Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,361 through 7,400 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • stumpy01

Grrrrr.
    So, South Holland and the Deepings voted to keep John Hayes, conservative nightmare, in his seat. it was always gonna be so, but his vote share dropped from 76% to 38%.
    Unfortunately, Reform were 2nd and it looks like most votes lost by Hayes, went to Reform.
    Labour were 3rd.

kormoran
    Free Member

35% of the vote got labour 65% of the seats

tjagain

thebunk

Labour has won 410 seats with a 33.9% share of the vote.”  what an indictment of our crap pseudo democracy.

Be careful for what you wish for. Those Reform numbers have put me right off PR

blokeuptheroad

35% of the vote got labour 65% of the seats

Makes a change. The Tories have benefited from the vagaries of FPTP in similar manner often enough in the past.

tjagain

Sunlight is a good disinfectant.  also people do NOT vote the same way in PR systems

avdave2

From the Gruaniad ” Labour has won 410 seats with a 33.9% share of the vote.”  what an indictment of our crap pseudo democracy.

Tories and reform have a higher percentage combined but with no real influence now. So not a great system and maybe the reason we have the polarised politics we do but be thankful for small mercies

chewkw
    Free Member

Only slept for 3 hours.

Now the start of another era with Starmer leading.

Didn’t realise Miliband is still around until he appeared for the interview. Crikey.

kormoran
    Free Member

Tory seat limit now 124.

lamp
    Free Member

We’re absolutely screwed!

The last nail in the coffin for this country will be a Labour government.

Left wing parties combined have 500 seats…..i think we all will start to need for looking for a job in the public sector.

Expect every tax to increase by Labour and they will conveniently blame it on the Tories.

To coin a phrase from a popular sitcom: We’re doomed.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Green and deform on 4 seats each.
    Let’s see who gets the most time on telly.

And Plaid (two seats to four, restoring dominance in the wild West).  Mrs g came home from the count happy as Plaid’s share of the vote locally went up from 2% to 9%.  The candidate (Caedewyn Skelley) made a point of mentioning Gaza in leafletting etc., which may have had an impact in an ethnically diverse constituency with a young population.  The Green and LibDem vote shares also up, and of course Reform (the BBC website appears to be comparing votes with former UKIP votes), and if you add them all up it is greater than the Conservative loss.  Disappointing for Jo Stevens, the Labour incumbent who is a good egg and likely to be the new Welsh Secretary, to lose a chunk of votes, but this kind of reflects what has happened nationwide I suspect – voters doing what needed to be done to ditch the Conservatives but not showing great loyalty or love for Labour.

nuke

For the first time in my life, and I have voted in every election since 1982, I am represented in parliament by an MP that I voted for. I am very pleased.

Hadn’t thought of it like this but yes, finally happened for me too with Libs winning in Dorking & Horley…rather enjoying  being on the winning side for a change

chewkw
    Free Member

The last nail in the coffin for this country will be a Labour government.

Left wing parties combined have 500 seats…..i think we all will start to need for looking for a job in the public sector.

To coin a phrase from a popular sitcom: We’re doomed.

LOL! Give Labour a chance.  If they cannot deliver they will be out like any other parties before them.

dazh

I really wouldn’t worry. Not much is going to change.

Klunk
    Free Member

he he London is tory no go zone :)

Houns

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha @lamp. Good joke. Yeah we’re all so better off after the last 14 years aren’t we.

neilnevill
    Free Member

A super result. It feels a little disappointing given that it’s so far off the result predicted by so many polls. However i think mostly we doubted those polls and it is the result I think we all guessed was the likely best case.

Rip mrp?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been on the radio. 2nd lowest ever turn out. Labour lost some seats, and Labour only just won many seats.

Looks like the country isnt that confident in Labour afterall thankfully

grahamt1980

**** me! Lamp must have missed the last 14 years then

tjagain

Left wing parties combined have 500 seats…

I do not think you understand what left wing is. Lib dems are centrists. labour are centre right now

The country has been doing so well under a right wing tory government :rolleyes:

kimbers

“We’re absolutely screwed!

The last nail in the coffin for this country will be a Labour government.”

It’s mind boggling to look around at the state of the country and think that after 14 years of right wing ideology, people somehow think some vaguely left ding policies are a problem

Anyway

A lot of famous portillo moments, mogg, mercer, Shapps, Ross,

My take away memory will be having a cup of tea this morning watching Truss looking like she’s been on the ‘shrooms, stare around bemused as she lost her seat

ratherbeintobago

“Ed Davey has done well I think, but he needs to be worried about 2029.”

Meant to reply to @willard’s post but by the time I’d got back from the school run it had dropped back 3 pages…

Yes, I think there will be a recognition that they can’t hold all the seats they’ve won at the next election, *but* the strategy has worked this time (I think as targeting was better) and a lot of places where the LDs are back, are places they were strong before – I’ve not seen the full list but e.g. Tessa Munt and Lisa Smart have returned to Parliament. And the vote is slightly up I think, and they’re comfortably the third party again after the SNP implosion.

