• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by austy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Warranty frame incompatible parts
  • whytetrash

Mates getting a very nice specialized replaced under lifetime warranty… his epic currently runs 2x sram xx new frames all 1x what happens regarding drive train? Any experience?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Given its 2x in assuming its beyond the warranty on the bike and now just the (additional) warranty on the frame?

Friend might be lucky but there’s no reason specialized should be replacing other parts under the extended frame warranty.

If the bike is still in warranty then the bike should be made good.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

No Spesh are not bound to replace everything.

The joys of long warranties and progression of bike parts.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mate would be a dick if he argued the point TBH.

andrewh
    Free Member

Did he buy a frame or a bike?
    If he bought a frame and built it himself I would say his problem, frame is broken, they’ve replaced the frame.
    If he bought a bike then I would say it’s their problem, bike is broken, they need to make it work again.
    In the real world, what’s the issue? I assume nowhere to put a front mech, no cable routing?
    Stick the front mech and shifter on fleabay, buy 1x chainring with proceeds

crazy-legs

If he bought a frame and built it himself I would say his problem, frame is broken, they’ve replaced the frame.
    If he bought a bike then I would say it’s their problem, bike is broken, they need to make it work again.

This came up a while ago in another post, I’ll try and find it.

However you are wrong. The frame broke. Specialized replace the frame. The parts on it – tough shit, they’re under no obligation to give you a whole load of new drivetrain just because the spec has changed.

Edit: this thread: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/warranty-bike-rebuild-460-for-parts/#post-11232359

whytetrash

Thanks guys … sort of settled an argument… full bike with lifetime warranty…. can see why its harsh though… imagine you’ve just changed rings chain cassette etc with 2x 10 XTR for example? Not riders fault frame breaks and new one wont take a front mech

BoardinBob

Mate had this a few years ago.

Cracked a newish 26″ nukeproof mega which was under warranty

Except nukeproof didn’t make the 26″ frame anymore.

He’d bought a full bike but they only replaced the frame and he had to buy new wheels and forks

Superficial
    Free Member

Will it take a BB mount f-mech?

5lab

I know someone (in canada) who got a brand new bike when they broke the frame on their 26″ stumpy after 3 years as the wheel size had gone up to 650b, almost nothing was compatible

jimw
    Free Member

When I had three warranty frames from Trek (first warranty replacement broke after 30 miles use, the second after about three months!)it was made clear the only thing they would do is change the frame. Even stripping the old frame and rebuilding was my responsibility-hence a hurried strip down in the bike shop’s car park and the grateful loan of a BB tool from the shop mechanic.
    The third frame had different geometry which meant the forks were no longer really suitable. I had to suck it up, but to be fair I did get the most expensive Carbon EX frame in the end as that was all they had in stock, so I did gain from it in one way. Trek and the bike shop were fantastic to deal with to give them their due.

sillyoldman

Most brands will have a no consequential loss clause in their warranty, so technically are not liable for replacing incompatible parts, but will sometimes help at their discretion.

OP – no older stock warranty frames available?

austy
    Free Member

I had a Specialized rockhopper top tier model that was last of the 26 inch wheels. The frame cracked and I got a replacement bike that was 29er but was the lowest model in the range. I was happy to receive it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Warranty frame incompatible parts’ is closed to new replies.