Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?
  • mefty
    Free Member

A man could conquer worlds with a name like that.

One of them has, he runs the company that does the phone votes for American Idol etc. It was a fine beer.

Cougar

Boddies was ace.
    A proper session pint, the gold top of beer, a genuine meal replacement.

Boddies Cask was ace.

I think the only time I can recall getting a pint of regular Boddington’s that wasn’t fit to clean boots with was from the Brewery Tap when they were still brewing at Strangeways.

A man could conquer worlds with a name like that.

Are you thinking of Bonnington? (-:

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Schooners? Pwaw, you’re not doing too badly, guys. In my (new) local, I was fed up with annoying 300ml bottles (in combination with very slow table service being the norm), it was just not slaking my thirst!

I perused the drinks menu looking for the largest looking serving, based on the handsome pictures provided…

It turned out to be a Warstiener, which when it came 10 minutes later was a 200ml bottle, served with a flourish!

It seems the photos are “not to scale”

Hardly worth it really, but apparently just ordering 5 at a time is considered uncouth, and will only harm the image of the Brits.

I might upload a photo of the local later though, it makes it just about worthwhile!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Boddies Mild was rather tasty too.
    Whilst we may mock Theakstons and Boddies (and perhaps John Smiths, although that is justified these days), they did at least continue to brew proper beers when most other stuff went to keg. Ok they were bought out by the biggies and were more a brand towards the later days. They did at least make proper beer. If they didnt, perhaps proper beer may have gone almost completely, if the biggies had had their way, it would have.
    It does trouble me a little that, yes microbrewing is very popular now, what happens when the next drinking fad comes along? Remember Irish beers and themed pubs in the 90’s? Its pretty rare to see Caffreys and Murphys on sale anywhere these days.

Its quite interesting to realise that Camra has more or less achieved its goal of keeping REAL beer freely available and it is flourishing. Its taken nigh on 50 years to return to the times of plenty and choice. Lets hope that things dont regress when the hipster bubble bursts (and it will!).

Drac

Schooners are for people with no taste in beer.

I give you the shameful beer of the north east in its traditional glass, a schooner.

2/3 glasses should only be for beers over 10%.

mattyfez

To be honest, I was a strict lager drinker until this real ale stuff became popular, and I actually prefer it to lager unless the weathers really hot, although im strictly a blonde style drinker, can’t stand dark ones.

I used to think that things like john smiths was just something that old men drink in wetherspoons, and it tastes like dish water to me.

So whether it Hipsters or CAMRA or both, I’m gratefull for the exraordinary variety of different flavours available now.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sssscho am *hic* I.

mattyfez

2/3 glasses should only be for beers over 10%.

Unless you know, you want to try a few different ones throughout your evening without getting totally bombed, find one you really like, then go for the pints. Most pubs rotate thier stock every so often so going strignht for a pint of a new type is a bit of a waste if you dont like it.

orangespyderman

I’m pretty sure they never stopped production completely – but I don’t think the old brewery could have coped with the subsequent volumes

You may be right. Think Old peculier was still made there for a while. The local pubs did stop being able to get wooden casks of Best Bitter, though, and the taste changed as a result. A lot.

ads678

I used to go for the black lagers or coopers in Aus back in 98/99

In NZ, Montieths brewery in greymouth was my favourite!

Drac

Unless you know, you want to try a few different ones throughout your evening without getting totally bombed, find one you really like, then go for the pints. Most pubs rotate thier stock every so often so going strignht for a pint of a new type is a bit of a waste if you dont like it.

Any good pub will let you have a taste for free to save you buying a drink you don’t like.

To be honest, I was a strict lager drinker until this real ale stuff became popular,

It’s been popular since I started drinking many moons ago, it’s had some what of revival in recent years in being available in pretty much most pubs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it’s had some what of revival in recent years

I think that’s rather understating the ale revival.

Drac

I think that’s rather understating the ale revival.

Lots of new breweries popped up that’s for sure.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Bloody hell. A “Tulip” glass.

How the hell you gonna glass someone with a tulip glass?

Carter would be mortified….

mefty
    Free Member

It gone from a declining market like all other beers to a small growth market – but still very much dominated in volume terms by the bigger Brewers.

RustySpanner

Simon_Semtex – Member

Ah, CAMRA’s militant wing, the Provisional IPA.

A petition and a few leaflets to start with, surely?

binners

I just had a pint (well…. 2) of this at the bloody brilliant brewery down the road. It was very nice indeed, came in a pint glass, with a handle, wasn’t served by someone with a waxed moustache, and I didnt have to take out another mortgage. Nobody used the word ‘craft’ during the experience, thankfully, so no prices were doubled.

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Assume at 4.4%, that was for Debs then binbins. What did you have yourself?

binners

A pint of red wine in a jam jar

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

With a shot of knock off voddie thrown in I hope.

binners

Of course. Projectile vomited on the way home without even breaking stride

matt_outandabout

At the opposite end of the scale, the hotel I stayed at on Skye last night had no local beer, or Scottish for that matter.

