to 50% of the cost of a complete new one.
    So, survived quite well for over a year without one.
    Eventually snapped and got it replaced, mainly due to a good one (Bosch) being on offer, and realising that it’d be expected when we come to sell.
    We still only use it after big meals once or twice a week.

reeksy

We’re currently a family of four in temporary accommodation without a dishwasher. 9 months and 2 days and I don’t think it’s really been a problem. Primary school age kids are trained to do their own (mostly).

But we don’t have people around for meals. It’s definitely better when there’s lots of dishes to have a dishwasher.

dudeofdoom

There’s only 2 of us anyway. I quite like washing up, just as much as Mrs Egf likes ironing. I wash up, she irons.

What’s ironing 🙂

I tend to use the dishwasher on the weekend for a treat.

Cougar

Fire brigades tend to advise against using dishwashers and washing machines while you’re asleep or out.

Although its only a risk to your property if you’re running it while you’re out

I always found it weird that white goods would work perfectly fine so long as you were in the house watching TV for four hours, yet would spontaneously combust and burn down the house if you went to take the bins out. My mum still physically unplugs the TV before going to bed every night for the same reason.

You need a better system – there’s a skill in stacking. My pile of washed pots is a work of art! 🤣🤣

You should talk to my other half. Crystal glasses on the bottom, farmhouse iron pans on top, why do we keep getting broken glasses? 🤔

I’m contemplating moving the washing machine into the bog, so we have space for a dishwasher.

Why not?

When you think about it, having it in the kitchen is weird. Your laundry’s upstairs to start with, clothes storage also. The ‘utility room’ should be where you’re already generating steam from baths and showers, no?

For breakfast we may have Porridge to start with followed by poached eggs on toast with fruit and yogurt to finish.

You have a three course meal for breakfast? I think I gained weight just reading that. 😁

The energy rating doesn’t look good however at ‘E’ , if I’ve read that right.

Point of note here is that the energy ratings were regraded last year. The old A+++ grade is like a C on the new scale, your ‘E’ there would formerly have been something like A or A+.

DrJ

I’m contemplating moving the washing machine into the bog, so we have space for a dishwasher.

Makes sense but are you allowed to put an electric socket in the bog or bathroom?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Makes sense but are you allowed to put an electric socket in the bog or bathroom?

I was working in Norway for a while and the little AirBnB apartment I rented had the washing machine in the bathroom. Makes perfect sense.

The UK has much stricter electrical regs because of a hangover from crap fuseboxes with no RCDs/MCMs back in the day. It’s why we have fused plugs. I can’t see why there is a significant risk from a properly protected socket in a bathroom.

theotherjonv

I always found it weird that white goods would work perfectly fine so long as you were in the house watching TV for four hours, yet would spontaneously combust and burn down the house if you went to take the bins out. My mum still physically unplugs the TV before going to bed every night for the same reason.

You’re missing the point. As told to me by the Surrey Fire Brigade when they fitted alarms, confirmed by a mate from the LFB, and then additionally it did happen to another friend of mine.

It won’t stop it malfunctioning and catching fire. But if you are awake you will probably smell smoke before the smoke alarms go off, and have extra time to get out. You certainly won’t be woken in the early hours trapped in upstairs rooms where the smoke has now built up and need rescuing from upstairs windows.

Absolutely, compared to the number of dishwasher cycles run every day it’s a tiny number, but google house fire and dishwasher and you’ll see it does happen.

And fire, more than anything, terrifies me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Happened to a friend of mine. Kitchen destroyed as fire took hold while they slept.

Fortunately they woke up and escaped, but doubtless they’d have twigged the kitchen was on fire sooner if they were using the DW in the daytime.

theotherjonv

My mate and his GF had to be laddered out through upstairs windows. House was saved but almost everything was destroyed by smoke or water damage, they were out for months in rented accommodation while it was refurbished.

zilog6128

I always found it weird that white goods would work perfectly fine so long as you were in the house watching TV for four hours, yet would spontaneously combust and burn down the house if you went to take the bins out.

I’d actually much prefer something to go up (if it has to, obviously prefer still if nothing caught fire!!) when I was out, I’d imagine having to escape or be rescued from a burning house is not that much fun!

