Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Wandavision
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This is a bit like criticizing Star Wars without realizing it’s a kid’s movie. WandaVision was excellent family entertainment

Give over. The main themes were grief, loss, denial and an adult perspective on family and need. The antagonists represented greed and power. With a side of psychological torture. Not really kids material. Unless you mean that most of it was dumbed down to the point of banality. Perhaps kids are too naieve to be jaded with this crap. But you know what, I can watch and enjoy good kids films, even without kids – this wasn’t that. I really don’t like justifying crap by saying ‘it’s for kids’. What, so kids don’t deserve quality? They do, just different quality, and that should still be evident watching as an adult.

I mean I didn’t hate Wandavision, but it wasn’t special in the least. A bit like oven chips. Decent enough to eat and tasty, but not exactly Michelin star food.

Oh and Star Wars isn’t a kids’ film any more than Lord of the Rings is a kids’ book.

thols2

The main themes were grief, loss, denial and an adult perspective on family and need. The antagonists represented greed and power. With a side of psychological torture. Not really kids material.

That’s what adults see. Kids see a good guys versus bad guys story with some kick-ass action. That’s what makes it excellent family entertainment. Just like the best Pixar stuff – kids and parents see the same thing but get a completely different experience.

Edit: Also, Star Wars is really lame watching as an adult. It’s a kids’ movie.

molgrips
    Free Member

I disagree. Good kids’ stuff has an engaging story that draws you in and takes you on a journey of excitement, wonder and emotion, just like good adult stuff but simpler. I don’t think two aggressive baddies duking it out with super powers does any of that, tbh.

And I am thinking back to my own childhood here as well as my own two kids.

Edit: Also, Star Wars is really lame watching as an adult. It’s a kids’ movie.

It’s not lame for the adults in this house. Much of the content goes above kids’ heads though. Did it go above yours too? 🙂

thols2

Good kids’ stuff has an engaging story that draws you in and takes you on a journey of excitement, wonder and emotion, just like good adult stuff but simpler.

Sure. Kids are much more sophisticated than adults often realize. However, they lack the life experiences to understand a lot of the adult stuff in movies. For example, the perspectives of the parents in Inside Out.

Star Wars was a pretty good movie, but it doesn’t really have anything for adults that kids don’t see. It’s a kids’ movie. It’s much less sophisticated than Toy Story or Inside Out.

DezB
    Free Member

I forgot about Wandavision, funnily enough and just got back to it today. Just sat through 5 minutes of witches firing laser beams at each other and realised why I forgot it. Just dull. Back to Resident Alien.

FuzzyWuzzy

Good kids’ stuff has an engaging story that draws you in and takes you on a journey of excitement, wonder and emotion, just like good adult stuff but simpler. I don’t think two aggressive baddies duking it out with super powers does any of that, tbh.

Yes that sort of TV/film should be available for kid’s but it doesn’t mean it should be the only thing. There’s lot of stuff I used to enjoy watching as a kid that seems utter drivel if I watch it as an adult – doesn’t mean it’s bad though. Ofc a lot of kids would find two people flying about zapping spells at each other entertaining.

And yeah, Resident Alien is great!

Loughan
    Free Member

Not knowing what this was (i have not followed the super hero films in anyway), this then landed in my youtube feed and seems to sum it up for what i need to understand, interesting premise reduces down to a CGI snore-fest

Critical Drinker – Wandavision

Also Dundee gets a mention – yay!

mashr

DezB

I forgot about Wandavision, funnily enough and just got back to it today. Just sat through 5 minutes of witches firing laser beams at each other and realised why I forgot it. Just dull. Back to Resident Alien.

I watched it all, but only because I had invested too much time waiting for it to get good to give up (still waiting). I can imagine that if you’re right into the Marvel stuff its great, otherwise it’s just another “interesting premise reduces down to a CGI snore-fest”

molgrips
    Free Member

Star Wars was a pretty good movie, but it doesn’t really have anything for adults that kids don’t see.

Really?

