Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

use local ingredients

Nope, most use vast quantities of American Hops, because that’s whats trendy right now.

Next year it’ll be trappists and sours as this years hop harvest was woefull.

But it has to be real ale, .

Oxymoron, Real-ale is a definition by CAMRA, a lot of Craft brewers don’t sell it in that format because it’s actually difficult for the pubs. If a pub want’s to have a ‘Craft’ IPA on tap, if it’s Cask (real ale) then it needs to be gone in 2-3 days otherwise it’s off. A village pub isn’t going to do anywhere near that mid-week. That’s where keg’s come in, they’re pressurized, and remain sanitary so the beer lasts indefinitely. But it won’t have a CAMRA “this is real ale” sticker on it, but in all likely hood will taste better, or at least hoppier & fresher.

If you drink froth from Burton on Trent then you have to accept your comments aren’t really worth considering now are they….

Nothing wrong with ale from Burton. It’s brewed there for very good reason, the water is great for Brown ales and Milds.

Northwind

mrlebowski – Member

WHAT’S WRONG WITH A PLATE?!

I don’t usually eat at the sort of place that inspires WE WANT PLATES rage but on sunday my burger came served on a sort of stupid long chopping board thing. There was nowhere to put the bits of salad I didn’t want so after a little consideration I just chucked them on the table.

RustySpanner

Tie their beards together and fling them seaward.
    At low tide.
    From cliffs.
    Onto rocks.
    Big, sharp, pointy ones.
    ITOLTBU!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Late to the party…
    2/3 is fine and a good idea.
    Drink pints here unless it’s bonkers strong.

Also get over yourselves

Stoner
    Free Member

2/3rds of a pint?!??!

For DD, that’s nearly an armful!

D0NK

it does make you wonder how many bar owners/managers fervently believe that anything drunk out of a standard pint glass tastes like gnats piss and how many just think “hey, we can sell 2/3 of a pint and charge them more than the price of a normal pint, muahahahaha, MUGS!”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2/3rds of a pint?!??!

For DD, that’s nearly an armful a swimming pool!

mattyfez

Round my way it’s for really strong speciality ales that are 7% plus, you don’t want to be drinking it by the pint.

paladin

wondered how that would work with the weights and measures act, but apparently

Draught beer and cider – Third, half, two-thirds of a pint and multiples of half a pint

are acceptable.

A third of a pint? 🙁

neilthewheel

If I get served breakfast on a fing coal shovel, said server will end up wearing said coal shovel…..

It’s how it was done in the days of steam on the railways. Fireman would cook breakfast on the coal shovel, in the locomotive’s firebox. Of course, for the full effect you need to fry it over half a hundredweight of nutty slack.

RustySpanner

Get over yourself?

No.

I’ll not be sold a artisinal pint for twice the price by some nostalgic fopp, younger than my t-shirt, who thinks sweeping up in a brewery for 18 months qualifies him to squander his trust fund pushing up the price of decent beer.
    🙂

The sea’s over there.
    I’ll look after your coat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why, we pay the right proportion for beer for the glass you get. It’s quite simple

docrobster
    Free Member

A few weeks ago was at a local pub car park beer festival. There was a guy there from meantime brewery (in Greenwich, geddit?)
    He was giving us samples to try and telling us all about the beers- how ipa was invented for the ships going off with the east India company etc (so how you have a Belgian or American style ipa I don’t know- like English style champagne?)
    Any how the meantime ipa is 7.4% and tasted every bit that strong. I probably had a half altogether in small tasting shots. Wouldn’t have wanted any more.
    Anyone in Sheffield interested in decent beer I’d recommend this place we tried at the weekend:
    http://www.sentinelbrewing.co/
    They give you the option to buy it in 1/3, 1/2, pint or growlers to take away.
    Food looked good although didn’t try it and not sure how it is presented whether on fine porcelains or coal shovels

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice work so far Rusty. 🙂

@wrecker, it’s Bambalan, just opened at bottom of Colston tower. You can only see it properly from Colston Hall side though.

