Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,561 through 7,600 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
    fasgadh
    Free Member

“Good luck to Keir Starmer, he has some little shoes to fill.”

If this election had happened in 2022, he would have had some big colourful shoes to fill

devash
    Free Member

Super happy today. The acceptance speech was the icing on the cake.

One thing Starmer needs to do immediately is open up all the No. 10 closets to look for the skeletons, set up commissions to see where it went wrong with the Tories, dig up the buried reports, and fully enact Leverson. What they (the previous government) have been able to get away with should never, ever be allowed to happen again.

Drain the swamp indeed.

Poopscoop

DUP had a bad night too.

Such a shame.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve got my money on Braverman. Literally, at 9/1

I got 11/1 for her the other day :D

Daffy

Tugendhat like Hunt is probably too moderate for where the Tories are right now. What happens with the Tories will depend on what happens with Reform and what happens with reform will depend on immigration and what happens on immigration might come down to what happens in France.

If immigration becomes a non-issue, the Conservatives will move to the centre, if not, they’ll likely stay to the right.

convert

That Johnathan Pie “Thank You” vid a page or two back…..

I’m not much of a facebook user/poster and don’t think I’ve posted anything political since Brexit. But thought it mild enough and jolly enough I posted it earlier…..I’ve now got 4 less Facebook friends than I had this morning – and I’ve only got a couple of hundred!

So I’d recommend it – want to flush out a bitter tory today hiding in your friends list – excellent bleach.

ernielynch

If immigration becomes a non-issue, the Conservatives will move to the centre, if not, they’ll likely stay to the right.

Why …… didn’t the Tories lose considerably more seats to the LibDems than they did to Reform UK?

It would be daft for the Tories to let Nigel Farage call the tune when it is the Liberal Democrats that they need to win the most seats back from.

Sandwich

poverty
    housing
    social care
    NHS
    left behind areas, closed down high streets

The beauty of it is that if these (above) are funded correctly this

immigration

becomes unimportant and more migrants will be required for items 3 & 4.

piemonster
    Free Member

So I’d recommend it – want to flush out a bitter tory today hiding in your friends list – excellent bleach.

An non invasive enema for Tories

Daffy

Yes, but they lost those seats as reform took their vote share. On average, they didn’t lose as much vote share to the LD as they did to reform. If Reform weren’y plundering their votes from the right, the Conservatives would have almost free reign and could campaign in the centre, thus attracting LD votes.

intheborders
    Free Member

“I didn’t find the speech inspiring at all. Nothing about what he will change, just politics is moving back to serving the public.”

So you’d prefer what we’ve had recently then, where it wasn’t serving the people – each to their own…

binners

One thing Starmer needs to do immediately is open up all the No. 10 closets to look for the skeletons, set up commissions to see where it went wrong with the Tories, dig up the buried reports, and fully enact Leverson.

@devash
    – I’d heard that one of the first thing Starmer intends to do is re-establish a geuine ministerial code and proper independent democratic oversight of the political process, all of which has been so completely trashed under the casual constitutional vandalism of Boris Johnson. Apparently its all ready to go.

Given the huge majority I suspect any Labour MP who isn’t squeaky clean will find the whip withdrawn pretty sharpish. If Starmer wants to achieve anything (which he clearly does) then establishing trust with voters after the completely normalised corruption and cronyism of the last 14 years is critical! The country is crying out for proper governance by competent people who take their public duty seriously

kilo

“DUP had a bad night too.

Such a shame.”

Good night for SF too.

kimbers

“I think Kier Starmer’s been a rubbish PM so far. He’s done nothing to cut costs for hardworking families, done nothing for Palestine, and done nothing on climate change. What was the point? I’m voting Reform next time.”

Youre joking but genuine conversation with my mum last weekend (shes voted brexit & tory the last 3 elections)

‘Ill give Labour 6 months and if they cant fix things thats it’

I pointed out that the Tories have been in for 14 years and everything has got much much worse, but I wasnt going to push it as the fact that she’d abandoned the Tories was good enough for me

Poopscoop

I’d heard that one of the first thing Starmer intends to do is re-establish a geuine ministerial code and proper independent democratic oversight of the political process

Aka Tice’s and Nigel’s worst nightmare.

dazh

The UK is an outlier now in a western world drifting further and further right. I really hope the new Labour govt are going to be strong enough to fend off the coming storm.

It’s this sort of hubris that will enable the far right (Reform) . The UK isn’t an outlier, it’s on exactly the same path as France et al, just a little bit behind. Starmer has time to prevent it, but he’s going to need to be a lot stronger and more ambitious on addressing inequality, rejecting the language and politics of blaming immigrants, drop the nonsense about secure borders, stop blaming minorities, and start aggressively making the case and introducing policy to create a progressive and inclusive country.

He won’t though, instead he’ll concede more ground to Farage by jumping on the anti-immigration bandwagon and joining in with the war on woke nonsense like every centrist idiot before him has done across Europe. You don’t beat fascists by agreeing with them, and yet that’s exactly what centrists always do.

binners

Good night for SF too.

Is it still too much to hope for that they actually start behaving like grown ups and actually take their seats at Westminster. Otherwise any electoral gains are completely and utterly pointless

Poopscoop

I didn’t find the speech inspiring at all. Nothing about what he will change, just politics is moving back to serving the public.

Many “inspiring” speeches were given by Johnson… backed up by bugger all actual work done.

Serving the public, that’s all I needed to hear.

binners

He won’t though, instead he’ll concede more ground to Farage by jumping on the anti-immigration bandwagon and joining in with the war on woke nonsense like every centrist idiot before him has done across Europe. You don’t beat fascists by agreeing with them, and yet that’s exactly what centrists always do.