I actually know 2 families who’ve had their houses gutted by faulty white goods lately, one was a fridge so obviously on all the time anyway 😬. One lot were home but got out ok, the other were out anyway as walking the dog!

poly
    Free Member

<div id=”post-12636363″ class=”bbp-reply-header d-flex justify-content-between w-100 p-0 mb-2″>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-author d-flex align-items-center flex-wrap”><span class=”bbp-author-name”>trail_rat</span>
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Free Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”d-flex align-items-between”></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”p-0 loop-item-21 user-id-2528 bbp-parent-forum-180317 bbp-parent-topic-12636297 bbp-reply-position-22 even post-12636363 reply type-reply status-publish hentry”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content p-0″>

I don’t use riseaid. No need with beautiful edinburgh water

You will after a 18months-2 years …. Your waters harder than mine and you will get away with it for a while but it’ll catch up with you.

</div>
    </div>

<div class=”p-0 loop-item-21 user-id-2528 bbp-parent-forum-180317 bbp-parent-topic-12636297 bbp-reply-position-22 even post-12636363 reply type-reply status-publish hentry”>

have never used rinseaid in about 20 years of lothians dishwashering, absolutely no issue, if the glasses don’t come out sparkling it’s a sign the filter is gunged up.

</div>
    neither my parents nor my in-laws have dishwashers – both seem to enjoy the ritual of washing up.  They also have a stereotypical “she cooks, he washes” approach and replacing 1/2 of that with a machine may upset the balance!  They must spend 60+ hrs a year doing dishes.  Given neither are particularly busy it’s probably good for them – they don’t have Internet forums to waste their lives in front of!

poly
    Free Member

Zilog – I’m with you – I’m not sure there is much sense being in a house that goes up in flames, If my dishwasher goes up I fully expect by the time my smoke/heat detectors alert me it’s too late for me to do anything about it and all I can do is evacuate and call the fire brigade.  With a retained fire service it will take at least 15 minutes for a crew to arrive and so there is going to be extensive damage at best.  Whilst I know fire services are not keen on them being used overnight either (for the same reasons) – realistically the incidence rate is low, and I suspect it’s like asking A&E consultants about trampolines, cycling, etc; police officers about home security, IT professionals about VPNs etc you get an artificially enhanced perception of risk.  I only know directly of one housefire caused by a washing machine (nealry 40 yrs ago) and it wasn’t actually in use at the time.  If it was really a true risk when they are in use insurance companies would be creating exclusion clauses.

poly
    Free Member

Fortunately they woke up and escaped, but doubtless they’d have twigged the kitchen was on fire sooner if they were using the DW in the daytime.

would they?  Unless you actually sit in the kitchen and watch it I doubt most people would notice before any alarms went off.

Cougar

Contrary to popular belief you are, though there are strict regulations as to exactly where.

Either way, if you were to have white goods in a bathroom I’d expect them to be hard-wired rather than be on a regular plug.

You’re missing the point. As told to me by the Surrey Fire Brigade when they fitted alarms, confirmed by a mate from the LFB, and then additionally it did happen to another friend of mine.

I don’t think I am. I wasn’t trying to say that there isn’t a fire risk from, well, anything electrical and I have no doubts that electrical fires do happen occasionally. Rather that as Zilog says, it could just as easily be your fridge. Do you unplug that at night? If the perceived risk is from unattended appliances, during the day do you think “I can’t go for a crap, the dishwasher’s on”?

Your fire brigade mates, did they say why the fire started beyond “the dishwasher”? Was running it causal, or was it a 40-year old machine filled with mice? Would they even know? They’re experts in putting fires out, not in forensic root cause analysis.

Mitigating risk is good and all, and your pyrophobia is understandably driving it, but it does feel an awful lot like “established wisdom” from the 1970s. At the first sniff of thunder my gran would run round the house in a panic, unplugging everything and pulling the aerial out of the telly. Which, yes, probably reduced the risk of us all dying in a lightning strike induced fireball from “vanishingly close to **** all” to “absolutely **** all” but… ?

theotherjonv

it could just as easily be your fridge. Do you unplug that at night? If the perceived risk is from unattended appliances, during the day do you think “I can’t go for a crap, the dishwasher’s on”?

No, because the fridge ‘has to’ run at night. Your washing machine and dishwasher doesn’t.

Look, I’m only passing on info given to me by the FB and backed up by ‘anecdote’ and maybe i am over sensitive. Typically STW, sounds like you know better so crack on.

jamesoz

Contrary to popular belief you are, though there are strict regulations as to exactly where.

Either way, if you were to have white goods in a bathroom I’d expect them to be hard-wired rather than be on a regular plug.

The tumble dryer is already in the bog. Hard wired via fused spur. Toilet and hand basin only. Bath and shower are in another room.

Would mean some plumbing, either stacking the units and building a taller cupboard, or swapping to a washer dryer. Not keen on extra expense of a new washing machine on top of the cost of the dishwasher.
    There are other options for the dryer. I think next door have Thiers outside by the sound of it!