It’s essentially a blend of three things – a war film, a western, and a martial arts movie, written at a time where two of those things were mainstream and one was not. So there’s a lot of commentary about the subversion of democracy and essentially Nazism. This is played up more in the prequels with the political wranglings and the most recent three – the opening scene of TFA is chillingly familiar to anyone who’s read reports of Rwandan style genocide. The post-conflict economy on Jakku is a poigniant example of the abuse of power where people have no options; relevant to today’s political climate. The lessons Yoda tries to give Luke in ESB are actually quite profound and whilst a bit cliched to us now were pretty new to a 70s audience. There’s a lot to discuss, because there is a lot of material in it, especially over all nine films.

Coyote
    Free Member

When do the closing credit scenes occur? I’ve watched 1 – 5 and can’t see any in the credits.

martinhutch

They start popping up in the later episodes. Sometimes they sneak in two, which is annoying…

As for the debate on the overall quality, it wasn’t exactly epoch-shattering, but it was diverting and I enjoyed it, just like the Mandalorian. It’s not like it’s jostling for room with loads of other good telly right now.

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t miss anything by not seeing them, they add nothing to what is an already pretty haphazard storyline as far as I can tell. I think it’s for the nerds to get their kicks from “easter eggs” and other references to stuff in the Marvel films that no normal people give a toss about.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I enjoyed Wandavision on the whole but a big chunk of the last Ep left me cold. The just bigger and bigger crashes in the Visions fighting sequences got boring but the big shock for me was my reaction to Agatha.
    Superheroes like Wanda I can handle but along comes Agatha with the same powers but she’s a witch and witches are for soppy girls right? Took me a bit of time to realise how illogical my attitude was.

bluebird
    Free Member

I think confused is the fairest way to sum it up. For me it was too focussed on the kitsch style and twee humour. Then any ‘serious’ bits jarred with that tone. GOTG pulled off humour and action brilliantly, but this was just a bit of a mess.

chakaping
    Free Member

Critical Drinker – Wandavision

That’s good. Very much reflects my own thoughts on the wasted premise and confused morality.

Has to be acknowledged that there was some really excellent work done on the pastiche elements and some great scriptwriting and acting in the earlier episodes particularly, but it felt like it got hijacked by nervous execs and forced into a standard comic book bollocks template.

nickc

You don’t miss anything by not seeing them

If you miss the one where Vision gets rebuilt, his turn-up in the last Ep makes little sense…

chakaping
    Free Member

If you miss the one where Vision gets rebuilt, his turn-up in the last Ep makes little sense…

I can vouch for this.

DezB
    Free Member

Easily explained by “pretty haphazard storyline ” 😛

verses

I enjoyed Wandavision on the whole but a big chunk of the last Ep left me cold. The just bigger and bigger crashes in the Visions fighting sequences got boring

Not many superhero fights end with philosophical debates 😀

I think there’s a lot of nit-picking in this thread, it was never going to be the next Sopranos/Wire/Band of Brothers/etc, but it was an enjoyable comic-book romp, and one that took a few “brave” steps away from the normal mould at times.

thols2

Has to be acknowledged that there was some really excellent work done on the pastiche elements and some great scriptwriting and acting in the earlier episodes particularly, but it felt like it got hijacked by nervous execs and forced into a standard comic book bollocks template.

It’s a big budget comic book TV adaptation. Tomorrow we’ll have the next Marvel TV series premiere. It’ll be fun, but it’s just a comic with human actors. VandaVision was fun, but now it’s just last week’s comic.

letmetalktomark

I enjoyed Wandavision ….. it was different.

The last episode was a little meh though.

Over the weekend I started Resident Alien – very funny and Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

The latter I was hoping I might be able to watch with our 9 year old like we did the Mandalorian. Watched the first episode on my own first and that’s a negative 🙂 not 9 year old content!

I enjoyed it though!

akira

I think wandavision ended up taking itself a bit too seriously, hoping Falcon Winter Soldier is a bit more dead pan.

thols2

hoping Falcon Winter Soldier is a bit more dead pan.

I watched Ep 1. Seems like a pretty standard Marvel story. I wouldn’t watch it if my kid wasn’t a Marvel fan, whereas Wandavision was interesting up until the final episode, when it turned into a routine Marvel superhero battle.

molgrips
    Free Member

I enjoyed Wandavision ….. it was different.

I thought it was the same old stuff!

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Wandavision’ is closed to new replies.