Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • Videos in threads…
  • Mark

Update. For full members the house video unit has been removed. But only temporarily.
    It will be back, but full members will be able to opt out of seeing the video player.

I know you want to ask why?
    Well the Humix video player is used across our site to present and monetise our video content but up until now it has been disabled from view of our full members as it is part of the system that provides ads to the site from our supplier Ezoic. The accommodate the no ads to our full members part we simply deactivate Ezoic completely for full members. That presents a problem for us editorially as we then need to embed a separate Youtube video placement into our editorial content in order for our full members to see it. This is technically very inefficient as it means when we lay out a story we have to insert the video twice. Once for free members and guests and again for full members via a Youtube embed.

So, why not just use Youtube?

Because it doesn’t monetise as well as Humix. Also, we can’t strip the ads out of the Youtube videos for full members, but we now can using Humix. So, it makes lots of sense that we use just a single platform for our video content across the site. It’s better for full members if we do that as we can take the ads out and it’s better for us as we earn more money than we do from Youtube.

The videos in the forum are back for all but full members now. They will appear after the second post in the forum for full members likely in a week or two from now but full members will be able to switch them off if they want from their account preferences.

And finally, I appreciate the opinions from some about what is considered an ad and what is not. For the removal of doubt any content created by our editorial team is not considered an ad by us – you may disagree. Classifieds are definitely ads but we imagine you wouldn’t want us to turn those off to full members.

As full members, by default, you don’t see display ads delivered through our ad delivery systems. You may see an ad in a newsletter, even the members only ones where we have a sponsor for that newsletter. Similarly if we mix a sponsors message into a podcast then everyone will get that. The podcast episode we embed on our site and make visible only to our full members have the auto ads at the start middle and end removed, but there still may be a sponsor for the episode.

Also, full members get ads in their magazines.

scotroutes

Tell you what, make it opt-in. Those who want video spam need only flick a virtual switch.

And finally, I appreciate the opinions from some about what is considered an ad and what is not. For the removal of doubt any content created by our editorial team is not considered an ad by us – you may disagree. Classifieds are definitely ads but we imagine you wouldn’t want us to turn those off to full members.

How can you be so effing disingenuous? I’m pretty sure we all know the difference between the Classified section and spammed ads. Seriously, it’s these sorts of responses that make me question why I subscribe at all.

full members get ads in their magazines.

There’s a magazine?

rOcKeTdOg

Tell you what, make it opt-in. Those who want video spam need only flick a virtual switch

+1

bearnecessities

This virtual playground is the livelihood of many people.

All trying to make the right decisions.

They make not get it right, but remember rule number one.

scotroutes

but remember rule number one.

Yes, they should

the-muffin-man

…there’s a Classifieds!!?? 😱😱😱

Aren’t these rainbow wheels lovely lovely wheels, just look at them, bet you’d like to stroke them – yeah, not an advert. Look squirrel 👉👉 🐿️🐿️

Drac

How can you be so effing disingenuous? I’m pretty sure we all know the difference between the Classified section and spammed ads. Seriously, it’s these sorts of responses that make me question why I subscribe at all.

That was a clear response claiming the videos were adverts. Mark has come responded to gripes in this thread, they’ve taken action and have been open and honest about their policy. Yet some how you seem to think it’s Ok to speak them like that. Would you tolerate such behaviour from a customer?

scotroutes

Do you think anyone on this forum doesn’t know the difference between the Classified section and an in-stream video ad?

roverpig

I’m another one who didn’t like these so am glad to see they have gone. Thanks. I didn’t bother commenting earlier as nobody else seemed to like them either so I was confident they wouldn’t last. Opting out is ok by me but I certainly will.

The videos themselves aren’t adverts but inserting them into threads is a form of (self) advertising. It’s like the way I can’t listen to a podcast on BBC sounds without having to listen to “adverts” for other podcasts. So consequently I don’t listen to a lot of BBC podcasts that I used to enjoy.

Drac

Do you think anyone on this forum doesn’t know the difference between the Classified section and an in-stream video ad?

The difference between an advert and media post on a media page? Evidently yes.

DickBarton

I’m all for making things easier and more efficient for editorial stuff. The monetary benefit of Humix sounds sensible as well.

My only grumble now would be the opt-out option…nowadays the norm is opt-in for things that way the user is signalling they want whatever it is.

I suspect many of us will be opting out, but I also guess that more would opt-in if it was the option.

However, grumbling is all good as it does sound as though things are progressing and improving in other areas.

ads678

I wouldn’t say the videos were ads, but I’d definitely put them in spam bracket.

I’ll be opting out, as they’re really annoying.

blokeuptheroad

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking Mark. I’m not totally convinced, but I get that it’s your train set. I too will be opting out to avoid the creeping local news website aesthetic, but it feels to me that making it opt in would have been a fairer way to do it.

Cougar

My only grumble now would be the opt-out option…nowadays the norm is opt-in for things that way the user is signalling they want whatever it is.

