Home Forums Bike Forum Wales Coast to Coast – Buchanan route

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wales Coast to Coast – Buchanan route
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I keep seeing this mentioned all over the internet and the links all point to davebuchanan.co.uk but the site’s expired.

So – does anyone have a GPX? It has to be my next project.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I have it (well Dave just sent it to me). Here it is on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4N37ty5kpsM21lcWRnLWsybnc/view?usp=sharing

Shout if it doesn’t work for you

si77

If that’s the Caernarfon Castle to Cardiff Bay route, I may be able to assist.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta greyspoke. Although it appears to be a double 8O

It differs in the Beacons – the Gap or the Taff Trail – which is more official?

Actually there are a few diversions…

si77

I did the Taff Trail. Much easier than the GAP in that direction, especially after 20+ hours of riding.

The tricky bit is Tirabad to Sennybridge. You need to coincide with a non-firing day if you want to stick to the proper route.

greyspoke
    Free Member

That route is the one Dave did for his Guinness record (“there and back” hence the Hobbit’s Tale). He got as far as Llyn Brianne on the way back and fell asleep. But he did finish after a bit of a kip. It is a better route, you would follow the “back” route for the classic Carenarfon Castle to the Celtic Ring in Cardiff bay, so the Taff Trail on the way back.

Here is the earlier version of the one-way C2C:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4N37ty5kpsSl9Yd2x3OVpRM00/view?usp=sharing

But not sure whether there is an official one, Matt Page did the Hobbit version North-South I think and has the record for that (can’t remember what, but under 24h I think).

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta.

Next summer maybe.

Will be nice to be able to finish at home :)

si77

Think the record’s 18 hours ish. Which is impressive.

I found the push up to Climachx hard-going and the descent a bit of a risk to the rest of the ride – passed 3 other riders with broken bikes as I minced my way down, (and yes, I did ask if they needed help).

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know most of those trails in the Northern half. Haven’t been to Climachx either.

I’d be on rigid. I might’ve saved up enough for a plus front wheel by then though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wales Coast to Coast – Buchanan route’ is closed to new replies.