Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,321 through 7,360 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
    fenderextender
    Free Member

Right-o.

I’ve got a riding away day tomorrow and a busy weekend (again). It’s also the Les Gets DH, so I’ll watch that if I can.

Everyone can have their pissups, dance their jigs (I’ll be walking a lot taller and carrying a huge sense of relief too), but the real work starts Monday.

NHS on its knees.
    HE sector in crisis and about to implode.
    Putin emboldened by Biden’s weakness/stupidity.
    Far right government in France a likelihood.
    Schools still crumbling.
    Inward investment stagnated.
    Reform will remain a cancer on this country’s politics.

Starmer has the mandate. That is great. But it also means he hasn’t got the excuse.

Mogg, Truss, Gullis, Keegan, Fabricant… they can **** right off. And when they think they’ve **** off, they can **** off some more.

tomhoward

Andrea Jenkyns kicked out ?

of note, the Lib Dem candidate in my constituency was a Michael J Fox. Suspect he already knew the result.

piemonster
    Free Member

If they stay below 6 MPs they dont get Short Money from the taxpayer, and considering they are limited company 53% owned by frog face, they shouldn’t

That would be good news. I’m kinda not that bothered about Frog getting in, he’s accountable to a constituency now, and he never needed to be an MP to have a high profile platform. Obviously I’d rather Reform got annhilated on all fronts but what I want doesnt impact Reform voters not getting what they want out of the Tories.

Richie_B

Why does a Tory apologising always remind me of Rik from the Young Ones (It was not me. It was the other three)?

They start in the first person then blame everyone else.

Daffy

Wow – the SNP’s collapse is actually worse than the Conservatives.

jimw
    Free Member

For the first time in my life, and I have voted in every election since 1982, I am  represented in parliament by an MP that I voted for. I am very pleased.

I imagine a lot of campaigning for improving the water quality of the Wye swayed voters there

it had a part, but Wiggin being an arrogant and quite unpopular man locally also played a part. And, in all honesty, the 8000 votes for the Reform candidate probably did for him in the end

kormoran
    Free Member

A max of 125 for the Tories now

That is amazing to see

winston
    Free Member

I see plantation owner Drax has been kicked out of South Dorset – that’s a happy result.

Alas I’m still represented by a Tory simpleton with a quite unbelievable 9,000 majority. Lib Dem and labour tied for second place

TiRed

“A max of 125 for the Tories now”

Oooh what do I win? Predicted 120 on pages passim. To be fair it was the median of the predictions across all polls and models published a week ago. Those polls are more predictive than you might think. Its just small sample sizes needs proper aggregation for accuracy.

piemonster
    Free Member

I’m not sure I really believed Labour would get nearly 3.5 times as many seats as the Tories

Watty

I’m in Adrian Ramsey’s constituency and am pleased to say he won. The Greens really put a lot of effort in to their campaign up here in the Waveney Valley and it’s paid off.

tjagain

The most incredible result in a GE in my lifetime.  Fabulous to see the Tories out and all those vile folk like Mogg out of parliament.

Starmer is a very lucky man as its clear its a tory collapse and reform splitting the right wing vote that has created this situation not any great enthusiasm for labour.  That can be clearly seen by vote % and by the marginal not labour folk winning – 4 greens and Corbyn etc.  the myth making starts now.

Shame Streeting didn’t lose.  He is vile.

Personally – Glad to see the back of Deirdre Brock in my constituency.  I do not like liars

Now the work starts.  Can Starmer and co use this to find the courage to make the radical choices needed?

Edit – is this right?  From the Gruaniad ” Labour has won 410 seats with a 33.9% share of the vote.”  what an indictment of our crap pseudo democracy.

IHN

Well, I’ve woken up to the first Labour MP for Macclesfield ever. Like, ever.

And it’s not like he scraped it. A Labour win with a nine thousand majority, overturning an eleven thousand majority that the Tory fella had last time. Bonkers

benpinnick

Given recent track record on everything from fiddling the books, losing the green alliance, the whole trans-rights issue etc. and then pile on top of that independence being returned to effectively ‘Pipe Dream’ status its no surprise. For the people of Scotland the choice seemed pretty simple; would Scotland be better off for the next 4 years with a seat at the top table or shouting from the fringe? They have their own parliament for a lot of stuff unaffected by the GE so why wouldn’t you give Labour a punt?

The surprising part is people still voting conservative; just determined to stay at the fringe still I guess!

For me the biggest disappointment will be Ricky Holden (As he’s now known) winning by such a slim margin in Billericay. When I politely turned him down for a self-invited visit to our factory not so long ago (yes I was polite, despite not agreeing with his politics there’s still no need to break rule #1) I thought I’d never see him pop up on tv again after this GE, but no, he’s literally scraped by at the other end of the country. Never mind.

Round these parts the reform vote swings from 15-30% depending on constituency. There’s a few where its clear reform kept the Tories out, so I thank them for their efforts! You can easily guess the number they polled by by the area. The worse it gets the higher the number; as I was saying yesterday, while I cannot abide the party or its politics, I am sympathetic to why this is happened. Labour has an uphill struggle to win these people back, as the only way its going to happen is to prove to them that improvement in their lives can and is happening without getting rid of immigrants, or being less woke, or whatever the Farage crap-du-jour is.

neilthewheel

I stayed up until Richard Holden’s result came in. He was previously my MP and didn’t stay to face the music. Somehow, him hanging on is even funnier than him losing. He reduced a 20k majority to one of 20. The swing against him was something like 35%. He’ll surely be in the most marginal seat in the country now.

zippykona

Green and deform on 4 seats each.
    Let’s see who gets the most time on telly.