I expect that the reasoning behind that decision is fairly obvious. The vast majority of people won’t be bothered to go fiddling about in their account settings regardless of the default setting. The difference in take-up between having it opt-in or opt-out will be massive.

This is exactly why GDPR now forbids automatically signing people up to stuff unless they take some sort of conscious action instead of just going “whatever” and hitting OK. But this isn’t a GDPR issue, it’s an interface customisation like the “fancy editor” switch. How many posts have you <DIV><SPAN> seen with spurious markup since the default was setting changed?

Escape rooms have been my ‘thing’ for a while, in that community it’s widely acknowledged that even the most vocal of enthusiasts are not the primary target audience for games. Similarly, for all the fury erupting today on this thread I doubt the folk posting here are representative of the wider userbase. Mostly, no-one will care.

And I’d bet my house that Mark knows this. That decision will have been deliberate because he’d have to be an idiot to do it the other way around, and whatever other flaws you may care to accuse him of he’s not an idiot.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Similarly, for all the fury erupting today on this thread I doubt the folk posting here are representative of the wider userbase.

Oh I can assure you it’s very likely.

Just us freeloaders haven’t said anything as we know fine we’d be shouted down. This is the end result of something that started a long time ago, enjoy the smug glory of your subs and don’t expect any backup next time you feel like you’re the ones being taken advantage of (or the time after that).

Cougar

You can assure what you like, but you’re guessing just as I am.

The typical ratio of passive : occasionally active : prolific contributors in a forum space is fairly well understood.

BadlyWiredDog

Personally I can cope with Youtube video inserts in threads – I get that monetising online editorial businesses is hard – but the autoplay stuff does my head in. I’m quite capable of deciding whether I’m interested in a video, I don’t need it to start playing for me. I know this is the modern way as per Netflix etc, but there’s something massively jarring about being focussed on one thing – a forum thread – which is very much internalised and being dragged out of it by moving images.

It’s a bit like trying to read a novel and watch television at the same time, which I think it is why it’s irking people so much and nuanced arguments about it being ‘advertising’ or not are a little misleading.

I actually welcome being told about the latest ST videos, but I don’t need to have it shouted metaphorically in my ear every time I open a thread.

a11y

I was about to type out a response to Mark’s explanation, but @blokeuptheroad’s post matches my thoughts 100%:

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking Mark. I’m not totally convinced, but I get that it’s your train set. I too will be opting out to avoid the creeping local news website aesthetic, but it feels to me that making it opt in would have been a fairer way to do it.

STW is a welcome distraction from work/life/wife and I do understand the need for it to work financially, but some of the changes like this worry me.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m a free loader too so take my 2 pence with a pinch of salt.

I thought Marks response was very good. It fully explained the reasons behind what’s happened, what he’s done about it, what’s going to happen in the future and how to fix it. He needs to make money to keep the business going and for people like me to use this forum for free.

As for the extra effort having to log into settings and change something, it’s hardly difficult or time consuming. I’ve just spent nearly 30 minutes reading these 3 pages.

Ps I love a good flounce but I miss captain flashheart pointing them all out. Well done @tomhoward for picking up the baton, it did make me laugh. 🤣

Cougar

For what it’s worth,

A couple of people have mentioned “freeloading” now. There’s nothing wrong with being a Free Member if that’s what you choose to do, despite the protestations of like two people (“shouted down”? Oh come on). What grates is those who boast about blocking adverts one minute and then complain about the site the next.

blokeuptheroad

What grates is those who boast about blocking adverts one minute and then complain about the site the next.

Not sure if that’s aimed at me? I did mention (not ‘boasted’) earlier in the thread that I use an adblocker on my chromebook and not my phone.

An observation. Looking at the same threads on my phone and chromebook, the videos only show on my phone.  Although thinking about it, this might be because I’m running an adblocker on the Chromebook?

Not intended for this site, which shouldn’t require the use of one as I subscribe – but for the rest of my web use. I mentioned it only because I’d switched it off and on to see the effects on the embedded video.

the-muffin-man

I’m not sure the ‘opt-out’ feature for paying members would have been an option were it not for this thread.

Yak

Not sure if that’s aimed at me? I did mention (not ‘boasted’) earlier in the thread that I use an adblocker on my chromebook and not my phone.

Might have been me? I asked about them, but obviously that’s wrong and I got warned.

Anyway Mark’s explanation is fine and at the same time BadlyWiredDog’s post also reflect my thoughts. I too will happily click on a video to watch, but dislike them autoplaying. For me it’s not quite like trying to watch tv and read a book. It’s more like reading a book and then someone wanders into the room and turns the tv on. Yeah, it might the next best mega-noir- drama and I might want to watch it. But more likely I will want to watch it later, after I have finished reading.

Drac

Ps I love a good flounce but I miss captain flashheart pointing them all out.

Ironic.

Cougar

Not sure if that’s aimed at me?

It wasn’t specifically aimed at anyone, I’m referring back to comments that have been made on previous threads and I couldn’t tell you who by if my life depended on it.

