Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Would that be a bigger moment than hunt getting the boot

131 seats… he’ll be one of them

binners

So does this quality as a supermajority then?

ThePinkster

As all the hard work is now starting, can I just send all the best to everyone doing the counting tonight.
    It looks like my turnout prediction was very wrong, which I’m more than happy about, so it sounds like they’re all going to be very busy.

pondo

Can’t believe people are willingly watching Dorries.

rogermoore

Is the reason we don’t have some new fangled phone/online voting ‘cos we’d then not have these action packed picture-in-picture scenes of the frantic counting folk of the north east trying to win a none-existent counting prize?
    RM.

somafunk

A fitting tribute to our new leader, only 1min long and rather amusing

frankconway

As some of the very last polls showed Reform winning 13, thar part of the exit poll isn’t a huge surprise – but is both concerning and disappointing.

At about 5pm today Labour sent a text saying that about 100 seats were too close to call and wanted everyone available to help get the vote out; don’t know if that was a genuine concern or a bit of scare-mongering.

jimster01

Is Widdecombe Farage’s mother??

fenderextender
    Free Member

“13 for reform? Shit the bed.”

That’s 13 places where house prices will (probably continue) to fall as decent people move out and they become proper Reform heartlands. Sigh.

tjagain

Such a huge majority will prove a discipline problem for Starmer. As there is no chance the government will lose a vote, MPs will feel free to kick off and vote against party lines.

also rebellions will have little power – so the threat of a rebellion can be ignored

molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to be getting coverage specific to Wales from the BBC, are we all seeing regional programmes?

Caher

I was going to stay up firstly to watch Laura Kuenssberg spiral into a pit of despair and Lord BucketHead making a well deserved break through.

faustus

Just shy of ’97 majority, and loveless landslide is a bit harsh, but not disappointing. Have to accept reform getting something from helping to take down the Tories, as much as the thought of Farage sitting in parliament disgusts me. Good on lib Dems and greens, and SNP potentially getting a shellacking…if it all transpires of course.

binners

Kwasi is sweating like a 1970’s kids TV presenter

fenderextender
    Free Member

Sunak holed up in his gaff with the shutters closed, apparently.

It’s tricky he doesn’t drink alcohol – what do you hand a teetotaller with the revolver?

molgrips
    Free Member

MPs will feel free to kick off and vote against party lines.

That sort of makes democracy look better though. You can have people showing off their consciences without your party actually losing.

fenderextender
    Free Member

“Kwasi is sweating like a 1970’s kids TV presenter”

Gak does that to folk, I am told.

scotroutes

@tjagain – I’ve also abstained for the first time. I can absolutely understand that it’s possible not to want to supoort any of the parties/candidates. My hope is that a bloodied SNP will re-focus back onto the independence question, after a bit of a clear out. However, I’m not expecting anything to change soon.

pondo

It’s tricky he doesn’t drink alcohol – what do you hand a teetotaller with the revolver?

A sandwich, he loves ’em.

tjagain

There are Tories out there that I can disagree with their methods, but their hearts and objectives are not unreasonable – they want everyone to do well but they think centre right policies are the way to do it. I disagree, but they are not bad people

I disagree strongly with this.  The tory party has one reason for existing – to keep power and wealth in the hands of the powerful and wealthy.   Any party member is a part of this – the deliberate cruelty and impoverishment of the poor old and unhealthy is  deliberate.  they have blood on their hands.  sure some have the capacity for self delusion but that does not make them decent people.

Tom-B
    Free Member

13 reform…..I’d love to see a list of the 13 likely winners. Going to be some proper wrong uns with short political careers in there!

zippykona

Dorries is a truly **** hideous person…but we already knew that.

pondo

There are Tories out there that I can disagree with their methods, but their hearts and objectives are not unreasonable 

There were – not now.

Fueled
    Free Member

Channel 4 need to do that thing where they turn off the mics of people who are not suppoosed to be talking.

Or just tell Nadine to get out.

richardkennerley

At about 5pm today Labour sent a text saying that about 100 seats were too close to call and wanted everyone available to help get the vote out; don’t know if that was a genuine concern or a bit of scare-mongering.

Our local Labour candidate was down our street with a gang of followers at 6pm this evening, first time I’ve seen anyone out canvassing, and the first leaflet I’ve received throughout the whole thing. There were 8 candidates on the ballot, not heard of 6 of them before today!

binners

Nadine… a tip… don’t pick arguments with people a million times more intelligent than you

tjagain

Ta Scotroutes.  One side effect if they really do lose all those seats is perhaps some repatriation of talent back north of the border

kormoran
    Free Member

I am very disappointed that Tory are projected 131 AND reform 13

I anticipated a much lower number for the Tories in the event of reform performing well. Much much lower.

Let’s see how it pans out.

ernielynch

13  Reform UK MPs if true is a disaster imo but the one consolation for me is that the Tories will be significantly stronger than many/most polls predicted and that will blunt the toxic effect of Reform UK being in Parliament to a degree.

If the Tories are sensible they will leave the far-right territory to Reform UK and work with Labour and the LibDems to isolate them.

Although I suspect that they might well be tempted to go for the knee jerk reaction and move further to the right.

The Tories will never be able to out right-wing Nigel Farage. They have been trying to do so for years and result of that looks like 13 seats for Reform UK.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

the thought of Farage sitting in parliament disgusts me.

Don’t worry, it disgusts him even more. He won’t show up much.

tjagain

I always thought the numbers posited for the Tories were too low – my own estimate was 200 tories

ransos
    Free Member

Just went to fetch a bottle of sparkling and we only have Prosecco. I can’t believe I was so badly organised

dissonance

So does this quality as a supermajority then?

No it doesnt. Stop repeating tory propaganda.
    That is only relevant in some countries legislatures which dont include ours.
    A win by one is as good as a win by 200 (unless its a recent tory government in which case that one and a few more would soon have a byelection for some misconduct offence or another).

molgrips
    Free Member

Chap on my telly says that the exit poll results actually have about 30 seats credited to the Tories are actually too close to call or within the margin of error.

ernielynch

I anticipated a much lower number for the Tories in the event of reform performing well. Much much lower.

Yes I think most people did. It suggests that Labour’s share of the vote isn’t as large as most polls predicted.

They haven’t announced percentages yet have they?

Cougar

How the eff did reform (all lower case on purpose) get 13 on the exit poll???

I said this earlier. It’s a mistake to underestimate them. We said “this can’t possibly happen” in 2016.

The Right is VERY good at appealing to the heart. Just like there was a percentage who didn’t know how to vote in the referendumb but had Remain sold to them as “do nothing” and so voted Leave to reject the status quo, there will be a good number of people disengaged from anything political who saw the word “reform” and thought “well that’s a good idea, it’s all a bit shit so let’s try something else.”

Still. If they’ve split the Send Them Back Where They Came From voters away from the Tories I can’t complain too loudly.

kormoran
    Free Member

13 Reform UK MPs if true is a disaster imo

My thoughts too. Way too many

dissonance

Don’t worry, it disgusts him even more. He won’t show up much.

Depends how good the wine selection is in the bars. With the discounts on offer he might be tempted.
    Otherwise yeah I reckon once a week for PMQs to try to grandstand.

ChrisL

I hope that the media watches any Reform MPs like a hawk. They’re bound to do something awful soon enough. It’d be good to keep an eye on their expenses I expect, such as how much they claim compared to how much they actually do.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.