Houns

Ear worm this morning…

“It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, and I’m feeeeeling good”.

kelvin

Let’s see who gets the most time on telly.

I think we all know the answer to that.

Still, we have Labour, LibDem and Green MPs where have never had them before. Pause to reflect and celebrate that change in UK politics. Let’s not join in with the over the top focus on Farage and Tice’s current vehicle for spreading hate for Putin.

ditch_jockey

I say this as a long term SNP voter, but it’s not surprising unfortunately; whenever a political party’s internal machinations become bigger news than it’s achievements in office, they’re due a wake up from the electorate. This result leaves Anus Sarwar with a conundrum I’m not sure he has the savvy to negotiate – he’s now sitting on a massive majority at Westminster, but has 2 years to the Holyrood elections, so he’ll need to figure out a way to deliver a result without making the SNP administration look good along the way. Interesting times ahead, but at least the relentless Tory rolling clusterfeck is paused for a few years.

dozofoz
    Free Member

That dimwit Cleverly survived. This news spoils the result a little for me.
    His lying, arrogance and entitlement are off the charts.
    Why do folk vote for individuals like this Kay hunt.

willard

@jimw Same here. Never thought I would see my old area leave the Tories, but it’s now a LibDem seat and that makes me happy.

franksinatra

Can we just all take a moment to pause and the fact that man ape Gullis is out?

piemonster
    Free Member

Given recent track record on everything from fiddling the books, losing the green alliance, the whole trans-rights issue etc. and then pile on top of that independence being returned to effectively ‘Pipe Dream’ status its no surprise. For the people of Scotland the choice seemed pretty simple; would Scotland be better off for the next 4 years with a seat at the top table or shouting from the fringe? They have their own parliament for a lot of stuff unaffected by the GE so why wouldn’t you give Labour a punt?

I’m sure itll come out in later analysis but I think I saw Curtice state much of what little increase in vote share labour got was in Scotland. (As much a question as a statement)

amodicumofgnar

“A max of 125 for the Tories now”

Any predictions on the date and likely candidate for the first one to jump to Reform?

rone

What with Summer recess – what actually will happen in the coming weeks?

Be great now to not discuss every single minute about how rotten the Tories are (we know – we’ve lived it for years) are and look at the practical implications of what is going to happen.

That’s the real debate. No excuses make it work.

TiRed

Reverse takeover more likely. Farage wants to lead the Conservative Party. Possibly into the next but one election.

kormoran
    Free Member

anyone on x I recommend lewis godals roundup 

kelvin

Any predictions on the date and likely candidate for the first one to jump to Reform?

A year out from the next election, if Reform is even still a thing then. The key players might relaunch again under a new company name before then. Or join the Conservatives if they think they can get one of them past the Tory MPs in a leadership battle. Or both… a new brand as a takeover vehicle to use in power grab in the big old party… teaparty/maga style.

tjagain

I think this very much depends on who is made the new tory leader.  If its one of the hard right racists like Braverman then no defections.  If its a one nation Tory then the party will tear itself apart.  Likely to be a far right nutter as leader IMO

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Intend on spending the next few days laughing at the Tories and all their pathetic supporters and kicking them all viciously while they’re down. With steel toe cap boots on.

mrhoppy

Robert Bucklands interview was “robust” in criticising his (until a few minutes before) colleagues.

squirrelking
    Free Member

4 Green seats and they absolutely stomped their way in. Few Indys as well (including Corbyn). That makes me happy.

The Deform situation less so.

SNP utterly stomped on, honestly didn’t see that coming (not as bad as this anyway). Hope my new MP starts thinking about what she’s actually going to do since her campaign was just parroting vague central office stuff that wasn’t entirely within her remit.

Honestly hope that doesn’t mean Katy Clark gets back in as an MSP, she was useless as the last Labour MP.

tjagain

What with Summer recess – what actually will happen in the coming weeks?

IIRC Starmer has said he will lengthen this session to start to make headway so summer recess will be later / reduced

grahamt1980

Just a thought.

Farage and Tice are going to have to complete the register of members interests now.

That’s going to be something…..

ransos
    Free Member

I’m sure itll come out in later analysis but I think I saw Curtice state much of what little increase in vote share labour got was in Scotland. (As much a question as a statement)

He said Labour’s vote share in England was the same as 2019 and their increase overall was due to the collapse of the SNP in Scotland. Starmer has been the beneficiary of incredible good fortune, now he needs to make the most of it.

tjagain

Hahahahahahahahahaha  her face!

blokeuptheroad

Worrying that Reform with 4 seats actually got a bigger percentage of the national vote than the Liberal Democrats with 71. 14.3% V 12.2%.

Makes me seriously rethink my previous enthusiasm for PR!

dazh

Back up after two hours sleep. Going to be a looooong day at work…

Seems like FPTP has saved us from 100ish racist bigots being in parliament. It won’t next time so hopefully Starmer will take Corbyn’s advice and draw a line in the sand, stop giving ground to bigoted idiots and start making the case for a more equal society. I’m not holding my breath.

matt_outandabout

While I’m disappointed that Reform got so much of the vote, it’s all now to loose as they actually have to work for a living and be under much more scrutiny. Farage’s attendance record in the European parliament was appalling.

PrinceJohn

Liz Truss on losing to a party that has no interest in continuing the Rwanda policy –

“Well we obviously weren’t tough enough breaking international law”

Viewing 40 posts - 7,321 through 7,360 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.