In any case, I see little moral issue with a Full Member running an ad blocker. There should be nothing to block, right?

I asked about them, but obviously that’s wrong and I got warned.

Promoting their use is against the site T&Cs, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

Cougar

(and in case you missed it earlier: video autoplay is a setting in your browser which you can switch off)

scc999

(and in case you missed it earlier: video autoplay is a setting in your browser which you can switch off)

Seemingly not in Chrome any longer – you can mute audio but they removed the setting to stop autoplay. At least from what I can see. Which is A) a shame and B) not someting STW is responsible for.

I’m another one that will be turning these off in settings. Nt sure if I would have left it on if they didn’t just start playing but I’d have been less likely to go hunting for the kill switch initially for sure.

the-muffin-man

Promoting their use is against the site T&Cs, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

I didn’t see anyone promoting them – people were making arguments that continued cluttering of the forum may make people look to other solutions – the clean look of this forum is the big draw for many users.

blokeuptheroad

Seemingly not in Chrome any longer – you can mute audio but they removed the setting to stop autoplay.

Yep, I spent ages searching for it in my Chrome settings after Cougar’s suggestion, to no avail.  I suspect we’ll be advised to use a different browser, but rightly or wrongly I’m pretty committed to the Google universe and Chrome on all my devices with contacts, bookmarks, password manager, android auto settings etc.so it would be a PITA to use another just for one site.  Anyway, hopefully it will be unnecessary if we get the promised opt out function.

Cougar

Well, that’s irritating.

dyna-ti

TBH Im not really bothered. Distracting ? yes they are a bit, and maybe a good compromise might be that they dont play automatically, so you need to at least hit play to see them.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well, that’s irritating.

Though less so than the auto playing videos which make it desirable.

leffeboy

autoplay videos really ARE irritating.  They are distracting and annoying if I’m sitting reading something.  Like someone waving from a corner to distract me when I’m doing something else.  As long as we can switch them off I’m happy and that is what we have bean told is coming.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, auto play videos are a real turn off for me. At least the sound is muted…

I decided to forego my full membership (once the COVID shutdown thing was mainly finished) as I didn’t really read the mag (and the saving to digital only didn’t seem that beneficial) when the site was throwing me adverts and whatever.

Bottom line is I no longer value the ‘utility’ of the forum enough (due mainly to the COVID belligerence and ‘culture warriors’ of the current user group). So resubscription isn’t going to happen.

I could ‘fix’ the problem (but my post would no doubt get deleted) but if I’m honest I can’t be arsed. So my visiting will be further reduced. As I can hear the worlds smallest violin starting up I’m sure you’ll all be able to hold back the tears…

andytherocketeer

AFAIAC videos should never autoplay unless it’s something like Youtube where I’ve intentionally clicked on that vid. Even Autoplay next video should never happen, unless I had actually clicked on a playlist.

Don’t recall where the setting is in Chrome, mainly cos I use Brave now. The setting is slightly hidden away. Can set the default either way and then blacklist or whitelist sites.

I’ve not even seen any vids yet. Dunno if that’s my logged-in-ness or the default setting of my browser binning trackers etc.

For one other forum, also related to MTB, I simply disabled Javascript. Just need to re-enable it to post, but then I never post, so that’s not exactly a massive issue.

Will be seriously cheesed off if my mobile data limit gets hit when I’m away, and need it for stuff like train ticket etc. I got the 80% warning message the other day and had to take precautionary action. 1 single domain was guilty of about 55% of my monthly data last month, and it wasn’t Youtube, Google, Gmail, Yahoo mail, Polar GPS syncing, Garmin, Snowheads, Deutsche Bahn App, DHL App,… 😉
    Fortunately today is the 1st of the month.

Cougar

AFAIAC videos should never autoplay unless it’s something like Youtube where I’ve intentionally clicked on that vid. Even Autoplay next video should never happen, unless I had actually clicked on a playlist.

I don’t disagree. But I understand why sites do it.

The ones that really irritate me are the ones that pop up in a smaller window in the corner of the screen if you try and scroll past them. Doubly so when you’ve got to play a fun game of Guess Where We’ve Hidden The Close Button Today.

masterdabber
    Free Member

All this advert related stuff (which I’ve been following and then I find this page on STW which includes an advert link to our French house which we’re selling.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oEsvnn]Screenshot (85)[/url] by Derek Jordan, on Flickr

leffeboy

Then I find this page on STW which includes an advert link to our French house which we’re selling.

ooo, quality stealth ad.  Now I’m not completely sure you are a real person and not stw sneakily inserting ads as posts…

masterdabber
    Free Member

, quality stealth ad.  Now I’m not completely sure you are a real person and not stw sneakily inserting ads as posts…

No, really, it’s me and not trying to advertise here as it wouldn’t exactly be targeted. Just amazed when I glanced at the sidebar and found our house. Weird. 🙂

Drac

Not regally. You visit STW and you visit that site and probably looked at your property.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.