Either way I’ve promised to sort out a dishwasher over the Christmas break. How romantic!

myti
    Free Member

No dishwasher here. No ideal place for it without losing cupboard space. Only the 2 of us so one cooks and one washes. Fairs fair. I seriously doubt it uses more power or even water. We’re very frugal and have nice low bills each month. 20 minutes max to wash up an elaborate meal and max 2 small washing up bowls if I’ve used lot’s of large saucepans and baking trays. Everything is lightly rinsed before air drying on the rack and no need to put everything away apart from big stuff. It’s perfectly tidy on the drainer until you use it next. Whoever said you have to wash up 3 times a day so use 3 times as much… seriously a couple of toast plates and mugs from the morning and those get done with dinner. If I do wash up just a small amount to be tidy it uses a couple of cups water max. Also washing up by hand obviously saves money in winter as you’re moving about more so saves needing the heating on as high during that time plus we’re on our feet so helping fight the obesity epidemic. Win win 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Whoever said you have to wash up 3 times a day so use 3 times as much

That would be me. Family of four…

sharkbait
    Free Member

After changing all my old halogen downlighters to LED about 8 years ago I’ve little fear of a fire being started by the dishwasher.
    When I pulled the units out of the ceiling, to remove the 12v transformers, I was horrified to see how many of them had either burnt or chewed wires with no insulation and exposed wires. It was lethal!

Cougar

No, because the fridge ‘has to’ run at night. Your washing machine and dishwasher doesn’t.

But the fridge can, and does. Daily (nightly) and continually, for years.

Look, I’m only passing on info given to me by the FB and backed up by ‘anecdote’ and maybe i am over sensitive. Typically STW, sounds like you know better so crack on.

I don’t know better, rather I’m considering the authority of your info.

Some bloke who puts fires out says that dishwashers catch fire. Sure, no reasons to doubt that. But why would that happen? Because the homeowners left it unattended and it went “aha, now’s my chance!” or because it should have been maintained or replaced 20 years ago? Because if it’s the latter then your risk mitigation strategy is addressing the wrong problem, and if the former then they probably should be banned.

Maybe there’s a wider issue here. We typically get boilers serviced annually, why is periodic inspection of other white goods not a thing? If I had something in my house that I thought might spontaneously explode and kill everyone then I’d get a man out to it occasionally, or at least take the back off myself and look for obviously frayed wiring etc.

theotherjonv

Some bloke who puts fires out

With this you’re starting to be a bit of a dick now.  A huge part of what the fire service do is based around education and prevention. It’s not ‘some bloke who puts fires out’ pet peeve.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/bedtime-checks/

From Staffs:

“Don’t be tempted leave the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher running overnight or while you are out. <b>They are a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors</b>.

Your point on doing regular inspection is also kind of covered; rather than the inexpert ‘take the back off and check for frayed wires’ if it starts to malfunction get it properly checked, and secondly register it – so you can get recall notices if something is identified.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I absolutely understand tumble dryers best being run while the house is occupied seeing as they do get really quite warm and there’s a fair amount of burny, fluffy stuff in them.
    But the fire brigade don’t seem to be making much noise about boilers which generally get very hot and handle stuff that goes bang!
    Or ovens, or microwaves both of which have plenty of potential for starting fires.
    Do some people not have any of those because there is a slim chance that they too might burst into flames?

Isn’t it more important to have effective, linked, smoke detectors in the room? Just in case your, water filled, washing machine does catch fire?

(Some of the above is said in jest, but not necessarily all of it 😉)

theotherjonv

do you put your oven on and then go to bed?

And the point isn’t about boilers (which should be serviced every year) or microwaves, or fridges, or even about washing machines and tumble dryers.

The thread was about the convenience of putting the dishwasher on last thing at night and waking up to a clean set of pots and pans.  Which someone rightly said was against the advice of the fire brigades, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jan/07/night-time-use-electrical-appliances-lower-bills-fire-risk

The London Fire Brigade told the Guardian that it attends a fire that can be traced to white goods of some sort on a daily basis. As a result it advises people not to leave them unattended overnight.

If a fire breaks out during the night, whatever the cause, the risk to life is always greater as it is very likely people will be asleep and have less time to react and escape,” an LFB spokesman says.

While only 11% of fires occurred in the five hours between midnight and 5am, these caused a fifth of all deaths in Great Britain in 2013-14.

I know people will say doubling your risk from 0.0000x to 0.00002x, etc., but why double the risk if you don’t have to.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.