We did have a quick game of table tennis on the Cornholio tables they’ve installed on the balcony. Followed by Father John Misty. It was all very hipster. 😀

Cougar

In fairness, hipster strength IPA will have you on the floor if you drink pints!

It’s the same strength whether you drink it in pint glasses, litre tankards or shot glasses.

A third of a pint?

Common at beer festivals where you want to taste a wide variety of different things.

They give you the option to buy it in 1/3, 1/2, pint or growlers to take away.

Enterprising, but does that not affect the taste?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Does the weights and measures act not say it’s 1/22 or a pint? Etc pretty sure when my mate ran a boozer if he had been serving up 2/3rds he wouldn’t have been open if trading standards found out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cant be arsed with most of these hipster IPAs. Massively over hopped so that thats all you get in the nose and the tastebuds and too strong to have a decent session without ending up a dribbling incoherent wretch. I prefer something with a bit of depth not just HOPS! HOPS! HOPS!

wrecker
    Free Member

Round my way it’s for really strong speciality ales that are 7% plus, you don’t want to be drinking it by the pint.

This only works if you only have one though surely?
    I really like this new alcohop beer, but I can’t stand the asshattery which seems to come with it. I bought a bottle of “IPA” from some bloke wearing sackloth pantaloons, a tweed waistcoat and a waxed moustache recently and it was horrific.

Enterprising, but does that not affect the taste?

Fantastic, bravo!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bought a bottle of “IPA” from some bloke wearing sackloth pantaloons, a tweed waistcoat and a waxed moustache recently and it was horrific.

Where the shit provided by mainstream brewers of bland crap was awesome. Here is the clue it’s a taste thing it’s really quite personal.

geoffj

Beer was nice, but I wasn’t paying for a lecture from a man in a waxed beard

😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it does make you wonder how many bar owners/managers fervently believe that anything drunk out of a standard pint glass tastes like gnats piss and how many just think “hey, we can sell 2/3 of a pint and charge them more than the price of a normal pint, muahahahaha, MUGS!”

Thing is you’ve got to convince customers away from mega-brewery drink and onto something ‘different’. Green King IPA tastes like it does because it’s cheap. Compared to say a 7% IIPA there’s about 50% more grain in the IIPA, and probably 4x-10x the hops.

As an example (because I have the recopies in front of me), to brew 20l

Timothy taylors landlord (I like landlord, it’s just a convenient example of a cheap-ish brew)
    4kg pale malt
    2oz of UK hops

IIPA
    6kg of grain (mostly pale, some carapils, some melanoidin)
    15oz of USA hops

That’s expensive. Roughly 5-8x more expensive, and it’s stronger. Now if you’re happy paying £3.50 a pint for normal beer, then that’s roughly (because transport and the pubs overheads, etc are similar), £5 for a pint, or nearer £7 in London if you’re normally paying £5.

So do you sell people a pint of beer at 50% more cost than the competition, or sell them a glass proportional to it’s strength and flavor? You wouldn’t serve Red wine in a pint, or Whiskey by the 250ml wine glass?

That and the fact people just following a crowd and drinking what they’re told to drink rather than figuring it out for themselves will think stuff is better if it arrives in a fancy package and costs more, so 330ml measures and tulip glasses.

binners

You wouldn’t serve Red wine in a pint

Speak for yourself.

wrecker
    Free Member

Where the shit provided by mainstream brewers of bland crap was awesome. Here is the clue it’s a taste thing it’s really quite personal.

I know my beer ta, and it was properly shit. Tasted like rubbish bitter with a measure of whiskey in it and it made me shiver as I drank it. And there are plenty of major brewers who make perfectly good ale, certainly better than a lot of the crap peddled as “craft” (which is a shit term). Everyone seemed to like it before these Mumford wannabes came along.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess it’s hard for people who can count how many pints they drink on their fingers to change

dazh

I cant be arsed with most of these hipster IPAs.