I bet that sounded great in the common room! :D

chewkw
    Free Member

I think Kier Starmer’s been a rubbish PM so far. He’s done nothing to cut costs for hardworking families, done nothing for Palestine, and done nothing on climate change. What was the point? I’m voting Reform next time.

Too early to determine whether he is a capable PM.

Everyone should be given the chance to prove themselves, what’s the hurry?

In the meantime I am monitoring the petrol price and if it does not come down I know nothing change.

kilo

“Is it still too much to hope for that they actually start behaving like grown ups and actually take their seats at Westminster. Otherwise any electoral gains are completely and utterly pointless”

Abstentionism is a fundamental of republicanism, the first female MP ever elected to Westminster stood on a platform of abstentionism, so there’s little chance of a reversal. The idea of not being grown ups kind of illustrates how little british people understand about Irish politics, imo.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

‘Serving the public’ sounds pretty good to me.

dazh

I bet that sounded great in the common room!

That’s exactly what’s happening across Europe. We’re about one and a half parliamentary terms away from where France are right now. But yeah, lets carry on blaming immigrants and minorities and ignoring the real problem.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

‘Ill give Labour 6 months and if they cant fix things thats it’

In the big company I work for, you can’t even move a desk from side of the office to the other in six months.

The UK isn’t an outlier, it’s on exactly the same path as France et al, just a little bit behind.

Or possibly a little bit ahead. Hopefully we are coming out of the populist U-bend, having seen that it doesn’t work.

The beauty of it is that if these (above) are funded correctly this…immigration…becomes unimportant

This is magical thinking. It will never become unimportant that the UK and French governments allow organised crime groups to land 400 people a week without controls. It will never be sensible for the solution to low paid, low productivity jobs being enabling employers to do more of the same through more immigration. It will never be possible to build our way out of a housing crisis if the population  is growing half a million per annum.

Immigration isn’t going away as an issue based on economic growth or increased government spending or nicer vibes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Serving the public’ sounds pretty good to me.

Standard statement from all politicians, nothing new.  That’s their job.

If PM Starmer can get the petrol price down, he is heading in the right direction.

DrJ

Is it still too much to hope for that they actually start behaving like grown ups and actually take their seats at Westminster.

And that Bobby Sands – why didn’t he just get a proper meal in him?

Poopscoop

Standard statement from all politicians, nothing new. That’s their job.

Yet ignored for the last decade.

It needed to be said and it needs to be done.

He is aware of voter disillusion, mostly due to the Tory shit storm that threw muck over all politicians irrelevant of their party.

ernielynch

So it turns out that Labour got half a million less votes yesterday than they got in the disastrous 2019 general election.

And only 2% more votes.

That’s a very sobering thought ?

Thank **** for first-past-the-post, eh?

I hope it works as well next general election otherwise we might be fecked.

binners

That’s exactly what’s happening across Europe. We’re about one and a half parliamentary terms away from where France are right now. But yeah, lets carry on blaming immigrants and minorities and ignoring the real problem.

The counter argument to that is that after the utter shitshow of Brexit, where right wing populists promised the earth then delivered a 4% drop in GDP and years of chaos instead, last nights result – the ejection of a right wing rabble and only 4 seats for reform – show that the a majority of the UK electorate has had quite enough of that nonsense, thank you very much.

They’ve elected a governent of ‘centrist fundamentalists’ with a whacking great majority after all?

Thank christ!!!

MoreCashThanDash

Has the Russian Embassy moved to Clacton yet?

No, but his handlers can just row ashore from where the sub drops them off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently shares are doing rather well today for house builders

lets wait and see how long it is before scandal comes out of greasy £5 notes being passed starmers way,

Say goodbye to your local green belt :-)

MoreCashThanDash

Say goodbye to your local green belt

Again, not according to their manifesto. Are there no chips on another forum you want to go piss on?

pondo

So it turns out that Labour got half a million less votes yesterday than they got in the disastrous 2019 general election.

And only 2% more votes.

They got less votes AND more votes? Pretty impressive!

intheborders
    Free Member

Standard statement from all politicians, nothing new.

And something none of those you’ve supported have ever achieved – still not accepted that you’re the outlier?

Poopscoop

Say goodbye to your local green belt ?

It’s never really been about that, it’s about nimbyism. A vocal group around here are campaigning against an estate being built, though they all live on land that used to be orchards and arable.

I don’t see them demanding their houses are compulsorily purchased and knocked down to rewild their area…

“I’m alright Jack.”

dazh

Thank **** for first-past-the-post, eh?

Don’t be daft, we need to be giving Farage 100 MPs because you know, we must be fair to racists and fascists. :-/

dissonance

They got less votes AND more votes? Pretty impressive!

% is used for the voting share. So yes both make sense.

Its, probably, lucky reform ate away a lot of the tory vote (assuming what happened does match what appears to happen eg all their voters switching across).

I say probably because now farage will feel emboldened.

molgrips
    Free Member

the ejection of a right wing rabble and only 4 seats for reform – show that the a majority of the UK electorate has had quite enough of that nonsense, thank you very much.

The reason they only got 4 seats is FPTP. They got a shit-ton of actual votes.

chewkw
    Free Member

And something none of those you’ve supported have ever achieved – still not accepted that you’re the outlier?

I don’t know what they have achieved really.  Never keep track of their achievement apart from using the petrol price to keep track of their progress, Can’t get the petrol price down?  No achievement in my view. LOL!

Outlier? LOL!  I can support both Corbyn and Farage at the same time.

grimep
    Free Member

80% of eligible voters didn’t vote for Labour.

Democracy in name only.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,561 through 7,600 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.