Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Wandavision
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Saw the first of the 2 episodes released yesterday. I think this has the possibility to get very dark over the next few weeks. Looking forward E2 at some point today.

jimdubleyou

I don’t understand the premise of this show…

How did they get stuck in this alternate reality?

halifaxpete

For some reason only episode 2 was available to me? Gonna try again today see if E1 appears. No idea what its about TBH but looks like it could be interesting

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

E1 was cringe but I understand its telling the story so we soldiered on through it.
    E2 was alright, starting to give hints

It better get more interesting and move to the core of the story fast or it’ll lose us.

easily
    Free Member

Alternative reality

These days I assume that we are living in an alternative reality. Someone decided to write a story in a word where Trump was President and Johnson was PM, then a deadly virus appears.

leffeboy

good point.  If you live in the US especially it must really feel like being in a Netflix story where there are no off-limits on the plot line, characters and what can happen next

funkmasterp

I think it could get good and might be tied to The House of M storyline from the comics. My only concern is that it’s Disney so cant really get too dark or warped because Disney. I’ll stick with it for a few more episodes and see how it goes.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, yeah, I watched the first one, few chuckles, but thinking – The Incredibles did this and did it better… then watched the second one.. more of the same, couple of laugh out loud moments. But always with the thought, I hope there’s more to it than this.
    So I’ve checked in Empire mag and they say it’s going to go through the decades of sitcom styles? Sounds crap to me. Really needs to be darker and hope it is.
    Definitely glad that Disney+ is a freebee with O2.

poah
    Free Member

load of pish – hope it gets better

Klunk
    Free Member

the period canned laughter is so grating!

somafunk

Watched episode 1 as far as the scene where the neighbour pops round to welcome Wanda into the neighbourhood before I switched off, canned laughter and the usual all American values make for a tiresome watch.

Not for me but that’s ok, others will no doubt enjoy it

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just had breakfast (Taiwanese street food scrambled eggs for a thread crossover. Personally I think they are more of an omelette but there you go. Please my chopstick usage has progressed to replacing whisks and spatulas). and where were we..?
    Ah yes Wandavision. Ep3 is more of the same. Worth it for the title sequence alone but more of the same as the previous 2 with more of the darkness creeping into the show.
    This slow reveal is getting to the point they are going to speed it up or I may just shout at the monitor.

tomparkin

We watched episodes one and two the other night.

Assuming they’re going for a Truman-Show-esque alternative reality thing (as appears to be the case), I’m not sure if works very well in an episodic format. You lose the immersion and suspension of disbelief IMO.

We’ll probably watch the rest of it as it becomes available (because… sigh… what else is there?) but I’m not massively sold thus far.

martinhutch

I think there’s too much sitcom and too little main plot in eps1&2. I can see what they are trying to achieve, but the venn diagram of people who love homages to 50s US TV comedy and people who love Marvel superhero movies is pretty small. Hopefully it will improve.

BillOddie

I enjoyed E1 and E2, the kids really didn’t get it though.

We watched the trailer after (they hadn’t seen it) and now they sort of get what is going to happen.

rossburton
    Free Member

the period canned laughter is so grating!

Grating, but that was a genuine studio audience 🙂

argee

Gonna wait for a few more episodes before watching, not a big fan of what i’ve seen on adverts and so on, hoping it’s not just a cash in on avengers at this time and a bit of thought has gone into it!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Were you happy with the Mandalorian? Because a lot of the same names seem to be involved with this. I think it could become quite a classic as it develops.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ep3 is more of the same

Damn, not watched it yet but was hoping in Ep3 it would start to pick up a lot more 🙁

Ep 1 was just dire, I get (sort of) what it was trying to do but it just wasn’t funny or entertaining in any way (well, maybe one or two short sequences). I was just picturing the writers, producers and director all patting themselves on the back about how clever it was.

Ep2 was a bit better, at least you could see it was building to something.

funkmasterp

It’s going to tie directly in to the next Dr Strange by the sounds of it. If it does incorporate elements from The House of M it should get really interesting.

Almost seems like a Disney attempt at something like Legion.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have to say that I wasn’t a fan of it when I first read about it and my interest in it is falling by the day.

DezB
    Free Member

We watched the trailer after (they hadn’t seen it) and now they sort of get what is going to happen.

Stupid that you have to watch a trailer (or read an article, like I did) to maintain interest. I reckon they’ve misjudged it.

Were you happy with the Mandalorian?

Watch the first 10 minutes, and it was so full of naff clichés that I didn’t bother with any more. Looked like it was for 8-11 year olds and I don’t have one of those to watch with anymore.

martinhutch

Watch the first 10 minutes, and it was so full of naff clichés that I didn’t bother with any more.

This is the STW way. 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

This is the STW way.

The way STW it is. (FTFY)

Cougar

I’ve not watched it yet so can’t comment on the show directly but I just wanted to add a thought.

How many fondly regarded series, especially genre shows, took a while to get properly get going? Star Trek DS9 contains some of the finest Trek ever made but the first two seasons were just terrible, it was abject garbage until the Dominion turned up fresh out of bubble-gum and Cisco put his hair on upside down. Early Next Gen doesn’t fare much better. The first season of Buffy is relatively weak compared to later episodes (but was still better than pretty much anything else that was airing at the time so, eh). Babylon 5 was, generously, a slow burn.