It’s really hard to see this as anything other than a good night for the LDs. They’ll still be on QT less often than Farage though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

i think we all will start to need for looking for a job in the public sector.

As long as its not the NHS. They are will continue privatisation of the NHS, just like they did last time they were in, I can see already there will be sweeping NHS Corporate cuts, where corporate functions are already on their knees.

Waiting list will go up. Labour have already said they cunning plan is to ask consultants to work longer hours (whilst taxing them more) so how much success do they think they will have with that one??

It’s mind boggling to look around at the state of the country and think that after 14 years of right wing ideology, people somehow think some vaguely left ding policies are a problem

Its mind boggling that people think that Labour are any different or have anything credibly different to offer.

lamp
    Free Member

The last few years haven’t been great under the Tories – but things will be getting a lot worse over the next few years.

Happy to revisit this in a few years and see where we are!

twistedpencil

Lamp is either Russian, or ironically given his username not very bright…

Daffy

Worrying that Reform with 4 seats actually got a bigger percentage of the national vote than the Liberal Democrats with 71. 14.3% V 12.2%.

The LD and Lab supported tactical voting from the start and the LD concentrated their efforts in seats they thought they could win. Reform went full national straight away. The challenege to the LD isn’t Reform, it’s a more likeable Labour leader. I like SKS but many don’t and many seem to be worried that Labour will rack up debts.

RustyNissanPrairie

@Funkydunc – shut up for now and come back in 14years and see if things have improved or not compared to the last 14years we’ve had.

sc-xc

You really haven’t got a clue what you are talking about Lamp. No worries.

Dickyboy

Great to see Corbyn re-elected.

J-R

“ people do NOT vote the same way in PR systems”

Only half the story. While technically true the reality of PR systems is that parties fragment and you end up with far left and right wing parties getting significant numbers of seats. Just look at Len Pen’s RN in France, and the recent success of AfD in Germany.

Under PR in the UK there is no doubt that Reform would have ended up with way more seats, probably more than LDs.

That’s not to say that PR isn’t a better system, just don’t be naive about the fact that it will give much stronger representation to voter groups you don’t like.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

@Funkydunc – shut up for now and come back in 14years and see if things have improved or not compared to the last 14years we’ve had.

Rusty – I am not just blinkered like many appear to be. This place is so polarised its untrue.

When Tony Blair bombed Iraq this place was awful in its support for it. Yet a few years on it was all swept under the carpet.

I am not pro Tory, just really dont see why people are so pleased about Labour. They have nothing to offer.

Lets come back in 2 years and see how much better things are?

Daffy

Good to see Tim Farron utterly demolish the opposition securing almost double the votes of all other candidates combined!

Kryton57

Starmer is a bit more business like that the recent lot, and has form for running a tight correct organisation.

He also has the benefit of hindsight with regard to what the Tories have done and why they’ve been stripped of power in a big way.

The Uk isn’t going to improve by Monday morning, and Labour have inherited a shit fest to deal with. But, it’s how they do that that’ll be measured. In a few years we’ll be given the choice to stick with that or go back to the Tory party, and people’s memories may well be short.

As above, we need to wait and see not jump on bandwagons as Labour “fail” to improve the colossal bit of a mess they’ve been left with over this coming weekend.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Lamp taxes increase with any new party is this your 1st election?

chewkw
    Free Member

I am not pro Tory, just really dont see why people are so pleased about Labour. They have nothing to offer.

Lets come back in 2 years and see how much better things are?

I do not see much changes and as you said, they have nothing much to offer.

mogrim

Sunlight is a good disinfectant. also people do NOT vote the same way in PR systems

That’s very optimistic, and seems to ignore the evidence from around Europe where populist parties are gaining significant power.

kelvin

2nd lowest ever turn out.

Conservative voters staying home. I know a few, they would never vote Labour, or Reform, and don’t recognise that the LibDems have moved to a position that would suit them politically.

ayjaydoubleyou

“The candidate (Caedewyn Skelley) made a point of mentioning Gaza in leafletting etc., which may have had an impact in an ethnically diverse constituency with a young population”

I’m not in Wales, so forgive any ignorance here; but why really does a Welsh-only party whose maximum possible aspiration can be a majority in Wales (or even all 32 Welsh seats); have any real business campaigning based on UK foreign policy when practically, they will be completely unable to affect it?

Fairly pointless statements to gather votes, rather than plausible manifesto-ing.

TiRed

I would not worry. Things are seldom as good as the electorate hope for, nor as bad as they fear under any government. Truth be told, the UK is a centrist country that fails to elect the obvious Lib Dem centrists due to it’s voting system. But the levers of power are limited by the economy more than anything else, and that economy is not great. Sadly Brexit has been the Conservative’s undoing, and the correlation between Reform and leave-voting is tight but unexpected. It’s also one of those broken levers that is hindering the much needed growth. At least we won’t be wasting more money on Rwanda. What a hill to die on!

ayjaydoubleyou

“For the first time in my life, and I have voted in every election since 1982, I am represented in parliament by an MP that I voted for. I am very pleased.”

Not as long as you, but every election, across 3 constituencies, first time for me too.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,361 through 7,400 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.