Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)
  • Videos in threads…
  • oceanskipper

Seem to have promotions for STW videos slotted in the threads – not a fan. That is all.

leffeboy

Yeah, thought I had logged out for a moment there.  One of the reasons I pay is to have a clean forum.  Is this one of those adventure games where i now have to wander round the site looking for where to click to switch it off

I really really don’t like walking round the streets and having videos playing at me all the time and it’s the same here.  It’s nice to not always be in a space where things are shouting ‘look here’, ‘no look here’.

Hopes there is a turn off button.  Grabs staff, puts on cape, heads north towards caves

weeksy

Woah…. yes indeed…

tthew

Entirely agree with what Leffeboy said on the matter. I’m going to e-mail Mark later with my thoughts on it, I assume that will have more impact than just moaning on this thread. I pay for no advertising,  and even though this is for STW’s own product, it’s still an advert.

weeksy

Entirely agree with what Leffeboy said on the matter. I’m going to e-mail Mark later with my thoughts on it, I assume that will have more impact than just moaning on this thread. I pay for no advertising, and even though this is for STW’s own product, it’s still an advert

I’m going to say it’s not deliberate and someone clicked a button in the wrong place 🙂

oceanskipper

Oh and they don’t load so you just see an irritating spinning circle…🙄

tthew

I’m going to say it’s not deliberate and someone clicked a button in the wrong place 🙂

Well if that’s the case, I’m sure I’ll receive a quick, contrite reply and this will all be sorted out by dinner time. 👍

oceanskipper

Prob should have posted in the members forum actually but forgot about it!

bruneep

I’m going to say it’s not deliberate and someone clicked a button in the wrong place

I’m going with its deliberate as a”trial”  to see how much they can get away with adverts paid product placement

sc-xc

It’s not good. I can live with the adverts disguised as news stories that get posted as forum threads (like the recent Cube advertorial) as they are easier to just ignore. This feels like it’s taking a leaf out of the Reach/local newspaper website book.

oceanskipper

tthew

Unfortunately Oceanskipper, they play absolutely fine for me! That could be the effect of an ad-blocker or some browser setting.

oceanskipper

They play sometimes but not others. Scrolling up and down makes them play sometimes. This on Safari iOS. Works reliably on Edge W11 on same network.

EDIT – working more often than not currently.

blokeuptheroad

Woah, that’s a bit in your face! Intrusive and annoying.

scotroutes

I’ve just emailed the Tech team asking for that to be removed. Likely they’ll have to ask the boss/dad first.

jeffl

Yep just like the random local newspaper websites. Auto playing videos across the middle of the content. Really jarring and annoying.

At least they don’t always show at the top of the screen when you scroll down.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Desperate attempt to up the view count on videos? It’s not going to be popular.

blokeuptheroad

An observation. Looking at the same threads on my phone and chromebook, the videos only show on my phone.  Although thinking about it, this might be because I’m running an adblocker on the Chromebook?

nickc

Don’t mind, pause to see if its something interesting, scroll past otherwise. No biggie for me.

the-muffin-man

Another ‘not a fan’ here.

I pay so I don’t have to see this type of promotion.

I’m not a fan of the every increasing side-bar either >>>>>>>>>

a11y

Argh, no. I don’t need another thing that makes the forum less discreet to browse from a populated office…

Please, can we have a button/option to stop the videos appearing?

Drac

We’ve asked about this. I suspect Full Members shouldn’t see this.

andybrad

Nope, poor.

ampthill

I’d quite like my subscription to make me add free

tthew

We’ve asked about this. I suspect Full Members shouldn’t see this.

Fair enough, I’ll not send my shitogram* until we get an update then.

* I’d have been unfailing polite actually.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

It’s more annoying that it’s on every thread I open.

Think the web designer has gone to the Homer Simpson web design school.

blokeuptheroad

Although thinking about it, this might be because I’m running an adblocker on the Chromebook?

Yep.  Just tried pausing the adblocker on the chromebook and up pops the video.  Looks like I need one on my phone too.

thenorthwind

Plus one for “this is annoying as ***”
    I assume it’s another one of those getting more people to look at more stuff things, but it’s having the opposite effect on me: it’s just pushing me back towards what I should be doing sooner. Good for my productivity, anyway.

the-muffin-man

They seem to be gone now.

Thank you!

blokeuptheroad

^^ Not for me, still there.

weeksy

Yes, still here.

the-muffin-man

Back for me too!! Grrrrrr…

…thanks withdrawn!

chrismac

Still here and still annoying

sharkbait
    Free Member

Still on my phone (opera) but not on my PC (Chrome).

Ars Technica put videos in their articles and it’s really annoying when you start playing them by mistake – at least these aren’t loading for me.

Bike video’s in the forum that’s about anything but bikes……. right 🤔

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yeah not a fan at all. Lots of mobile use for me so really not keen on anything like video being embedded

leffeboy

Hold on, they have stopped.

They have indeed.  Thank you very much web folks

andybrad

logged out and back in and they are gone. Thanks

lister

Still there for me, even after logging out and back in…

Yak

They are back 🙁

hightensionline

Still here for me. Logged back in on Chrome, Firefox et al.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.