Every first season of New Who following a regeneration has been comparatively poor, presumably because they’re writing for an actor they’ve not yet seen in action; Matt Smith’s initial run was clearly Tennant’s scripts with 10 Tipp-Exed out and 11 scrawled over the top, Eyebrows and the Doctoress were also badly short-changed. IMHO, YMMV, IANAD (Jim).

When did we become so impatient? Are we just spoiled for choice now so can afford to be more selective whereas back when the ink was still wet on TNG we either had to watch that or Emmerdale Farm?

And is that a good thing to encourage quality control, or are we losing some potentially amazing shows? I don’t know, but for a good few years now I’ve been loathe to invest in a new show until it’s run for a couple of seasons just in case the studio “does a Firefly” and shitcans it whilst I’m in the middle of watching it.

slackboy

Watched episode 1 as far as the scene where the neighbour pops round to welcome Wanda into the neighbourhood before I switched off

This is deliberate – what I’m taking so far is that they are stuck somewhere (being interrogated?) and this sitcom layer is to keep them docile/compliant.

I love the references to I Dream of Genie and Bewitched. the first thing  i noticed in the first episode is that the set is very similar to bewitched set from the 60’s

the title sequences are direct ripoffs too.

Enjoying it so far.

Klunk
    Free Member

they’re now in the 70’s 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t know, but for a good few years now I’ve been loathe to invest in a new show until it’s run for a couple of seasons just in case the studio “does a Firefly” and shitcans it whilst I’m in the middle of watching it.

I’m still not certain if they should have ‘done a Firefly’ on Season 2 of Dollhouse.

DezB
    Free Member

me, up there ^^^

they say it’s going to go through the decades of sitcom styles

then. So ’tis true. Still sounds a bit duff

they’re now in the 70’s

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve been loathe to invest in a new show until it’s run for a couple of seasons

So you’ve missed erm… Devs? The Third Day? I May Destroy You… The Good Lord Bird.. Queen’s Gambit…?
    The best from last year imo!

Cougar

I’ve only heard of Devs out of that lot, that’s on my list.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Gawd, Wandavision is pish.

Its like 35 minutes of ‘classic comedy’ filler followed by 20 seconds of some (decent-ish) plot and then the end credits. Its literally a 2 minute show spread out over 8 episodes. Got a young yoof who loves all things Marvel (and Wanda in particular) and she can’t stand it.

Can see how if ‘might’ tie into House of M stuff but its hard watching it.

somafunk

Devs is brilliant, so is Queens Gambit as they grabbed and kept my attention throughout, within a few minutes of pressing “play” I was hooked – I can’t be the only one here who sits down to watch a new “latest & greatest” release without having the casual distraction of an iPad/phone etc readily available to hand – yeah, I admit its a failing on my part but then again there are some shows – I give you Discovery on Netflix…..That grabbed my attention right from the first few episodes despite never having watched Star Trek since the captain kirk days and especially hooked from when the mycelium network was discovered (I’m a big fan of the “original” mycologist Paul Stamets) but lately i’ve fallen away/lost interest in the story from Discovery and missed the last few episodes……….Hmmmm?………dunno where this soliloquy is going?……stares around………wanders away scratching arse……….

monkeyboyjc

I think that they have gone a bit too far with geekyness of the MCU fan – to the point where only the geeks get the show….. At least the first few episodes.

There’s loads of mini Easter egg clues, to the point where you have to research each part of your not a MCU geek.

I pick up a few here and there and then spend a couple mins after each episode googling them to find the other bits I missed…..

It makes so much more sense when your get the mini references. As mentioned earlier in the thread if you’ve read House of M it alot more understandable.

Tim
    Free Member

Found E1 & E2 a tough watch and nearly gave up, but E3 is starting to get the main story going properly. I’m hooked now, but I wonder if a lot of more casual viewers would have binned it off.

Like someone up there said, can absolutely see what they are doing, but it’s a brave bet to make 2 almost unwatchable episodes in order to build the narrative 😄

I usually like the Disney model of releasing week at a time. But for this series I think binging it could work quite well so all the little cues are fresh in your mind.

Followed all the MCU stuff, but never read a comic, so I’m finding watching some Easter egg videos after the episodes useful…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Gawd, Wandavision is pish.

It’s brilliant in its awfulness 😁

Defnly something I’d rather binge watch.

Cougar

I give you Discovery on Netflix…..That grabbed my attention right from the first few episodes

Curious. I thought ST: Discovery reinforced what I was saying earlier, the earlier episodes were comparatively weak. The Klingons were a terrible design choice and their storyline I found it difficult to care about. Once they’d sacked them off it got much better.

Again, IMHO etc.

martinhutch

I thought ST: Discovery reinforced what I was saying earlier, the earlier episodes were comparatively weak.

I think any Trek takes time to get going as building character takes time. Series 1 was OK, didn’t think they did a good job on the Klingons at all. Series 2 much better.

The half-hour format is part of the problem with Wandavision. Once you’ve made it look like the era-sitcom you’re homaging, that takes 20 mins of effort, leaving very little time for main arc stuff.

brads
    Free Member

Devs , what a find ! watched it recently and apart from the benefit of Lilly being in it, it was brilliant.

Oh, and did I mention Lilly ?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for mentioning Devs. Looked at the first episode yesterday and now I’m about to start Ep06.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Wandavision’ is closed to new replies.