Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • ULTRA reliable forks (not Marzocchi's) with decent damping £200-350
  • hora
    Free Member

That DONT cost the earth. Any recommendations?

I wouldn’t touch Marzocchi’s, even if I was a pro team rider.

I’d love a set of Fox 36 floats (open bath) but they are quite old now.

Fox 32 Floats are quite flexy with the 15QR?

LoCo
    Free Member

Sektor Coil.

bland

Old Z1’s from Italy

Oh wait, you have already decided against the ones that will last a lifetime over disposable fox’s

wors

Sektor Air

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Deja vu? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Which one has controlled damping? I must admit I’m pissed off with Windwave. The TST cart failed within one month from new. So with the replaced one (I admit) I shimmed stacked it. Its failed again. They don’t repair, only replace. Now- a shim stack doesn’t kill forks. I was honest that they’d been modded and I’d pay but throwing £180 at 55’s? Not a chance.

Oh wait, you have already decided against the ones that will last a lifetime over disposable fox’s

rare though aren’t they now?

LoCo
    Free Member

No, changed my mind Kona P2’s, Hora you are a liability with bouncy forks 😉
    or
    the sektors and I’ll seal them shut so you can’t get in them 😀

binners

Lets look at a familiar chain of events, shall we?

1) Buy product, which works perfectly, and nobody else ever has any issues with
    2) Decide to ‘modify’, ‘service’, ‘adjust’ or ‘fix’ said fully functioning product.
    3) Swear profusely at now broken product
    4) Make yet another warranty claim
    5) Return to 1) and repeat….

Now, have we learnt anything today children?

hora
    Free Member

1) Buy product, which works perfectly, and nobody else ever has any issues with

Everyone has issues with Marzocchi ATA and TST2’s. They are design-flawed and pony.

2) Decide to ‘modify’, ‘service’, ‘adjust’ or ‘fix’ said fully functioning product.

After they’d already broken once within weeks of riding.

yossarian
    Free Member

at least he has a beautiful penis

binners

Every cloud eh yossarian? 😆

hora
    Free Member

I can show you it tonight Binners 😉

tmb467
    Free Member

where do Fox 36 Vans sit in this debate? (R, not RC2?)

too old? not good enough? overkill?

wwaswas

did I see a post saying hora was considering fitting a shim stack to his prostate as he didn’t like the OEM design?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How about a pair of Orange aniversary Z1’s, ohh wait I already sold you those (and regretted it ever since) 😛

hora
    Free Member

tmb467 they are good forks. The thing is as time progresses they people sell them when they need a service/wear and tear etc etc. I’d love 36’s – coil or float.

I’ve been down the secondhand fork route before and its hit and miss. You can get honestly describe or pups that shine up.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m just about to put a set of little used Sektor Coil forks on fleabay.

150mm with u-turn travel adjust. EDIT 15mm Maxle lite.

email in profile. I’ve sold a few bits on here, and I can point you to my ebay account for a bit of re-assurance. I’m near Derby and get to the Peaks from time to time if that’s any use.

And can provide you with my works email (Govt Dept).

binners

Looks like I’m in for a treat this evening 😀

crofts2007
    Free Member

Pace RC31’s
    Light as …..
    and ultra low maintenance.
    Do they still do stems with some damping in them?

crofts2007
    Free Member

Got the Sektor U turns (as above) on my Turner, ran for two years, two services and not broke yet.

tmb467
    Free Member

cheers hora

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some X-Fusion Velvet RLs for £350… good reviews, but not sure about reliability yet, but internals are metal as opposed to the plastic they put in Rock Shox (according to a learned friend) so ‘should’ fare better.

They’re replacing a set of Rock Shox Revelations that you sold me a few years ago. they have served me very well but need a service and new seals as they leak from the compression damper – they’re going on another bike.

hora
    Free Member

Mary Hinge YGM (in profile).

batman11
    Free Member

X fusion can’t recommend them enough.
    Buddy’s ride the velvets and I’ve been riding some vengences love em.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve got 2009 36 Float RC2’s and 2010 Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti’s which have been very reliable. I bought them both cheap due to the 1.5″ steerer… love a bargain me. Of the two the Marz is the better feeling fork and at only 250g more than the Float it’s the one I prefer.

I paid less then this person is looking for now.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1262947/

I can see these becoming a classic.

I do fancy trying the upgrade to Avalanche Racing internals though.

hora
    Free Member

I saw them. Back in 2010 they were selling at £450!

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Mark yhm

ndthornton
    Free Member

Fox float 36
    Great stiffness – Great Damping – great reliability

But youd have to go secong hand to stay in your price range – I did this and was fine.

Id think twice about fox 32’s in hindsight- Mine suffer from stanchion wear and need regular servicing. I think they allow dirt past the seals when they flex (which is often and alot) and there’s not enough oil in em to adaquately lube the sponges.

Fox 34s are probably good too but not tried

hora
    Free Member

Id think twice about fox 32’s in hindsight- Mine suffer from stanchion wear and need regular servicing. I think they allow dirt past the seals when they flex (which is often and alot) and there’s not enough oil in em to adaquately lube the sponges.

Actually thats probably a good descriptor for why the wear occurs more on the 32’s.

I ran 36 floats for almost two years in the Peaks- all I ever did was oil on stanchions/cycle forks and wipe after a few rides. Lovely forks and no flex.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Mary Hinge YGM (in profile).

Replied with photos. Meant to say 1 1/8 steerer, 225mm long.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve been offered new Fox 36 Van R’s by my LBS for 500…should I?

(Never had a prob with Fox. My first forks in 2001 were the brand new to market Fox 125 vanillas 😀 )

Northwind

Van R for £500? No. Pretty basic, too expensive.

If you want a bruiser fork, sprung lyriks, otherwise sprung Sektors (and throw in some better damping kit if you want). TBH Revelations are also highly reliable.

And yes, long travel 32 floats are pretty damn flexy, always seems like an XC fork stretched too far.

hora
    Free Member

On the merlin email waiting list for coil sektor rl’s..

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Fwiw my rebas have been Damn near bullet proof.

Impressive given my 120kgs (20+ stone).

st

My coil Lyriks, used but sub £300. Details of my ad in my posting history…

hora
    Free Member

Ygm

takisawa2

There’s not a lot to go wrong inside a set of coil Sektors, surely…is there ?

granny_ring

Dont be surprised if you have to get a firmer spring for the sektors.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

How about these?Good quality, stiff even with a 15mm QR, lots of low speed damping & in your budget?

hora
    Free Member

Loco at a later date… how much to upgrade the sektor coil rl?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘ULTRA reliable forks (not Marzocchi's) with decent damping £200-350’ is closed to new replies.