• This topic has 184 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)
  • Washing up by hand , really that difficult? 🤔
  • oldfart

Seeing some of the comments on another thread I find it amusing that some can’t fathom the no dishwasher life .When we designed our new kitchen the company designer found it odd we didn’t want one even though we had a space for one . 15 minutes tops after your tea in the evening job jobbed 😉

tjagain

I bought one last year.  Used to be I cooked and Julie washed up.  Now on my own I really cannot be arsed with both cooking and washing up hence the dishwasher.  I love it.  also its astonishing how much cleaner pots and pans now are ( I hate to think how nasty the chemicals must be) and also its great for degreasing bike bits

zippykona

Now that fairy liquid is utter shit I find the greasy pans need to go in the dishwasher if I want them squeaky clean.

andrewreay

Happy enough without one.

But bigger meals / entertaining are a bit of a PITA. Never really found a satisfactory way to handle these issues / choices:

a) Having a tip in the kitchen / dining area that is full of dirty plates whilst your guests are still around

b) Sending everyone off home and, in the wee small hours when you want to be in bed, facing the huge pile of dirty plates

c) Getting up the mooring after and being faced by a huge pile of dirty plates

That’s the one time I yearn to be able to load the machine and at least half the amount of washing up.

But otherwise, just don’t miss having one.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Ace, minutes ago I thought to myself that I would not eat anything if we didn’t have a dishwasher 😃

Never had one before this wife but now the thought of hand washing after eating is terrifying.

But…. I also think spending hours cooking and minutes eating is crazy. Wife totally disagrees.

longdog
    Free Member

Ardent washer-upper here. I quite like it in a mindful way.

I’ve no desire for a dishwasher. My experience of them at work and at other peoples house is they cause more issues than just washing up 🤣

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

.When we designed our new kitchen the company designer found it odd we didn’t want one

Same here.
    We sold the one we had cos we wanted more cupboard space, I think we used it a handful of times while we had it.
    There’s only 2 of us anyway. I quite like washing up, just as much as Mrs Egf likes ironing. I wash up, she irons.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Apparently a dishwasher is better and cheaper than hand washing.
    The first I absolutely agree with, the second …. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I can put a very full dishwasher on overnight and everything’s extremely clean by the next morning.
    Alternatively, I can put it on when the sun is shining and have my dishwashing done for free.

When we designed our new kitchen the company designer found it odd we didn’t want one even though we had a space for one .

I’m not surprised!
    If I was looking around a house and it didn’t have a dishwasher, but had space for one, I would be very surprised.

CountZero

Living on my own now, cooking and then dealing with washing up is a PITA, but I’d have to have my kitchen remodelled to accommodate a dishwasher and while it would be more convenient having one, I don’t have a problem hand-washing dishes etc.

duncancallum

I use ours only if we’ve had loads of folk round etc…

I’d not fit one if I re did the kitchen I’d have a wine fridge

simondbarnes

It’s never even crossed my mind to have a dishwasher. How would it warm my hands up?

tjagain

I’ve no desire for a dishwasher. My experience of them at work and at other peoples house is they cause more issues than just washing up

Only Issue I have is that I can’t put my bone handled knives in it and the silver spoons have tarnished a bit
    #middleclassissues

binners

I just keep a jetwasher in the kitchen.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Apparently a dishwasher is better and cheaper than hand washing*.
    The first I absolutely agree with, the second …. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I can put a very full dishwasher on overnight and everything’s extremely clean by the next morning.
    Alternatively, I can put it on when the sun is shining and have my dishwashing done for free.

When we designed our new kitchen the company designer found it odd we didn’t want one even though we had a space for one .

I’m not surprised!
    If I was looking around a house and it didn’t have a dishwasher, but had space for one, I would be very surprised.

15 minutes tops after your tea in the evening job jobbed

That’s pretty much 1 working day/month doing washing up!

* I presume that means washing up to the same standard with the same temperature water, etc and drying up.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m on the more efficient and just easier. More so if you’re the type that doesn’t understand how micella work and continually runs the water.

I got ours from somebody at work for £20 to charity about 8 years or so ago, just needed the door seal cleaned. It’s an old clockwork type so not much to go wrong (it does occasionally stick though).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I hate to think how nasty the chemicals must be

Mostly caustic, so actually better for the environment than soap.

Although rinse aid is gross when you think about it.

zilog6128

Yeah it’s odd not having one, OP is old though so I’ll let him off. My mum is exactly the same mindset 😂 They save energy/water/time & do a better job than I can be arsed to do so a no brainer for me!!

tjagain

I don’t use riseaid.  No need with beautiful edinburgh water

sharkattack

We moved into a house with a dishwasher and we’ve never turned it on. We use it for storage and would rather have a cupboard.

jamesco

I don’t mind either way, however…….before all this energy crisis cost of living palaver kicked off our old one was broken down for maybe six weeks , and it’s true that a dishwasher saves water , energy and ‘Fairy liquid’ ( other products are available). I have always kept a record of meter readings at this house and there was a very obvious spike in water consumption and gas use as well as always running out of the aforementioned cleaning fluid during the down time of the old pot and pan rumbler. This was the subject of one of those consumer type programmes on Radio 4 a while back and they came to the same conclusion. It is also true that a copious supply of cutlery and crockery is needed as the bugger becomes a second store room of the most used items !

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s pretty much 1 working day/month doing washing up!

That was my thinking. “Just” 15 minutes every day. I don’t spend that long on all the other chores combined.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I don’t use riseaid. No need with beautiful edinburgh water

You will after a 18months-2 years …. Your waters harder than mine and you will get away with it for a while but it’ll catch up with you.