On the flip side I recently had the pleasure(?) of doing the Stalybridge – Dewsbury real ale trail and witnessed the irony of all the coked-up stag and hen party brigade drinking dark fruits strongbow in every pub. I reckon I’m more comfortable on the hipster side of the great beer divide 🙂

Speak for yourself.

I get told off at home for drinking pints of gin and tonic.

binners

This all seems very complicated. Why take any unnecessary risks? Stick with what you know….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know my beer ta, and it was properly shit.

I know many people “who know their beer” who can’t get a saison or good sour beer,try some good smoked beer. Not everyone likes everything

wrecker
    Free Member

I can generally have a crack at most stuff this side of hobgoblin (although I’m no fan of porter). I’m pretty open minded and willing to explore to find a gem. This stuff was just plainly horrible.

It tasted like the alcohol sat seperately to the beer, like a real spirit taste and had a disgusting aftertaste.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My old local used to sell beer priced according to strength. Good idea, imo. Also, with some of the really strong stuff, they only serve in halves.

jam-bo

Also, with some of the really strong stuff, they only serve in halves.

I went in a cider bar once in Bristol that only served in halves because it was allegedly so strong.

everyone just bought two halves…

RustySpanner

Totally pro smaller brewers and diversity BTW.

Bonneville in bits etc, drank in some of Manchester and Salford’s finest shiteholes in the days when you couldn’t get decent beer in the city centre.
    Delighted at how things have improved.

But CAMRA was about putting real beer back into local pubs at prices people could afford.
    Not identikit, over strength IPA sold to idiots by shysters at prices that would make a printer ink magnate weep with envy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Beer died the day they sold Hartleys. Everything else tastes of regret of disappointment now.

aracer
    Free Member

Off you go then…

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m on the fence about the 2/3rds thing. It is a bit poncey and pointless (just go for a half if it’s silly strength and you don’t want to get too hammered) but then again you get (equally poncy) 330ml bottles.

People that have just opened up artisan craft beer hipster places and go on about it (i.e. regurgitate the brewery’s marketing spiel) in the same way Rapha clad nu-roadies set up bike shops selling only ridiculously pricey and “better cos it is” bikes and parts to people that will never ever race on it wind me up though. Get a grip.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Imagine if you came from somewhere that had 1/3, half, 2/3 and pint measures based on the style and substance of the beer. Then come to a place that only serves 2 sizes and people getting up their arse about it.

ourmaninthenorth

Very nearly had a similar issue to DD last night:

Two pints of craft lager & two small bowls of wasabi peas. “That’ll be fifteen pounds please.”

It was only the barman holding on the to £20 note that stopped me falling backwards.

“Craft” lager? In Shepherd’s Bush? For FIFTEEN **** QUID!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I bought a bottle of “IPA” from some bloke wearing sackloth pantaloons, a tweed waistcoat and a waxed moustache recently and it was horrific.

It wasn’t the guy who runs The Incredible Brewing Company was it? (Your pic on one of your other posts isn’t showing.)

binners

“Craft” lager? In Shepherd’s Bush? For FIFTEEN **** QUID!

Any establishment that puts the words ‘craft’ and lager’ together, without bursting into hysterical fits of laughter, deserves to be fire-bombed!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve just seen your pic wrecker. I knew exactly who you meant as soon as you described him. And the reason I know him is I know where he brews all his stuff; in a storage unit in Broomhill at the storage company where I store all my kit. 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Ha! I spent a good few of my formative years living in Broomhill!One of the little council flats, I forget the name of the crescent.
    The owner is a bit of a dick, offered me a sample, realised the sample bottle was empty so cracked another and took £4.50 off me! And it was truly disgusting!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?’ is closed to new replies.