I nearly ended up with a can, sat at the end of the pier. (Natch)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Binners, Ahh, but was it “proper” like?

aracer
    Free Member

Unless you know, you want to try a few different ones throughout your evening without getting totally bombed, find one you really like, then go for the pints. [/quote]

ISTM there’s already a standard alternative measure if that’s what you want to do, one which is even more suitable for the purpose (and what I tend to drink beers in when at a festival, in order to try as many different ones as possible).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Where small and strong beers are traditional.

alpin
    Free Member

I meekly said, “Oh, right, I’ll have two thirds of a pint of that then.”

you name will also go on the list…

when the times comes… PfffuuuoootttTTT! (that is the sound of a magic explosion where you disappear)

CountZero

Oxymoron, Real-ale is a definition by CAMRA, a lot of Craft brewers don’t sell it in that format because it’s actually difficult for the pubs. If a pub want’s to have a ‘Craft’ IPA on tap, if it’s Cask (real ale) then it needs to be gone in 2-3 days otherwise it’s off. A village pub isn’t going to do anywhere near that mid-week. That’s where keg’s come in, they’re pressurized, and remain sanitary so the beer lasts indefinitely. But it won’t have a CAMRA “this is real ale” sticker on it, but in all likely hood will taste better, or at least hoppier & fresher.

My ‘local’, (it’s about five miles away, about the same distance my drinking mate lives, so we have to drive to get a beer), had Landlord on last week, they’d gone through two barrels in three days, not much left by the time we got there Friday night.
    Not sure what’ll be on this week, Sharp’s Atlantic was the other last week, and they may well start having a third pump very soon.
    😀

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Simon_Semtex – Member
    Ah, CAMRA’s militant wing, the Provisional IPA.

A petition and a few leaflets to start with, surely?
    Well done sir, very well done!

neilthewheel

650ml glasses bring the beer alive

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner…. Provisional IPA?……Chapeau Sir!

That did make me laugh!

WildHunter2009

It’s part of the beer drinking lottery out in the Wild West. Middies, schooners, metric bloody pints and proper pints, and possibly something called a pony that’s pretty much a shot glass. I just ask for pints and accept whatever I’m given.

WildHunter2009

On the bright side the beers fantastic. Australia and especially WA is producing some amazing stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Too many sizes how will they cope (some are just further away 😉 )
    My local has the first tasting from their new Brewery

another new one opens

Bright Brewery, sponsors of round one of the national enduro series

Beer in small cans – some people are going to be getting really upset now…

Not bad for WA

Full Tassie bar

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and to add some context there are some definitions of “Craft Brewery”
    From the US

An American craft brewer is “small, independent and traditional”. This is defined as:

Small: Annual production of beer less than 2 million barrels.
    Independent: Less than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by an alcoholic beverage industry member who is not themselves a craft brewer.
    Traditional: A brewer who has either an all malt flagship (the beer which represents the greatest volume among that brewers brands) or has at least 50% of it’s volume in either all malt beers or in beers which use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavour.
    No mention of beards, hipsters or hair waxing.
    Simply a definition of how it’s made and it’s independence from the main stream.

They are sorting the definitions over here, lots of bars simply say we sell independent beers, so nothing from the subsidiaries of the major brewers, nothing against them just giving the little guy the chance.

Round here a pint starts about $8 (tax reasons) most decent local beers (craft) are about $10-12 the bigger the ingredient list or process needed the more it goes up. Local did some small batch Whyskey cask aged (American/Aus style) IPA that was up nearer $14 but came out around 9%

Imported goes up a bit more

Regardless as I’m sure will make the grumpy more happy about things you can run off and blame brewdog

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/brewdog-changes-the-law

MrSmith
    Free Member

You tightfisted lot just want something to moan about.
    There are plenty of breweries, brewery taps and craft beer bars near where I live serving all sorts of beers in various sizes. Some of these establishments sell burgers with ‘heritage tomatoes’ and ‘artisan brioche buns’.

Do you really want fizzy john smiths and a sausage roll that’s sat in a glass case on the bar for 2 days with a pickled egg?

As my mother would say “afraid they might like it”.

mefty
    Free Member

You tightfisted lot just want something to moan about.

No its the zealotry that I find rather tedious – we are not talking about fizzy John Smiths, we are talking about traditional Real Ale, which is a natural living product, historically and still often based locally and using local ingredients – I would say that is a lot more “artisan”, whatever that means, than a craft beer made from imported ingredients.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I like to have ‘brown beer’ too, and yes it’s not always readily available. makes it more enjoyable when you do find it though 🙂

Northwind

mefty – Member

I would say that is a lot more “artisan”, whatever that means

It’s a synonym of ****.

Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?’ is closed to new replies.