Likewise with salt.

Ain’t nobody got time and money to be wasting on heating oil to wash dishes.

We hand wash the sharp knifes and the wooden chopping boards. Everything else goes in the dishwasher and is washed by the wonder of the sun

scotroutes

I don’t use riseaid.  No need with beautiful edinburgh water

We didn’t use any when we were in Balerno and still don’t. Glasses come out sparkling.

ads678

How do you know when someone doesn’t have a dishwasher…..

ctk
    Free Member

Family of 4, I wish we had one but our kitchen is tiny.

maccruiskeen

I’m not surprised!

When we do our kitchen we’ll take the one thats there out – I’d rather just have a cupboard. I’m not really interested in configuring my home around guesses about what someone else would want to do with it. With it there and available to use I just have not need or want to use it. The difference cumulatively  between the time it takes to load and unload compared to just washing the dishes is negligible (I’d question the 15mins – I often do our washing up while I’m making coffee – which takes 4 minutes. But the more meaningful difference for me is once the few minutes spent washing up is done… it done. I dont have to wait the duration of the dishwasher cycle between the first few minutes of labour and the last few minutes of labour. Which means I don’t have to

put a very full dishwasher on overnight and everything’s extremely clean by the next morning.

Fire brigades tend to advise against using dishwashers and washing machines while you’re asleep or out. Although its only a risk to your property if you’re running it while you’re out, They’re in the top ten of appliances that cause house fires. They cause more house fires that deep fat friers for instance- but you don’t leave a frier, oven or hob running unattended while you’re asleep. Personally I’d just be bothered by the noise though.

towzer

Not for me, old school washer upper.

Allegedly Confucius said a wise man spends more time eating than cooking and washing up.

maccruiskeen

Allegedly Confucius said a wise man spends more time eating than cooking and washing up.

You’re thinking of Snoop Dog 🙂

bikebob

We had a new kitchen 2 years ago. I wanted 2 (slimline) one dirty, other clean (effectively a cupboard). Mrs was not having it, no way. We’ve got one slimline and would not be without it. Still think 2 would be nice.

didnthurt

With two kids we can have the dishwasher on three times a day at the weekend. Normally just the once a day in the week.

I think if I lived alone I wouldn’t bother emptying the dishwasher, I’d just live out of it and refill it after each meal.

tjagain

I think if I lived alone I wouldn’t bother emptying the dishwasher, I’d just live out of it and refill it after each meal.

Takes me 2 – 3 days to fill it.  It goes on 2 or 3 times a week

fooman

In our first house, I took out a cupboard to fit a dishwasher, it changed our lives for the better, the time savings add up to hours each month. When we had a new kitchen fitted we decided not to have cupboards, just dishwashers. Now we just put stuff back in and set them off, we don’t even need to unload them, because they the cupboards.

funkmasterp

Can’t fit a dishwasher in our kitchen. I use washing up time to listen to new albums or playlists

. I quite like washing up, just as much as Mrs Egf likes ironing. I wash up, she irons.

ironing I can’t be arsed with. It’s that infrequent in our house that my daughter cried the last time I got the ironing board out because she’d never seen it before 😂

MrOvershoot

Exactly the same tj, in fact I put it on 10 minutes ago. Due to various reasons my 15 year old broken one didn’t get replaced for nearly 2 years and bloody hell it was a right ball ache and along with my then caring duties it often meant I was leaving it till I had to do it.

Our family were early adopters of dishwashers as I can remember my mum getting one over 40 years ago.

spooky_b329

Those using rinse aid and salt… You don’t need to unless you are not using all-in-one tablets, which are pretty much limited to the most basic own brand ones.

There is normally a way to turn off the low salt/rinse aid alarms on the dishwasher.

I remember talk of having to rinse everything off after hand washing in the sink. Shock horror, washing up liquid bubbles don’t taste soapy!

the-muffin-man

We had a dishwasher for 30+ years but moved to a new house with a tiny kitchen in April. There’s no room for a dishwasher and we honestly don’t miss it.

mert
    Free Member

Apparently a dishwasher is better and cheaper than hand washing.

FWIW the only “proper” study i could find on that was using the “tap running continuously” hand washing up model.

Which i’ve never done, not once, in probably 40 years of washing up.

A typical dishwasher uses about 15 litres, the bowl in my sink takes 8.

So, errrr, i’m not sure.

kayak23

We’ve got one.
    I never use it though. Does me nut in how you can never find anything because it’s rotting away in the dishwasher that’s waiting to be full.

Then emptying the thing when full sucks too, especially as it’s all below counter level.

I quite enjoy my ten minutes after dinner listening to Mark Riley prattling on.

Aggravates my eczema though I reckon, and washing up gloves are seemingly only made for women.
    Size large is way too small. Can’t get the buggers off.

kilo

We have one, they’re great. After a day at work and then cooking and eating late I really can’t be arsed washing up, I want to sit on the sofa and vegetate for a while, chuck it in the dish washer; it’s a labour saving device.
    However at our house in Ireland, there’s no dishwasher but I’m not working or eating late and washing up isn’t such a chore for me, I’m time rich there.

Bazz

We had one as at home when I was growing up, family of six so plenty of washing up, since growing up (and now old) I’ve never had one, and don’t want one. I really don’t find washing up a chore, I’m the main cook in the house and tend to wash as I go, after the meal it’s just plates cutlery and maybe the odd saucepan or baking tray, rarely takes more than 10 minutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.